Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scotty

Preventing Scarring

Can anyone recommend ways to prevent acne from becoming pitted scarring?

I'm really getting frustrated.

I rarely break out these days but it seems that whenever I do, I get a wonderful new scar. I had a pimple(zit/cyst) on my chin and I tried my best to leave it alone - yet it stll scarred.

Can anyone recommend products to use on the occassional zit so that it doesnt eventually turn into a pitted scar?

I think that the best advice that anyone can give you is to leave it completely alone. I used to squeeze when I was about 13 and I am still left with scars from back then. Since I stopped squeezing though, I have not had a single new scar! Once a zit is there, there's no going back, you just have to wait for it to heal. You can speed up this process with BP, vinegar, taping (it seems), drinking lemon water and the like, but thats pretty much all you can do.

I know it sounds like you wouldn't want this greasy stuff on a zit, however, neosporin REALLY works to prevent scarring. Just leave it on when your at home and thruout the night and I can almost guarantee it won't scar. I have even popped many zits and cysts but afterwards when I apply this and really leave it on and keep it moist it doesn't scar. The antibiotics in it kill the germs and just keeping the area moist helps the tissue repair faster and will also help prevent the red pigmentation.

OK - neosporin it is.

Thanks allison.

From now on I will use neosporin and otherwise live the zit alone and hope for the best.

Can anyone recommend ways to prevent acne from becoming pitted scarring?

Can anyone recommend products to use on the occassional zit so that it doesnt eventually turn into a pitted scar?

Unfortunately the only way to truly prevent scarring is to prevent the cause of it - the acne. Do what you can to prevent/reduce your acne and you won't have to be concerned about the scars. In the meantime try not to touch your face and use ice to bring the swelling of cysts down.