Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LibbyM

Great treatment for Acne Scars

I just wanted to share this with anyone who it might help.

I'd had acne since I was sixteen and scars since I was 18 (so I had them for almost 20 years). I hated them and wanted laser resurfacing but couldn't afford it. A few months ago I found out about a place that did acne scar treatments and this place claimed to "REMOVE" acne scars. Of course it got me excited but I didn't want to get my hopes up too much because I've heard nothing will completely remove them.

I've had the treatments, which the aesthetician charges almost $2000 for, and I am very happy with the results, especially since laser resurfacing would have cost me almost $9000 to have everything I wanted done, by the doctor I wanted. The scars are not completely gone but they're a lot less noticeable. I think this treatment has given me results that are just as good as if I'd had laser resurfacing. I've had lots of compliments about my skin since I had the procedure done.

Anyway I created a website to help people learn about this treatment and thought I would post it here in case anyone here might be interested. Basically my aesthetician used "ultrasonic" therapy in combination with microdermabrasion (there's lots of info on the net about ultrasonic therapy, but I'd never even heard of it till recently!) I posted before and after pics of my treatment on the site. You can do the procedure yourself for a lot less than what I paid! My skin hasn't looked this good in years. I'm also going to have other pics showing how I keep my skin clear for less than 5 cents a day using simple 70% rubbing alcohol and good cotton pads (Sentinel and Perfection brands are the best). Sorry it's not all put together yet, but I'm working on it. At least for now there is lots of information about how I reduced my acne scarring. I should mention that you're only supposed to treat areas that are no longer breaking out. But it's great for acne scars that have been just sitting there for years, like mine were.

the website address is www.betterskinhaireyes.com. Hope it can help some people.

LibbyM

Hmm... we're not really supposed to allow people to advertise their own sites or products on the boards, but seeing as you sound genuine and the site is very informative, I'll let it go for the moment.

I am a little sceptical, though - what percentage of improvement would you estimate you've gotten from this treatment?

In my experience, people tend to get very little improvement in their scarring from microdermabrasion, and I would doubt whether combining it with this ultrasonic technique would give substantially better results.

But thanks for providing the information about it, anyway.

Hi Rossignol,

Thanks for letting me keep the post up.

I would say there has been at least a 60% improvement with this treatment, which is what the Dr. who was going to do my laser resurfacing, said I should expect (at almost $9000!). But this treatment was WAY less! If I knew of something that would give more than a 60% improvement, I'd do that instead, but I just don't know of anything. The main thing, for me, is that I FEEL like it's been a 90% improvement, in that I just don't notice the scars like I used to, and I feel really confident - enough to wear my hair back, which I never did before. I haven't done a treatment in about a month, because I look in the mirror and my skin just doesn't bug me like it used to. There is still some scarring left that I want to treat, but I'm not in a rush like I was before, when it was more noticeable and I was really self-conscious about it. I am planning to do more treaments in the next few weeks, though, because I am curious to see just how much better it can get.

I believe the reason the ultrasonic treatment works well is because it helps to repair the skin and rebuild collagen right after the microdermabrasion (btw this kind of microdermabrasion - with the diamond tip and vaccum tube - is different from the kind in a jar that everyone is selling nowadays). I believe this type of microdermabrasion works well because it's using a vacuum/sucking mechanism that draws the cells closer to the surface of the skin, so it's easier to pull the scar tissue closer to the surface.

I remember thinking, years ago, that it might help to use one of those cellulite-reducing vacuum machines on my face to "smooth out" my scars (I am embarrassed to admit I actually BOUGHT one of those machines and tried it, but it sucked so hard my cheek got stuck in it... I'm lucky I didn't lose an eye). Of course I stopped using the machine but this particular microdermabrasion machine is made for the face. It's using that same idea - if you're sucking upward and sideways, you can sort of make the cells "blend in" with each other. It may sound nuts but really did work for me!

The microdermabrasion sort of "injures" the skin in a very slight way and makes it want to immediately heal itself and produce more collagen and also when it heals, it gets tighter, the same way when you get a scar, the skin gets tighter after it heals. So the pores look smaller.What the ultrasonic machine does is, it makes whatever you put on it, go way deeper into the skin - it's something called "sonophoresis" (I hope I spelled that right). So if you put Retin-A on it, the ultrasonic device just somehow makes it absorb a lot better. I've also used this treatment with plain old triple antibiotic ointment after the microdermabrasion/before the ultrasonic, instead of retin-a, and my face felt really tight the next morning!

I am still experimenting with different ways to make the treatments even better, like by using different types of creams with the ultrasonic machine. I'll post more info on the machine when I have more pics and info available. I would also love to hear from other people who've tried this treatment, or who try it in the future with other kinds of creams that aren't too expensive but produce great results. Like I said, I'm all about doing things in the cheapest way possible. One thing I've noticed about acne is, it teaches you to be experimental and always look for new options. I think this may be one of the blessings of having had to deal with hard thing. Just about everyone I know who's had acne seems to be really creative in some way.

Libby

I think she is trying to advertising her products on this board.

