Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rate the over-the counter medicine. What has worked the best for you? I just started getting acne and I don't like it...

I really want to help you but....I've had it forever and tried about everything. It's a pretty tall order of a question!

Maybe this will help.... My opinions....

Bar soaps mostly suck, All toners w/ alcohol suck, All scrubs suck too...tho I do think Dermalogica has a fairly non-invasive scrub.

I hate....Stridex {ouch!!!}, Clearsil {lame}, and Oxy{painfully lame}.

Neutrogena is OK for the most part but I've been disenchanted by almost ALL of their cleansers at one point.

If your JUST getting acne, pls take some advice from someone who's been at it for 17 years. Don't use needles, knives, tweezers, boiling water, or any other devices used for torture on your face, don't try to extract unless you ACTUALLY had extractions professionally done, just reading about it isn't enough. Don't squeeze unless you want broken blood vessles, don't experiment w/ any household crap like rubbing alcohol, peroxide, neosporin, Boil-Eaze, Comet, etc. Toothpaste is ok, but only if you are trapped in your bathroom for a few days.

Not everything works for everyone. Say this 5x's!! Dan's regimen rocks for the most part, I've adopted my modified version of it.

AND!!!! Don't be fooled into thinking a Derm will know everything and a prescription means a cure. This will only make you cry in disappointment & frustration.

I hope your acne is a fluke and you don't need to be sucked into being a productwhore for years like me!

Good luck

Agree with all Shatangi has to say. =D>

I have more.

There are 2 really important psychologies that you need to adopt:

- Sorry - there is no guarantee your acne will spontaneously dissappear...start treating it immediately - you can manage the problem and avoid scarring.

- Your skin is your friend not your enemy. When you have acne your skin needs your help - not for you to turn against it (re-read Shatangis comments about skin torture) Balance any treatment with the question? will this help fight acne without totally undermining my skin's....sensitivity to sun, moisture levels, acid levels etc etc.

Product advice.

-If you assume your skin is acne prone and sensitive and buy products accordingly then you help eliminate some of the ingredients that cause many people problems.

- Avoid bar cleansers, scrubs

- Avoid all major acne brands - clearasil, oxy etc for general skincare products such as cleansers or moisturisers. They colour and scent their products, assume your skin is massively oily and use unecessarily high concentrations of active ingredients.

- For topical spot treatments - start with the lowest concentration first

My picks:

Moisturisers: Plain old original oil of Olay, Avene, clarins, dermalogica moisturisers, neutrogena pore refining cream, and probably cetaphil and paulas choice moisturisers (never tried either...but they get good press here)

Cleansers: Cetaphil liquid!!!!

Topicals: 2.5% bp

Check Dan's supplies page on this site.

kinda feel like Frances & I are tag teaming you, but she reminded me that perhaps telling you what I use currently could be helpful:

Purpose face wash, MD formulations face creme, plexion skin cream OR neutrogena on-the-spot. Plexion is prescription & sulfur based & very good with day use {won't bleach your clothes} but doesn't seem to have the drying effect of bp on whiteheads etc. So I switch according to what's on my face, what I'm wearing {bleach resistant}, etc. BP is still the best. I use 2.5%. It doesn't have to hurt, sting, or dry you out to be working. In fact, it's usually the opposite!

Namaste'

Ahh...the wonderful question of, "Just how much money have YOU spent to get rid of your acne?" Not to mention the fact that the products you purchase 9 times out of 10 simply do not work at all.

I stumbled upon this website two days ago. Recently, within the last month, my face has just exploded with acne. I usually do not have a problem with it at all, only the minor zit or two every once in a while. I have extremely oily skin, but I can deal with that when I do not have zits to add on to it all.

My usual products were no longer working, so I began delving into my checkbook and trying it all. That, by no means, is a good idea, either. Do not jump back and forth from one product to another product to yet another product. The more numerous the variety of products you are using during a given time span can just rip your skin apart. Too much irritation, plain and simple. Stick with something, give it a month or so, then switch if it still doesn't work. I have nothing to work with in the patience department, so I learned the hard way.

