Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just bought this soap yesterday to try, and was wondering if anyone has ever used it. It is a bar of soap, pale yellow in color, and it lathers. It is very rare that I will now buy anything that does not list its ingredients, but this is one of them.

It contains 10% precipitated sulfur U S P.

This is what is says on the box:

Sulfur Soap provides antiseptic, keratolytic and antiseborrheic action to aid in the treatment of acne. Removes excess oil and loosens plugs in pore openings.

It is funny, because the directions say to work up a rich lather with hot water, wash and rinse thoroughly. Then, to make a second application of lather, massage a few moments, and remove excess with a towel or tissue without rinsing. eusa_think.gif Hmmm, slightly different from the usual.

I used it last night, only one lather, and today again, lathering twice.

We'll see how it goes! I am also using a bit of polysporin cream.

Li B.

Guest delta force operators

id like to order this can u give me ur contact info

Delta,

Actually, I didn't order it, but instead found it in a pharmacy (Uniprix). It cost $6,99 before taxes.

I noticed Stiefel is a company located in Montreal. It is so rare for me to use a product made from home!

Please let me know if I can help in any other way.

Li B.

P.S. Before posting this, I just verified for you and found this website: http://www.stiefel.ca/

Hope it can be helpful. eusa_angel.gif

I am looking at the site now, and another bar of soap shown was also at the pharmacy I went to. I didn't realize and am surprised to see they are the makers of Panoxyl! neutral.gif

What pleases me though is that a company revolving around dermatology would create a soap made of sulfur. eusa_angel.gif It is nice to see they can lean into the natural and not only the chemical. For me personally, I have not used typical acne medications(BP, SA, etc.) in a long time, and do not believe I want to use them again in the future.

Seems like an interesting site, though - I will take the time to look through it thoroughly.

The soap I am using presently is the yellow one. Here is a link to the page - simply scroll down to view it: http://www.stiefel.ca/en/our_products/index.html

This sounds interesting. I think sulfur is a treatment that has been around forever. My daughter used to use plexion, which has sulfur in it, and it probably worked the best of anything she tried. The funny thing is we thought it was a topical, but it was actually a mask, so she'd leave it on all night (including on her back). The problem was it was a pain to wash off, and bleached everything. One thing it did was it really lightened her skin, and thus no red marks or red face. I'm not sure what caused that, if it was the sulfur. Anyway, let us know how the soap works.

I will definitely keep you all updated.

kamstan - thank you for your suggestion and for sharing your feedback.

My skin is definitely on the oily side, though it can also be flaking at times in areas, but I think this is also more prominant with the use of certain products.

So far, this soap is not drying for me. It is funny, because when you touch it, it feels very soft, and when it is wet, it has a slightly rough texture.

When you lather it and massage it in the skin, it feels soft.

I have heard that sulfur is truly effective but is also gradual, meaning it may take some time to see full effects, but this doesn't mean it will not improve in the meantime. It may be better to have something work this way, because at times, something that works very rapidly may also lose its effectiveness just as rapidly.

As long as you see continuous improvement, I feel it is a good sign.

I will definitely keep you all updated. 

kamstan - thank you for your suggestion and for sharing your feedback. 

My skin is definitely on the oily side, though it can also be flaking at times in areas, but I think this is also more prominant with the use of certain products. 

So far, this soap is not drying for me.  It is funny, because when you touch it, it feels very soft, and when it is wet, it has a slightly rough texture. 

When you lather it and massage it in the skin, it feels soft.

I have heard that sulfur is truly effective but is also gradual, meaning it may take some time to see full effects, but this doesn't mean it will not improve in the meantime.  It may be better to have something work this way, because at times, something that works very rapidly may also lose its effectiveness just as rapidly.

As long as you see continuous improvement, I feel it is a good sign.

Hmmm... eusa_think.gif

It's unfortunate that it was too drying for you, especially if it was effective, but I know how uncomfortable dryness can feel. I can certainly understand the Panoxyl being drying. I believe I had already used one of those products in the past, and was not very fond of it. I don't like feeling like my skin is too oily or too dry, and that I have to compensate with yet another product. It doesn't feel healthy, or natural to me. The OTC product I had used in the past that was decent compared to many others I had tried, though, was Persa-gel.

