Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi guys. My sister is about to be put on an antibiotic. I'm assuming its either going to be doxy or mino. Is there a significant difference between the two? Does one tend to be more effective than the other? I'm just curious. Thanks!

I have taken both, and I find that mino is much more effective. But to get my two sense in, I just want you to tell her that antibiotics are just a short term solution and really do nothing but fuck you up long term. The anti's make your face not fight the bacteria that causes acne properly and gets rid of many of the good bacterias in your body. Unless the acne is scaring your face you should just stop using harsh cleansers, eat healthy, and just ride it out until your body can fight it away. If it is scaring then look into accutane or something to stop oil production so that you dont have to use BP all of your life. Not to be a pest but just trying to help you out the best I can.....

How long does it usually take before you should see results with antibiotics. I've been on doxy for 2 months and it's not really helping the breakouts so far.

How long does it usually take before you should see results with antibiotics. I've been on doxy for 2 months and it's not really helping the breakouts so far.

For me doxy kicked in on the 2nd or 3rd day, though it might have been differin or evoclin... I'm guessing its the doxy tho. But people are different.

I was on zithromax, it wasn't doing anything. Today I found a whole bottle of doxy in my closet and I told me my mom switching to it and she said she agrees its a good idea. So I took it today, for the first time in maybe a year. I stopped taking it last year because it was summer time and i wanted to go outside. I know this is short term stuff, just like BP and SA and stuff. My derm mentioned Accutane and my mom said no way. But I told he rtoday after I had a realy big PMS fit(I'm a guy, so my mom was stunned I almost put a whole in the wall and my brother) that I'm not worried about Accutane's side effects, I'm more worried about if i go on it that its not going to work for me. Its really not that bad, its just we've tried everything and it does jack. She said Okay, I'm going to talk to your grandmother about it, shes a pharmicist and really monitors every medecine or anything we take or do to our face. So I might take Accutane, I really just want this all to go away. Is this a good idea?

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll be sure to inform her of the negatives of the antibiotic and hope she takes them into consideration. She's not scaring yet...and I just don't want her to get to that point. Hmm. I'm definately going to put her on topical Vit A regardless to control oil. Hopefully that will help her out like it has me. Thanks again biggrin.gif