Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pool water has chlorine and many other chemicals. Would these clog pores and make acne worse? I've noticed that my acne is redder after going to the pool. I already washed my face but it's still like that.

I am a swimmer: I actually find that the chlorine helps dry out my face. I always moisturize after, though to avoid irritation. That could be the problem.

Also, are you sure it's not that you've been excercising alot, and therefor you face is a little flushed?

Hey, I have a salt water pool and I find it does nothing but good for my acne. When I come out it actually looks 10 times better than when I went in. The only down side is because Im on the regimen my skin is really dry and when I come out it get all flaky, but it still looks quite good. I think its the salt that does it, I try to spend on hour in the pool each day.

i love the pool! Lol..one time i went in with this HUGE dried out pimple on my nose..no matter how i dried to just PEEL it off it would like..just BLEED and it wuldnt completely come off..just a tiny bit of it. So i went in the pool (not intentionally to get rid of my pimples tho) and like 2 hrs later i got out and my little bros all like..HEY what happend to ur BIG ZIT ON UR NOSE? I felt it and it was smooth. So i went int o take a look in the mirror and it was gone! Lol the thing was it left no scar or anything..maybe the water/chlorine soften the pimple up and since i was aggresivly horsing around/swimming/etc. it just came off! I swear if i didnt go to the pool that one day, i probably wouldnt know what to do!

I was here searching this exact subject (though I got side tracked). I have noticed that I have been breaking out in our pool. Usually, I clear up in the pool, but it is so wierd. So, I asked what was different about the pool and I was told that they changed chemicals this summer and since the pool was reading 0 chlorine levels; they chlorinated the hell out of it. It even stinks like chemicals. My brother in law told me that if you slash you hand in the pool and the bubbles stay there a long time; then there is way too much chlorine. So, I did that today and the bubbles stayed for a good minute - YUCK!!! So, maybe it is not a matter of chlorine, but too much chlorine. Seriously, I am convinced it is that or cheap crappy chlorine. So, let me know what you all know about this subject and if I am totally off here. biggrin.gif

I was here searching this exact subject (though I got side tracked).  I have noticed that I have been breaking out in our pool.  Usually, I clear up in the pool, but it is so wierd.  So, I asked what was different about the pool and I was told that they changed chemicals this summer and since the pool was reading 0 chlorine levels; they chlorinated the hell out of it.  It even stinks like chemicals.  My brother in law told me that if you slash you hand in the pool and the bubbles stay there a long time; then there is way too much chlorine.  So, I did that today and the bubbles stayed for a good minute - YUCK!!!  So, maybe it is not a matter of chlorine, but too much chlorine.  Seriously, I am convinced it is that or cheap crappy chlorine.  So, let me know what you all know about this subject and if I am totally off here.  biggrin.gif

Wow, that's WAAAAAAY too much chlorine if it bubbles for a minute. It's really not supposed to bubble at all..

Wow, that's WAAAAAAY too much chlorine if it bubbles for a minute. It's really not supposed to bubble at all..

Yeah, if it bubbles for a minute, it's definitely wayyyy too high. I have found though, when the chlorine and PH levels are just right in our pool, it sort of has a crisp, really light bubbly feel to the water.

Anyway, I've found swimming actually helps my acne. Don't know if it's the germ killing effects of the chlorine, or if it drys my skin out a little which ends up helping. I always wash my face and use a moisturizer after getting out of the pool though.