Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So, here we are, three weeks down.

Week two sucked. I had a big old cluster on my chin, and another on my cheek.

The cheek one formed into a couple of small but potent whitehead like pimples, which really rarely happens to me, I mostly get large and red cyst like acne. So I figured I better "take care of those."

ARGH! Learn, boy learn... do not pick... so I hit that wall of depression as I spent Tuesday and Wednesday walking around with a big sore looking thing covered up with tinted BP on it. Didn't help that the chin one (which I did manage to leave alone) basically blew up on its own. But, here is something interesting, I used some neo-sporin (let's not debate it, just note it) on top of the picked area Tuesday and Wednesday nights and this morning it's LOADS better. I mean, I still have two small red spots, but you know what, I can live with that. That's helped my spirits tremendously. It's amazing how much a nasty break out can affect your psyche.

Moral of the story, I've strayed ONCE since starting the regimen from my no picking policy and regretted it a whole lot.

Other reports... I continue to do the regimen full on, same in AM and PM:

Basis Bar (also use this to shave in the AM)

Dan's BP (full amount)

Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair Creme and Lotion with Alpha Hydroxy

Spot treated (a grand total of twice) with Neo-sporin.

Dryness, better... no more pain around the eyes, which was the worst in the early days of week 2. My skin overall feels "better" I can't exactly put my finger on it, but when I rinse my face with a light lather of basis after I shave it's just smoother and maybe softer then it's been in years. Must be the moisturizer and the lack of abrasions often left when one pops something they shouldn't have... I must re-enforce in myself the commitment to not pop pimples, it's just no good...

New Pimples this week? yup... two of consequence (a few tiny little ones that faded quickly). One cyst on forehead above eyebrow, not too bad, but I know it's there and I can feel it forming a point, this will be the one that's hard not to pop, and one where the side of my nose meets the flesh of my face. This one I can't even see, I can just feel it working around in there. Just applying my BP and hoping it doesn't turn into something, and I think that will be the case. Overall though, fairly clear aside from the red marks left by the week two break out on my cheek and the fading but still present cyst on the chin also from week two...

My hope is to feel OK when we go to the variety of July 4th events around town this weekend. That would be a real bonus, as the amount of fun I have when out with my family and friends is (as sad as this may be) often tied directly to the current condition of my skin. If all else fails, I guess I could just get drunk wink.gif

I do think it is fair to say, despite the few things I've been dealing with, that my complexion is better off then it was before I started the regimen. Further, I continue to believe that following through for a few more weeks/months will yield the results that we all seek.

Question for you all that use Dan's BP Gel... to cover your whole face with a fingers worth, how long does it take? I find it takes me nearly 10 minutes to slowly/lightly rub that stuff in if I do it "right" which seems like a LONG time, but as I've said before I believe that the gentle nature of the regimen is one of the keys to its success.

Well, that's it for my week three report I suppose. I'm glad it's today not yesterday that I'm writing this or I may not have had such a positive attitude, as I was certainly down for a few days. Here's hoping when I report out next week it will be even more positive, I'm very much looking forward to it.

As always, your comments, question, criticisms, or whatever’s are encouraged.

Hey hey- Keep up the great work. And remember, use that neosporin creme daliy on those redmarks and active spots! I lOVE that stuff. cool.gif

Brian

Hiya Bri, I couldn't find the creme @ my local walgreens (so was a pretty hesitant to use it) -- do you find that it's much better then the ointment, or is it simly a case of being less prone to break you out in and of itself?

I picked up the neosporin cream at WALMART.

Hiya Bri, I couldn't find the creme @ my local walgreens (so was a pretty hesitant to use it) -- do you find that it's much better then the ointment, or is it simly a case of being less prone to break you out in and of itself?

Hey 30 ,

you are not alone.

I am 32 and it does make me very angry to deal with acne at my age. I went on accutane twice, once at 13 and once at 19. It is great, but my acne returned, only not as bad. Cyst wise, I dont touch those and I get about three a year. I know that that does not seem like much,but the anticipation is tremendously nerve racking. My main problem is excessive swelling of what should be average pimples. often a dime sometimes a quarter size.

I think dans program is on the right track. I am going to try it even though I have not put anything on my face in over 10 years. That was mainly from being sick of seeing dermatologists.

Trust me,

YOU ARE NOT ALONE and we will get through this!

Sincerely

Tony

Thanks to you people in their 30s who are posting on this board, and to all you people who are giving them words of encouragement regardless of your age. I'm 33 and struggling with the same problems. I've been on the regimen about four weeks w/ definite improvement and hitting that wall where I just wish the whole thing would clear up. I had a pimple-popping relapse just like you did, 30, and have regretted it as much if not more. Let's make a vow not to do it anymore and keep each other honest.

In your earlier post you mentioned the Eurecin redness reducer. I've experimented w/ that stuff and found it to work quite well if used sparingly and bearing in mind it's only going to help the redness, not make your acne disappear altogether. To me it's much more useful than Nuetrogena or other "tinted formulas". (Ever buy the tinted formula by mistake and then have to decide whether to use it or not? Not fun, believe me.) I wouldn't use that particular Euricin as your regimen moisturizer, however, as the temptation to put on too much is greater. You want to fully moisturize your face w/out worrying about making yourself look ridiculous.

Good luck w/ everything.

Tony and Regimental,

thanks for the kind words.

The cysts are hell, I can't even describe the level of frustration I feel from those things. I'm a relatively good looking outgoing guy, but it's hard to be either of those things with a quarter sized sore, heck maybe two or three at that, on either side of the face! The not picking thing is huge, though sometimes I find impossible to avoid. I'll write more on this subject in my one month update I'll post in a bit.

Reg, I don't use the redness moisturizer, just the little "spot" stick thingy... It does an OK job, but it has to be applied just so or I look silly. The worst part is that it often takes a little while for everything to dry and I may be at work before I notice that I have an obvious "cover up" going on. It always looks fine in my bathroom mirror, but then I get to the office and oh my! Of course, then I have to lightly dab it off and now I've got my nice red sore instead. Hate to be so graphic about it, but man it's ugly and depressing... Also, I'm not sure that the moisturizer is non-comedogenic, I think I remember not seeing it say that explicitly on the packaging and thinking to myself that I better not get that. You might want to check that out if your using the moisturizer.

thanks again for kind words, it is comforting to know that there are plenty of men our age dealing with these issues, though somehow none of them seem to be anyone I know or even see.