Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kyandjae

Not a candidate for accutane......

Well, I'm on a military base and you have to get a referral from your doctor to get an appointment with dermatology... but she didn't think it was necessary for me to get a referral... I would have liked to have a derms opinion.. but oh well, shit happens.... so I went to my doctor and she told me that I'm not a candidate for accutane... WHY?? have I not tried enough meds?? is it not severe enough??

To people that have been to a derm a lot.. could you answer these questions for me??... I've seen some really fast a great results from accutane and I would love to get on it... though I am skeptical about the side effects..I just want to know why I am not a candidate as she says.....

Now I am on Doxycycline (sp?) and Retin-A... it has worked for me in the past but my breakouts are more severe...

If anyone knows, please tell me....

Guest Marino

It also depends on the "laws of the land".

In some states, countries you have to go on a trial and eror stage before comencing Tane [6 months]

Other states can only prescribe Tane after scaring or emotional stress is evident

Some derms are flexible though, is there any way you can see another GP or Derm or is that impossible on the base? Maybe when your on holidays or off base you could go?

Yeah, going off base would be impossible!!!! I don't know Japanese... and it would be pontless cause we do have a drem on base... I can't go to another doctor b/c I have a specific one that I have assigned to me... if that makes sense... well, I guess I'll try what I'm using for a while and if it does nothing, I'll see if I could get on accutane... god I hate Japan....

I just went to my family doctor to get a check up with the whole family. She told me I had pimples now. Well yeah. I ask her if she had any medicine for my face. She said that all I have is Accutane and it is very expensive. I said in my head ACCUTANE, I REMEMBER THAT FROM THAT FORUM. And I said outloud ok, ill give it a try acting all innocent..5 minutes later she wrote me a slip accutane 10mg 30 day dosage $70 bucks. I bought that slip downstairs to the pharmancy and got it for $70. LOL....she didnt even take a blood test...lol...well she did but only for my checkout for that hepitietis menachitis (SPELLING!!!) stuff.

Thats how easy to get Accutane in CND, or where I live. LOL.

I know 10mg is low, next time I go see her I am going to ask for a higher dosage like 20mg.

They didn't give you a blood test? Thats a bit... not good. If doxycycline isn't working I have heard that another antibiotic called minocycline can sometimes give better results. I am on the same stuff as you, the doxy and the retinA. It was working very slow until i started taking this vitiman tablet with milk thistle in it that helps your liver clean your blood better. It has improved lots in under a week. Maybe you could give that a shot if they wont let you have roaccutane.

Humanbiology your doctor does not seem to know what she is doing if she did not give you a blood test and said the only thing she had was accutane and started you so low (unless you are on accutane for rosacea, or on a long term treatment)...

Well, I'm on a military base and you have to get a referral from your doctor to get an appointment with dermatology... but she didn't think it was necessary for me to get a referral... I would have liked to have a derms opinion.. but oh well, shit happens.... so I went to my doctor and she told me that I'm not a candidate for accutane... WHY?? have I not tried enough meds?? is it not severe enough??

To people that have been to a derm a lot.. could you answer these questions for me??... I've seen some really fast a great results from accutane and I would love to get on it...  though I am skeptical about the side effects..I just want to know why I am not a candidate as she says.....

Now I am on Doxycycline (sp?) and Retin-A... it has worked for me in the past but my breakouts are more severe...

If anyone knows, please tell me....

it was pretty easy to get accutane (well roccutane for me, I live in the uk) once I got referral to a derm from my doctor. but I had tried, so many meds, creams, tablets, gels, etc for years prior to that, so I guess it wasnt so easy, but once you see a derm, its easy, she mentioned tane on my first visit, after a quick q&a session. I had tests that next week.

only thing I didnt have was a pregnancy test, but I told her, it was ok, I 100% was not pregnant so I got it.

mine was classed as moderate, how bad is yours & how long have you being on meds?.

