Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RobK

Taking good bacteria with anti biotics?

Heya, I've been on Doxycycline for almost a week now, and I really haven't had ANY side effects... sleep good, feel good, not weak or anything.. Should I take some sort of good bacteria supplement? My breakouts are like GONE almost using doxycycline, differin and evoclin.. So it is working so amazingly well, and it has been only less than a week. I really don't wanna screw it up or anything or risk breaking out.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Whenever myself or my kids are on any kind of antibiotics we take supplements or eat yogurt with live bacteria, just to keep things in balance internally. I prefer to do it by eating yogurt (it's a lot cheaper too!) -- just check the labels.

Cashmira biggrin.gif

Guest Marino
Whenever myself or my kids are on any kind of antibiotics we take supplements or eat yogurt with live bacteria, just to keep things in balance internally.  I prefer to do it by eating yogurt (it's a lot cheaper too!) -- just check the labels.

Cashmira biggrin.gif

Most definantly take a probiotic while your on antibiotics so you will put the good bacteria back into your body. Antibiotics don't discriminate and they will kill ALL bacteria in the body, whether it's good or bad. It won't hurt to eat a little yogurt everyday! smile.gif

but the amount of acidophilus & bifidus found in yoghurt is no where near high enough to actually significantly repair the damage done to your gut flora by antibiotics. you would have to eat something like 30 tubs of yoghurt to gain the same benefit from one supplement capsule.

i am on a long term course of erythromycin (along with roaccutane) and take my acidophilus away from my antibiotics. at least 3 hours away -- so have antibiotics in morning (7am), then acidophilus at 11am, then lunch at 1, then more antibiotics at 7pm, then acidophilus at 11pm.

normally i probably wouldnt give too much of a crap but antibiotics = yeast infection for me. not fun.