Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Photogenic

Shyness Quiet-Natured and acne

Alright I've been shy even before I had acne, not to the extreme, but ever since I started developing acne (age 18) I've become super shy where I don't speak to anyone new, and I mean it's very noticeable - case in point - the First thing "new" people say when they meet me is " Why are you so quiet" always, it never fails, and I know it's true I don't say much, but I was wondering If there was anyone else who gets this reaction to their silent ways.

I'm 23 now, and I still get the same reaction from people, and it's funny cause I never say to them, " why do you talk so much" Or "why are you so loud", but still they find it necessary to point it out to me " you're so quiet" .

Now that I think of it I have known someone who was as quiet as me, back in high school- they used to call him Mute Or Mudo in spanish - I wonder what happened to him.

Hoping someone can relate to this, how do you handle it.

I've gotten so used it, that I laugh (secretly) when they tell me, though I sometimes wonder if it will ever cause me to go Mad.

Alright I've been shy even before I had acne, not to the extreme, but ever since I started developing acne (age 18) I've become super shy where I don't speak to anyone new, and I mean it's very noticeable - case in point - the First thing "new" people say when they meet me is " Why are you so quiet" always, it never fails, and I know it's true I don't say much, but I was wondering If there was anyone else who gets this reaction to their silent ways.

I'm 23 now, and I still get the same reaction from people, and it's funny cause I never say to them, " why do you talk so much" Or "why are you so loud", but still they find it necessary to point it out to me " you're so quiet" .

Now that I think of it I have known someone who was as quiet as me, back in high school- they used to call him Mute Or Mudo in spanish - I wonder what happened to him.

I've gotten so used it, that I laugh (secretly) when they tell me, though I sometimes wonder if it will ever cause me to go Mad.

I wish I had that problem.  I never shut up.  I talk and talk and talk!!  IF you ever come across one of my posts they are always super long and I start on things that are not even on the subject.  It is a curse sometimes.  My feelings are if I can get people to know me; then maybe they will like my personality and not care about my face.  What is funny is that most of my close friends are quiet, but my one good friend is a talker like me and you should hear us.  We just talk over eachother and never hear what the other person is saying.  It is almost funny at times.  We don't always do it, but if we are excited it happens.  People tell me I could probably make friends with a wall.  I like meeting new people and making friends.  It helps because I always have someone to talk too.  On vacations I always make friends with the locals of where ever we go and as a result I have had numerous job offers and get a discount at certain places.  And I am probably one of those people that have said that you are quiet.  I will stop saying that becasue I don't want to make anyone go mad.  Though I bet my motor mouth does a good job driving people mad. biggrin.gif

Guest Amy Lee

Hey I'm a very shy and quiet person too! I know how you feel.

I'm overly super dooper shy and quiet when I'm with people I don't know very much or close with, but I'm making an effort to change.

Lately I'm trying to be more vocal though, it helps attract new friends because happy people are fun to be with, not saying sad persons are not, but I think everyone needs to be happier more often. Put a smile on your face and you'll be amazed of what it can do, not only to you, but also to the people surrounding you. smile.gif Yeah everyone has issues behind them and problems to be concerned with, but a cheerful heart makes everything a little lighter, makes the heavy load easier to carry.

I have severe acne and if I keep my mouth shut all the time, it would only result to people not wanting to be near me. It's like the combination of my acne plus silence results to scaring off people. lol.gif

Cheers! I hope you well in life.

Guest Amy Lee

I actually weighed the consequences whether it will be far better if I'm more vocal rather than not, and I think it is actually.

You have to see me way way back then when I was still a kid haha. I was the one alone in the corner by himself.

But I'm totally different in front of people who really know me, to those people I'm comfortable with, I can be as loud as I can and don't care! biggrin.gif

yeah wen my acne was really bad i started gettin really quiet all the time. My friends are alll really loud so it was easy to just sit and listen to them. But i always used to have so much to talk about, and i used to have such laughs with everyone-wen i was all quiet i seemed to miss out on alot of fun. I always make sure that i smile lots and chat lots now regardless of the way my skin is looking-it cheers me up wen im feelin down to talk it off.

