Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question.... Does insurance help cover any of these treatments: c02 laser, dermabrasion, chemical peels, or fillers?

or are all these treatments considered cosmetic?

I doubt it. I had blue cross, and although the description of benefits said it would pay for scar revision to scars caused by injury or illness, they wouldn't pay for my CO2 laser resurfacing. Some people in the UK have mentioned that the National Health Service will pay for it though. If you do get an insurance company to cover it, let us know!

I certainly think they should cover it for people who have significant scarring. After all they cover cosmetic procedures for other types of disfiguring diseases and conditions.

Four of my full face dermabrasions (done in the early 1990s) were covered by my parents insurance. The spot dermabrasion I had in 1995 was not. My CO2 laser in '97 was not covered, nor was my punch floats/final dermabrasion with Dr. Y this past year.

It totally sucks that insurance doesn't cover severe acne scarring. A couple of years ago I wrote a letter trying to get my insurance company to cover part of the cost of scar treatment, and even sent pics of how bad the scarring was, and they declined me, saying it was a cosmetic procedure. I didn't feel like it was a cosmetic procedure when I wasn't asking for perfect skin, I just wanted to be "normal" and not so damn self-conscious all the time. It seems unfair that people with acne not only have to suffer for years with skin that's breaking out, but then we have to pay even more money to get the scars treated. I felt like the scars I had from acne were more traumatic than the kind I would have had if I were in an auto accident, because there's such a societal stigma about acne, but unfortunately my insurance company didn't give a rip.

My cousin told me that when she was in high school she got to have some kind of spot on her face - i think it was a mole - removed for free, because she told her shrink it made her super depressed and self conscious, so I guess he was able to get some kind of exception for her. Who knows, I might have been able to get the insurance company to pay for some kind of scar treatment if I just kept fighting it but I just didn't have the energy.

Libby