Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
x~.:*LUSH*:.~x

How long accutane takes to work...

Ok, i am going on vacation to LA in 8 weeks, and i am currently on 40mg of accutane. I started on 20mg for 8 weeks now im on 40mg for 10 more. My acne has got a little better since starting the treatment, as the background redness has faded and new pimples are much smaller than previous ones. I really really dont wanna be walking round LA with acne but i no my makeup will be destroyed if i wear make-up. My acne is only mild/moderate so is there any chance of it going before i go on holiday or is a longer course required?

Also, my derm has only prescribed me 40mg and i wanted a larger dose mad.gif but because i am only 15, she wanted me to have a small dosage. Will it harm me if i up my own dose to 60 (take 3 of the 20mg tablets a day instead of 2) cause acne is pissing me off and i want to be free of it before my holiday

Thanks xxx

I'm in the same position as you. I'm hopefully getting on Accutane tomorrow! eusa_pray.gif [[ cross your fingers for me wink.gif ]] I want to do a lot this summer, for myself but I know it will be hard if I'm on Accutane.

Maybe you could test out taking 60 mg a day but the reason why she may not want to up the dosage might have to do with your weight too....

If your acne is mild... I would say there is a chance that you would get clear in 2 months//8 weeks.

My acne is mild but very persistent so I'm hoping to clear at least by the time I go back to school.

Anyways, good luck with everything and just be patient. [[ i know i'll have to remind myself that a lot eusa_angel.gif ]]

Will it harm me if i up my own dose to 60 (take 3 of the 20mg tablets a day instead of 2) cause acne is pissing me off and i want to be free of it before my holiday

Thanks xxx

I have never heard the zinc thing before. Hm.

I do know that taking your pills with a meal/snack high in fat will put a lot more of the drug into your system. It would be logical to assume this would also make the drug work faster.

Taken from Wikipedia:

"Isotretinoin, when administered orally, is best absorped when taken after a high fat meal, as it has a high level of lipophilicity. In a crossover study, it was found that the peak plasma concentration more than doubled when taken after a high fat meal versus a fasted condition."

I have never heard the zinc thing before. Hm.

I do know that taking your pills with a meal/snack high in fat will put a lot more of the drug into your system. It would be logical to assume this would also make the drug work faster.

Taken from Wikipedia:

"Isotretinoin, when administered orally, is best absorped when taken after a high fat meal, as it has a high level of lipophilicity. In a crossover study, it was found that the peak plasma concentration more than doubled when taken after a high fat meal versus a fasted condition."