Things are way easier now coz im pretty much cleard up-but i'll never forget the way acne made me feel and act. If your naturally shy then i doubt acne has such a strong effect tho. I have some really close friends who are really shy and i love them lots but if acne is the only thing making u shy then u should jst try so hard to get out ther and act like u did BEFORE acne fucked up ya life. You'l feel better 4 it.

Ya, acne has made me pretty shy. I was shy before but I was on the upswing until acne hit. For the first year or so I didn't really care because I wasn't that old. Now I tend to avoid looking people in the eye. I try not to, but I always find myself hanging my head. I'm sure I would seem cooler if I just acted like I had confidence. confused.gif

I expierenced shyness for a while in my life. I still am to an extent. I blame it on acne for the most part. When I am clear I am actually quite outgoing, once I break out though I shell right up. My problem is that I'm afraid people won't like me because of my looks and acne, so I don't bother to talk to them.

I find shyness really isn't too hard to get over on its own, however when it is paired up with acne it becomes quite a burden. When getting over my shyness I found the best way to go about doing it was to set goals for myself, and not allow myself to feel the way I did. I'd go out of my way and make sure I talked to at least 10 people or so I didn't know every day. Your brain will get used to it after a while, and it will become easier. Shy people often lack the confidence to go out and approach strangers and talk to people. I reccomend the book "complete confidence" by Sheenah Hankin. It's a good read, and will teach you many ways to deal with shyness and and anxiety type disorders if you have them as well.

You guys are all Great!

10 New people a day Really? I wish I could do that, I know that would help.

I'll look for that book.

It's really not that tough for me, I work in retail. I guess you could say it's part of my job. I always avoided doing it before, I bet the customers thought I was a real ass for it though. After a while of doing it you'll notice that people aren't as bad and as judgemental that your brain tells you they are.

i am very shy, but like many here, I woke up one day and decided I would really try to get my life sorted (thats still in progress I might add).

Often shy peple don't realise how it affects other people. Other people should percieve you to be unsociable, unfriendly, and HARD to APPROACH.

So being shy and stuff can be socially crippling.

Seriously, I opened my mouth this year and I actually made a friend or two! (not a lot though).

Its hard I know but really once you become friends with someone you don't really notice their acne, does that make sense?

byz

i think most shy people understand what/how People must think of them. Though I also think most shy people would expect other people to know the reasons why they are so shy and unsociable (if it is due to Acne).

Retail business is something I strayed away from, I guess you are lucky in that sense.

I work behind a computer and only talk to people over the phone.

I can be as confident as I want over the phone (business call) but personal call- it's a whole different Story.

I think my shyness is part of my personality, acne just adds to it, because I too when not to blemishy, feel I can just talk to just about anyone (though I don't think I actually ever do).

yes thats a fair point.

I really want to know whether people know that i am shy/depressed because of my face? i really have no idea what others think?

I think most "grown" people do know.

My boss knows for example (I guess it's because they either went through it, or have kids that are going through it.).

As for younger people, I think some of them know, mostly the ones that have gone through it.

Guys,

I used to be outgoing, funny & adventurous person. Ever since I got broken out since Mar this year,( I never really had much issues with acne only recently when I am in my late twenties) I was depressed & my self esteem plummelled to sub-zero!

As a result, I hv suddenly become this extremely quiet person that nobody can hardly recognise nowadays! You are right, acne can affect a person pyschologically & will definitely affect you for life!

I am trying to come out from my 'cave' now as my acne is currently under control except for tons of post acne pigmentation marks on my face!! sad.gif

I guess it is better to keep quiet so nobody will realise that you are ard & hence this will avoid ppl from coming up to you & talking to you & taking a good look at yr skin. I know... pathetic isnt it *sigh*