Do not use Clean and Clear, it is a hopeless excuse for a product all the way around. Oxy is brutal, at least for my skin. Everyone is right, while 10% BP works...it is just way to harsh. My zits would clear-up, but I would be left with inflamed skin and enough peeling and dryness to sink a battle ship. It's not worth it. Clearasil is okay, but it really just fits into the usual category of 'pointless' product. Basically, anything with salicylic acid does nothing, at least not for me.

As far as soaps, use nothing with any fragrances, oils, etc. in it. I used Dove bar soap for a while. It did soften my face quite a bit, but it did nothing for the break-outs. It did not worsen them, nor did it help them, either. Right now, I am using Olay Foaming Face Wash. It is inexpensive (around $4.00). The best part of it, is the simple fact that it has no fragrances, no color additives, it is 100% soap and oil free, and it does what it says by removing dirt and oil without overdying. Also, another added bonus, it has a natural moisturizer built in, which is oil free. I have only been using it about a week, but I am quite pleased with the results. My skin is soft and my acne has diminished 'slightly'

When it comes to topical creams, BP does work very well. I have had the best results with Neutrogena, yet I had never tried their spotless BP cream. I purchased it today, as a result of hitting this site, and I am praying to the great one above that it works. I did try the new product out by Stridex, called 'Fruit Therapy'. It works so-so. It will dry out your face, though, cause redness and severe peeling for the first few days of use. It cleared up the blackheads on my nose, but really did very little for the acne which I have around my chin area.

which products do you use now?

Ahh...the wonderful question of, "Just how much money have YOU spent to get rid of your acne?"  Not to mention the fact that the products you purchase 9 times out of 10 simply do not work at all.

I stumbled upon this website two days ago.  Recently, within the last month, my face has just exploded with acne.  I usually do not have a problem with it at all, only the minor zit or two every once in a while.  I have extremely oily skin, but I can deal with that when I do not have zits to add on to it all.

My usual products were no longer working, so I began delving into my checkbook and trying it all.  That, by no means, is a good idea, either.  Do not jump back and forth from one product to another product to yet another product. The more numerous the variety of products you are using during a given time span can just rip your skin apart.  Too much irritation, plain and simple.  Stick with something, give it a month or so, then switch if it still doesn't work.  I have nothing to work with in the patience department, so I learned the hard way.

Do not use Clean and Clear, it is a hopeless excuse for a product all the way around.  Oxy is brutal, at least for my skin.  Everyone is right, while 10% BP works...it is just way to harsh.  My zits would clear-up, but I would be left with inflamed skin and enough peeling and dryness to sink a battle ship.  It's not worth it.  Clearasil is okay, but it really just fits into the usual category of 'pointless' product.  Basically, anything with salicylic acid does nothing, at least not for me.

As far as soaps, use nothing with any fragrances, oils, etc. in it.  I used Dove bar soap for a while.  It did soften my face quite a bit, but it did nothing for the break-outs.  It did not worsen them, nor did it help them, either.  Right now, I am using Olay Foaming Face Wash.  It is inexpensive (around $4.00).  The best part of it, is the simple fact that it has no fragrances, no color additives, it is 100% soap and oil free, and it does what it says by removing dirt and oil without overdying.  Also, another added bonus, it has a natural moisturizer built in, which is oil free.  I have only been using it about a week, but I am quite pleased with the results.  My skin is soft and my acne has diminished 'slightly'

When it comes to topical creams, BP does work very well.  I have had the best results with Neutrogena, yet I had never tried their spotless BP cream.  I purchased it today, as a result of hitting this site, and I am praying to the great one above that it works.  I did try the new product out by Stridex, called 'Fruit Therapy'.  It works so-so.  It will dry out your face, though, cause redness and severe peeling for the first few days of use.  It cleared up the blackheads on my nose, but really did very little for the acne which I have around my chin area.

