Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I went to my doc earlier today to ask for a second round of Tane. He told me that my acne was mild, and that they don't put people on Tane during the summer. He gave some kind of anitbiotic, which I will try, even though I know it won't work. He also said that unless you go up to the full 80mg a day that Accutane did not work. This confused me, as I have read things here that say low doses of Tane have helped people. Doesn't Tane have a higher succses rate the second time? Is it only for cystic ance? Can a low dose be effective? What's the formula for figuring out how much you should take? It you already have delicate skin that dries out easily, does that mean you'd need less Tane?

I never used more than 40- 60 mg a day for my cycle of Accutane. I was on it for close to 7 mos. And it most definitely worked for me. I have mild acne as well but not even close to what I used to suffer. I would definitely disagree his statement that "anything less than 80mg does not work." I am living proof that 40-60 can work.

The dosage is determined by body weight. I guess it is something like 0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg/day. (1 kg = 2.2 lbs) Taking less than this for a longer period of time work and seems like a popular choice these days since it makes the side effects more bearable.

I never used more than 40- 60 mg a day for my cycle of Accutane.  I was on it for close to 7 mos.  And it most definitely worked for me.  I have mild acne as well but not even close to what I used to suffer.  I would definitely disagree his statement that "anything less than 80mg does not work."  I am living proof that 40-60 can work.

I never used more than 40- 60 mg a day for my cycle of Accutane.  I was on it for close to 7 mos.  And it most definitely worked for me.  I have mild acne as well but not even close to what I used to suffer.  I would definitely disagree his statement that "anything less than 80mg does not work."  I am living proof that 40-60 can work.

You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that.  My doc said that if this didn't work, he'd put me back on Tane in the fall.  I only weigh 60 kg, so then if I took 40 or 60mg a day, wouldn't that be like my peak dose anyways?

It's not like the first time at 80mg Tane did nothing for me. I was clear while on it, and it got rid of my cystic acne. Now I just want a second course to finish the job. I honestly think that 80mg the first time was too high, as my skin was so dry no amount of moisturizing helped, and the redness was extreme. I feel that 7 or even 8 months of 40mg could help me.

The above is for the first-time user. It is common knowledge among Accutane prescribers that a second or third course will usually need push to the higher limits of safe dosing.

Does that apply to all 2nd/3rd courses?  Or only ones that are done fairly soon after the initial course?  I had my first course about 15 years ago, would as intense a dosage be needed as if i did my first course last year?

Your case would be hard to predict, and certainly I would not do that. All I can say is that if you were to walk/saunter/sashay into my office, I would calculate a dose based mostly on your appearance.