Right now I am at my worst... EVER!!!! I've only been on the meds for a week and it's getting worse... I guess it's just an initial breakout though... but it has worked for me in the past and I will be very upset if it doesn't work for me this time... I only have it on my cheeks and jawline.... it's so god damn frustrating.... I guess I'm impatient.... How long should I be on these meds before I should try something else????? when I look at my face I think it's pretty severe but my husband doesn't think it's that bad... though I think he's just telling me that to make me feel better.... I dunno sad.gif

After going through every topical and antibiotic etc, we asked my daughter's derm for accutane. He took one look at her and said, "Accutane won't work for you."

So we went to another derm and got it.

She took it for 6 months, and after 2 months her pimples came back, so maybe that 1st derm knew what he was talking about.

On the other hand, at least her back still looks better (a little bumpy, though).

We got Proactiv (didn't work, got a really bad reaction to all that BP), and tried some antibacterial cleansers. The result was less active pimples, but major bumps (clogged pores).

I think that's what the first derm meant: her type of acne was clogged pores (bumps). No cysts. Few blackheads. Moderate number of active pimples.

Now she's using differin and an AHA cleanser which is working really well. Much less bumpy and a lot less oily. Next week she gets a facial, too, which might finish off the bumps.

One tip to everyone using topicals: if you are having redness and irritation, back off a little, let your skin recover (maybe even throw on some nesporin cream to speed up the healing), then resume. That's what she did with the differin and it seems to be working. Probably the same would be true with retin a or whatever. If you're using a retinoid in the morning and BP at night, use your judgement before doing both. If your skin looks irritated, skip a night (or day).

Well, she didnt say that was the only thing she can give me but thats what she first mention to me, so Id ant passing that chance. Anyways she took the blood test for antiiboides a and b or something like that for hepitities b or something... i just got my shot today and found out i got no antioboies lol...shit...i could of got hepistitaies b and menitgieteos.

10mg is just working fine for me.. I see a different already in a week.

Minocycline is shit, it dident work and turned some of the scars on my back a purpley colour, like a fuckin bruse. Tetra seemed to work tho. Im on tane atm its nasty shit but it seems to be doing the job .... eusa_clap.gif side effects arnt pretty though

I've a 4-year long history of depression, which is why I didn't want to go with Accutane.

In the first place, I've never had any cysts. Mostly blackheads, oily skin and lots of scars from the really bad days.

What's strange is that she made go on Doxycycline again even though you've been on it before and it didn't fix things for you.

KONNICHIWA (hello),

I was in Okinawa Japan for three years and could not get military doctors or even the derms to give me Accutane, they tried me on everything else in the world with no luck. The only good thing about the military is I did not have to pay for any of the crap they put me on that did not work…LOL…

Now that I live the civilian life I have to pay for everything but it is worth it because Accutane is the best! Do you get to go back home at all? If you do try to get an appointment then. I know that I tried that but my derm I saw in the states would not give it to me because I was going back to Japan and would not be monitored by him, so he would not dare give it to me. Just take what they give you and after you have been on it for a while that will just be proof to add to the point that you need Accutane and who knows maybe what they give you will work with out having to go on tane.

I wish you best of luck, and make the best out of being in Japan, I hated it there at first but learned to love it and I can honestly say now that I am back in the states I miss it there!

They do have accutane here.... I think the doctor thought I wasn't severe enough.. I think I am though... I am only here for another year and I have to give what I am on now some time before I try something else... so I think if the Doxy and Retin-A doesn't work this time around, I'll have to wait until we PCS (go to another base) to try something else... I'm SO impatient though... I want it to go away now....

I will NEVER miss this place... the only thing is that Japanese customer service is outstanding!!!! they are ALL so polite... and McDonald's is 100% better here than in the states... and I have three daughters so it's kind of difficult to get out with three little ones that are 3 and under....

my family and I just took a trip back there a few months ago... and my skin wasn't nearly as bad as it is now... damn Proactiv!!!! I think once we get back to the states, or out of this place for that matter, and if my face hasn't cleared up by then, I will do everything in my power to get accutane... though I'm not sure all the side effects and the possibility of it all coming back in a few short months is worth it....

I just saw an amazing before and after photo of someone that went on accutane... I don't know if I could handle it getting A LOT worse before it got better... like I said, I'm impatient.... I'd really have to think about accutane before I would consider going on it... I don't know... just frustrated with it....

Thanks for the suggestions....

Katie