Could you describe the type of skin you have, kamstan?

I do not want to jump the gun, because I am quite sure my hormones play a role in my acne as well, and because my skin is unpredictable (up and down), and it takes time to judge a product, but my skin seems better. I notice an improvement in that my skin appears smoother and clearer somehow, especially my forehead but overall, actually. There was even a slight shine (not due to oil) that people with healthy skin have.

So far, it really isn't drying for me. I am not even using moisturizer, as I usually do. I have a tendency to flake at times when using certain products, and I don't find it to be a problem with this one so far. My nose was a teeny bit peely this morning but it was so minimal and easily managed with a licked finger and some rubbing - lol - that it was not bothersome at all, as it often can be.

At the moment, I am using some Neosporin on pimples and marks, and if after a while I find it has helped, I will most likely stop and begin reusing a little bit of my Dove day moisturizer because it contains SPF which is important but that is difficult for me to find in another non-irritating product. Then I may simply use Neosporin on any new pimples if necessary.

But I think I am way ahead of myself here! lol

I appreciate you sharing your experience with the product. It may help people make a decision as to whether to try it or not.

my skin is super oily, yet dry at the same time. Thge only things to ever clear my skin was the neutrogena acne kit (currently useing again)but the day lotion makes my skin even more oily, the other thing to clear my skin was the alpha hydrox method, but again my skin would get really oily during the day, and I cant stand that. I just went out and bought olay complete all day moisture lotion for combo skin (never used it, but someone recammended it to someone else and it had good reviews, although my skin has never done well with olay, im hopeing it will this time).

I am glad you found Neutrogena acne products to be helpful. In my case, I wasn't so lucky with them.

I hope Olay will be good or you. I had bought one for sensitive skin a while ago, but was afraid to use it on my face after having applied it to my hand. The texture seemed slightly greasy to me, and I felt a slight stinging, which may have been the SPF, but I was just worried about a bad reaction on my face.

When I was younger, I was much more willing to try lots of new products for my acne, but things are a little different now.

I really hope you find something truly effective and comfortable kamstan.

I know sometimes certain products may only encourage further oil production-

perhaps that is what happened to you.

Yesterday I was actually surprised that my skin did not become as oily as it nomally can, and I didn't even have my powder with me. But... eusa_wall.gif

I am so frustrated with myself. Yesterday morning, after a little bit of hesitation, I popped two/three small whiteheads that were not so visible, then told myself I would not touch my face anymore, but in the evening, I was being bitten by a mosquito several times and so I felt all itchy, and there was even itchiness near my scalp (above forehead), which I was rubbing for relief. Ultimately, I must have touched my face, and therefore became preoccupied with it. I went to the bathroom and began unclogging my pores. eusa_doh.gif

Once I start, it is difficult to stop, and so now my face is a little blotchy with slight bumps, and I used the soap again last night as a result, making it two full uses of the soap just in the evening. Why do I do this? My face was doing well. It's still not bad, but I shouldn't have touched it. There are times I really do leave it alone, and other periods where I constantly pick at it.

I have an appointment in about two weeks for a facial, so I should discipline myself to only let an esthetician unclog my pores. It has been a long time since I've gone for one. I hope my skin will be alright after - I am so worried nowadays about what products are used on my face.

Kamstan - may I ask, do you drink much water during the day, and if so, how much approx.?

Also, was the soap you had tried identical to the one I am using now? Do you remember if you were using any other products at the same time? It could truly be that your skin did not react well to it, but I was wondering if by chance it could be something else.

no I dont drink any water, I hate it, and I live in AZ. I know thats probly 99% of my problem, my skin and oil probs would probably drastically improve if I just drank some, but I cant bring myself to do it. The only time I want it is when I work out. Otherwise all I drink is soda, and maybe an ocasional juice. Im surprised I havent killed over yet from dehydration, I seriously go days without water or juice and nothing but soda.

Thanks for being honest.

I know it's tough. I even have a hard time myself with water.