Listen to shatangi! Do not torture your face. Pop only the most hideous whiteheads if youmust. I love the gentle to the skin aspect of Dan's Regimen. I use Cetaphil Liquid (OK...It's the Wal-Mart brand called Equate) and the 2.5% BP (Neutragena on the spot). I moisturize with the Cetaphil moisturizer as well. I have been dealing with acne since I was 12!!!! Trust me, this is the cheapest and most effective method I have tried since the derm prescribed a veritable arsenal of products when I was 15. Back the, I took and used no fewer than 6 prescription products. Basically, I get the same results with Dan's regimen now. Good luck!

I've tried Cetaphil (original and for oily skin)--both sucked, but then i'm allergic to sodium lauryl sulfate. I've tried the Neutrogena line. Bleah. Anything with SLS in it is baaaad for my skin. My favorite so far is Jason Natural super C Gentle Cleanser. It smells heavenly (like Satsuma from the Body Shop) and is gentle on my face. I use baking soda for a scrub if i need it, rarely do anymore.

The best moisturizer for my skin is Eucerin Renewal. love the AHA. And i use Neutrogena On the Spot BP, it's the best concentration, and i just got the Cleanser/Mask to try for a deep treatment on the cyst blemishes i occasionally get.

i once tried rubbing alcohol on my face, and hydrogen peroxide (Thaaaaank you Paula "idiot" Begoun for writing that shitty book), both of which cause cell damage. oops. #-o Ouch ouch ouch.

The best thing i would advise is avoid sodium lauryl sulfate, and try to use as natural, gentle products on your face as you can. BP can only do so much, your day to day treatment of your skin, and good diet, goes a lot farther.

right now what i do is i wash my face every morning and night with dove UNSCENTED soap just to get my make up off and all that.. and after my make up is off i wash my face with phisohex which my dermatologist wrote a prescription for but you can get it at any drug store without prescription.. and then i have 3 creams i apply.. one being fucidic acid.. vitamin A(only at night), and the other one is called Staticin but its some antibiotic lotion.. and its working great for me but the 3 creams i wrote our only prescribed by a dermatologist or a doctor can also prescribe creams..

i've used pretty much every face wash like neutragena, clean & clear...clearisil...phisoderm (i like this..but then again i used it when i was already on Minocycline so i'm not sure how good it works.. oxy... oxypads... ponds face wash( which really makes your face feel nice but doesnt cut it if you have acne) so as you can see i've used pretty much every acne washes and everything....

if you have acne i would suggest going to the dermatologist because honestly over the counter products are only good for people who get a couple zits and perhaps black heads and white heads..

I've tried everything, regardless of cost.

And now I've come to the conclusion that (for me anyway) the less I put on my face the better. Plus,what I do put on my face should be as natural as possible.

So I'm currently controlling my mild acne by using Neal's Yard facewash which contains many essential oils( suitable for problem skin.) It doesn't dry out my skin.

I only moisturise during the day with a mix of grapeseed and jojoba oil (2-3 drops for my entire face).

At night,I'm using a topical retinoid (prescription only) for only 1 hour a night.I wash it off and leave my face to breathe.

And of course I eat really well and exercise a lot.

Minocycline - didn't work

doxycycline - didn't work

tetracycline - didn't work

cleocin T - didn't work

Spironilactone - didn't work

Retin A/Retin A micro - didn't work

Differen Gel - didn't work

Ortho tri cycline (BC pill) - didn't work

Accutane - worked REALLY well, but only for a year (took it twice, same results both times)

Regimen - works awesomely - face is 99% clear - been on it for almost a year now.

Mercer --

With the exception of two things you mentioned, and only one round of Accutane, I've had pretty much the same experience as you. In between trying all of those things, I tried every over-the-counter product available, and was constantly on the look out for new things.

Would have to completely agree that Dan's regimen is the only thing that has worked for me. I'm well into my sixth week and my skin feels better than it has in about 15 years! Still battling some dryness along the way, but my skin is clearer and healthier than it's ever been.

Well I have really oily skine, and I have been on isolutrol (Ketsugo) for a little while, and I have to admit I like it. My face is a little less oily, and I have a some time left before I should see real results. But I cant believe this stuff!!! Plus its so easy to put on.

Also I like Netrogena SA 2% face wash...

And Dermolgica Scrub does kick ass.