These treatments wouldn't help my scarring and for the photos,no improvement at all,just lighting tricks.

Thats my opinion,any1 else care to comment.

I think she is trying to advertising her products on this board.

These treatments wouldn't  help my scarring and for the photos,no improvement at all,just lighting tricks.

Thats my opinion,any1 else care to comment.

This is a scam, clear and simple. I'm sure I don't have to convice anyone of that.

The microdermabrasion tecnique she describes is old as the hills. I had it done, same type of machine, exact same vacum, diamond brush, at least 12 times. I recieved no scar improvement ( only a temporary improvement in skin tone). And whenever you see the words "ultra" or "sonic" or "soundwave" or similiar pseudo sceintific mumbo jumbo run for the hills.

I feel we would be justified to report this scammer to whatever consumer agency ( if any exists) might be able to shut her down. If that is not possible I feel it is morally correct if somehow her website was sabotaged by a hacker ( though I am not endorsing anyone here doing it).

James

Whoah, vicious!

But you know what, I'm not even pissed. Remove my post if you want, but I thought it was important that I put the information up here for people who can actually use it. I'd never heard of this treatment before, but I bet you will hear of it within a year as more and more people are starting to do it in salons. I would like to hear from ONE person who has had a combination of all 3: Microdermabrasion combined with Ultrasonic treatment plus Retin A. If that person can tell me they did all 3 things and they aren't a lot happier with their skin, then you'll have proven me wrong. But I've seen the results for myself. I didn't make up any of that stuff on the site, but I guess I can see how you would think it's a possibility. I'd probably think that too if I wasn't the one who wrote it! Ultrasonic treatment sounds crazy but try looking it up on the net and you will find a lot of legit info and research about it.

And no, I didn't use lighting tricks. The pics were all taken in the same room, while I was lying down on the same table under the same light. I had to take those pictures with my own camera while the aesthetician was out of the room because she didn't want me to take them. I had no idea at the time that I was going to start selling the machines, I just wanted to see the gradual progress. Look at the edges of the scars. You can tell they got smoother and flatter. If I wanted to touch it up I'd have removed more of the scars to make it look perfect. Yeah, the third picture is lighter. That's because my skin got a little lighter since I was wearing sunscreen. It's not a trick.

When I talked to a gal who had expensive laser resurfacing, years ago, she told me the scars weren't all gone, but she looked so much better and felt more confident. I didn't understand how anyone could feel that much better if the scars weren't completely gone. And now I get it. It's like when someone who's 400 lbs loses 200 lbs. It's just such a relief it puts a smile on your face and THAT is what makes you feel attractive even more than your looks. Laser resurfacing is very expensive but if it only makes a 50-60 percent improvement in most people, then I think this is a way better option people should know about. Half the reason I'm so happy is I got the same results as I would have if I paid almost 9K for laser resurfacing (when you add up the cost of anesthesia, medications and time off work). Some people have had laser resurfacing done for less but I wanted to see a particular doctor who was described as "the best" and I'd talked to 2 of his patients who raved about the results - even though they admitted they still didn't have "perfect" skin, they were so happy!

Like I said, I don't blame you guys for being skeptical, especially since I'm pretty skeptical myself. When I read my post on ebay I think to myself, good lord, this sounds so hokey, I mean I just go on and on about it, but that's because I am very happy with my skin now and want other people to know about it. I could keep it to myself but if it really works, why WOULDN'T I want to tell other people about it?

There's lots of people selling the microdermabrasion machines on the net so for whoever may be interested, you can buy them and try them out whenever you want, and you sure don't have to buy 'em from me. I've seen some people selling them for a little less than I sell mine for. I got them from a distributor who sells them for a pretty high markup price. For all this is worth, I'd make way more money working for a temp agency than I do selling these machines, and unfortunately I think I'm going to have to stop selling them soon because it 'ain't enough to pay the bills! But I will keep my website with the information up -at least until the hackers come in and try to take it down.

For anyone who wants to try the treatment in the future, you can always buy the machines, try it, and then re-sell it close to what you paid for it, when you are done with the treatments (if you had the treatments done in a salon you couldn't do this!). Like I said- you sure don't have to buy it from me - there are other people selling the machines on ebay for a little less than I'm selling them for. Some people sell the machines as low as $299, which is insanely cheap when you consider how much aestheticians charge for microdermabrasion.

OK I've stated my case and that's all I can do. If you don't try this, I do hope you guys are able to find something that works for you in the future.

Libby

Whoah, vicious!

For anyone who wants to try the treatment in the future, you can always buy the machines, try it, and then re-sell it close to what you paid for it, when you are done with the treatments (if you had the treatments done in a salon you couldn't do this!). Like I said- you sure don't have to buy it from me - there are other people selling the machines on ebay for a little less than I'm selling them for. Some people sell the machines as low as $299, which is insanely cheap when you consider how much aestheticians charge for microdermabrasion. 

Libby

I'm closing this thread - doesn't seem to be going anywhere except further arguments.

I'll leave you to make your own mind up about Libby and the treatments she's advocating.