First off, I'm not always a big drinker, but when I drink, it's often juice, sometimes soda, and at times, water. There are periods when I definitely consume more and even long for it, but in general, I am nowhere close to enough.

I am trying to increase my water intake because I know it's important. I would like to drink 2L/day, because I have often heard that this is the ideal. I think the easiest way for me would be to drink 4 500ml bottles, instead of 2 1L ones because it seems overwhelming to me when the bottle is big as I'm not used to it yet.

I think you are right that it would probably most definitely improve your skin and reduce the oil production very much. I think both our skins are dehydrated.

I think the trick would be to make an effort to decrease the other things you drink, especially the soda.

Say, for example, you begin by giving yourself 4 days a week where you can drink what you would like, and 3 days, only water. Whenever you're thirsty on one of those three days, you can only turn to water. Then gradually, up it by another day and so on, while still maybe allowing yourself one or two days of the stuff you like, so you do not feel deprived and ultimately fail as far as the water is concerned. Doing it gradually will probably be more successful than jumping into it too quickly.

I am sure you will still see results by doing this.

Personally, I know soda tastes good, but it would really be good to cut, if you can. And in regards to juice, maybe you can try to make your own naturally by buying a juicer. It would be much healthier, probably be just as tasty and would allow you to be creative by including exactly what you want and therefore also allowing you to know exactly what is in your juice. Lots of the juices we drink are artificial and full of sugar, unfortunately.

Also, by reducing the intake of juice and soda and drinking more water, your taste buds will regenerate and become accustomed to water and appreciate its pure taste, and you may find it easier to drink. Right now they are just so used to all the flavouring that water seems dull, when in fact it really isn't. Also, the caffeine in soda is only encouraging you to keep drinking it when it is not healthy for you. I am not saying you should never be able to drink some, but I think you would strongly benefit from reducing it significantly.

How about trying this for one month, and seeing if it makes any difference?

Ex.:

Week 1: 4 days - your choice, 3 days - water only

Week 2: 3 days - your choice, 4 days - water only

Week 3: 2 days - your choice, 5 days - water only

Week 4: Same as week 3

I think I may do this myself.

yea, I think I will start drinking water, right now my eyes burn so bad cause im dehydrated. Plus my diet pills have caffeen (spelled wrong I know)in them too. But those work soo good that Im not stopping them.

Sorry to hear about your eyes burning.

What do you say we try this as of Monday and see how it goes? I know for me, it will help knowing I have support in a partner in a way, and we can check in with each other. Even if we do not reach the goal as we would have hoped at first, the important is that we continue to improve.

You know, drinking water will also really help you in your quest to lose weight, as I know you mentioned you are on diet pills. It might even be a safer way.

Also, if you have a calendar, what can be fun and motivating is using a technique that reminds us of our earlier successes. It may sound kind of silly but...gold stars!

For every day that you followed the goal, you stick a gold star (or another color, maybe blue to associate with water), and that way, you can also keep track of your progress. If you miss a few days, don't give up. Just keep going until all the days are covered with stars. I read it takes a certain number of days to break a habit. I will try to find the passage in the book and post it later.

The stickers can be bought at the dollar store.

In regards to the soap, I think I will update after having used it for 30 days.

My skin is still affected by the picking I did the other evening, and this is so disappointing, as it was looking good before I did that. My skin is sensitive. sad.gif But hopefully it will go okay. So far, I don't think it's doing any harm.

One thing I did notice that's kind of funny...I found my face was brighter and smoother when I began using it, as I mentioned. The past couple of days, I have noticed a slight shimmer on my hands. eusa_think.gif Could this possibly be the sulfur? Don't get me wrong - it doesn't bother me as it's not super sparkly- just really tiny, very subtle, shimmers, if that makes sense. Maybe this plays a part in why the skin appears brighter.

no I dont drink any water, I hate it, and I live in AZ. I know thats probly 99% of my problem, my skin and oil probs would probably drastically improve if I just drank some, but I cant bring myself to do it. The only time I want it is when I work out. Otherwise all I drink is soda, and maybe an ocasional juice. Im surprised I havent killed over yet from dehydration, I seriously go days without water or juice and nothing but soda.