Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay its only been 2 weeks guys rolleyes.gif but I dont know. The breakout wasnt as bad as i thought, but maybe theres more to come. Ive got like two massive cysts on my chin, there slowlllyy healing, but I havnt had any of these for ages so its def the differin kicking in i suspect. My other acne hasnt got worse, but hasnt really got better. I can see a little progress on one side of my cheek with is great eusa_dance.gif touch wood i dont get a huge breakout again. Has anyone tried differin, what are your opinions on it. Also Im taking lymecycline (tetralysal 300 antibiotics) Anyone taken these? Are there any success stories out there?

Take care guys

ps acnes a bitch sad.gif

Guest Marino

Hey champ,

Welcome to the boards! I've taken antibiotics and topical Retinoids before [currently still on the retinoid].

Antibiotics:

Name: Clindamycine [topical; Clinda tech] [oral; Vibra-Tabs] *had to take both*

Time: 4-6 months

Effectivenss: Cleared about 95 percent of acne

Side affects: Photosensitive [sun], antibiotic resistance

Antibiotics took me about 4 months to clear. The worked great removed everything execpt for ocasional fortinghtly pimple [was good enough for me]. The only prob was once i was clear I would come off the antibiotic. The acne just returns. So i took it again. I repeated this process 3 times. On the 3rd time it just didn't work. After 8 months my derm decided my body had become resistant and was worthless.

Retinoid

Name: Isotrex

Time: 8 weeks

Effectivenss: 99 percent clear [just a bit more than the antibiotic]

Sideaffects: Photosensitive, dryness, itching, redness

Your body needs to get used to it first. You into your second week so your o.k, just dont overdose. Unlike the antibiotic your body cant become resistant, take for as long as possible. Once you come off it your acne WILL RETURN.

Give yourself 3 months to see results. If you dont see any results go to your derm and demand acutane. Otherwise discontinue the antibiocs and continue with the retinoid into you mid 20's. I know it sounds stupid but trust me, as long as your homrones are up and ready your acne will need to be supresed.

P.S I know

Hey

Just curious isnt isotrex another name for accutane? and is this isotrex a topical cream or an oral tablet? Sounds like it works for you, hopefully my current differen+tetra will work. If not after 3 months, guess its back to the doc. Im hoping he will put me on accutane! (i know its very unlikely tho Ive only tried 2 antibiotics). My acne is moderate, but its effecting me realy bad. Ill just have to see how the next few weeks go. Thanks

Isotrex is isotretinoin gel, so it is the same thing as accutane but in a topical form. However, it is not even remotely as effective as oral accutane. There is also Isotrexin which combines isotretinoin with the antibiotic erythromycin. I used Isotrexin and it was honestly the worse that my skin has ever been. Differin is the best topical I have used, but unfortunately that is not saying much

cry.gif Ok guys Im in week three and the cysts are slowly healing, but im breaking out in other places like my upper cheek area and ive never experienced these spots - there are like big bumps with no puss in them, they just feel like soft REALLY big bumps, like ive got a pebble stuck in me! Differin works weirdly man. but cos im gettin these fucked up spots, i somehow am thinkin its doing its job therfore workin lol! oh my god. And im breakin out a little near my nose, disgusting red blotchy type ones. Fucks sake! Cmon differin. I think, i said i think that the worst side of my cheek has stopped breaking out as much as it used to which Im very happy about. Because ive got so many scars from whiteheads there, hopefully they can just heal without any more whiteheads forming now. The other side of my cheek is also lookin a little better, one or two spots here and there but like i said ive got these nasty 'pain up the ass' type spots near my nose which take ages to go and you cant pop them, they just stay there. bp seems to help these. by the way i think im gonna continue using bp occaisonally in the morning, because you definetly need some help with the breakouts.

guys, if anyone on differin please share your experiences, i continue tp update all of you until month 3, hopefully, unless i commit suicide. joke

take care peeps

my complex feelings at present:

surprised.gifeusa_pray.gifevil.gifdoubt.gifeusa_doh.gifeusa_wall.gifwacko.gif

Hi guys

Im reaching WEEK 4. and im not happy man. i really thought i cud see progress, but yesterday in my worst area - my right cheek - i got a little break out again! The cycle seems to never end on my cheek, keep getting god damn breakouts i hate it. Well Im still trying to stay positive. My cysts have gone down and the big bumps have gone down. Still getting the few breakout spots near my nose. Other then that its not too bad. Few on my chin formin, but there really little. The breakout on my cheek, the spots are so small and looks like there just gonna be there for ages. There the worst you know, because you cant pop them, but you just want them to just go as soon as possible cos you know they are there! I steamed today and put some bp hopefully that might get rid of them, doubt it though! Im still trying to live it out, i really wanna get to month 3 and see whats happening. but things are lookin a little doubtful on the differin. cmon why does time go slow, if ive still got acne in september for university, i am fucked. officially going to die!

Keep you posted guys!

PS : Anyway with any sort of experience on differin please post, it helps! bye guys

cool.gif

Hey there

Don't give up just yet.

Just curious - how are you applying the gel? It may sound glaringly obvious but if you use too much, it does seem to cause more breakouts.

I have used differin in the past and found this to be the case. Also I didn't find it helped that much when applied all over my face - did cause flare ups. Although differin does seem to be tolerated better than other topical retinoids, I'd still advise you use it very sparingly.

As for the antibiotics - have you been on many different ones or is this the first - if it is you should see quite an improvement, I did with the first couple of antibiotics.

If you get past the two month mark and you feel you have had NO improvement - do go back and see your doctor.

Keep us posted.

I've been using differin for almost a month now. I've also found that if you use too much of it then it may cause breakouts. Apply only a thin layer on only spots where you have breakouts. Don't put it all over your face.

I'm using exactly what you're using.. differin everyday and tetralyzal (150mg though) a day..

I'm on the 12th day and my skin's a shit yet lol

Hi Guys

Reaching WEEK 5. oh my god its gone so fast! just to clarify im using the differin cream everyone! well the blotchy spots on my nose have actually gone down! Right side of face is clearing up nicely. My chin is acting a little weird, theres a few hidden weird spots there i think the differin its tryin to bring the shit up but my chin has always been a bit weird, i get cysts down there. However, yes, however, i did get a little breakout on my upper right cheek yesterday. I cant believe im getting spots there! it used be just my cheek, now its spreading up and up! my cheek breakout from last week is slowing healing and i cant see anymore. but above it, im getting a few. But im hoping this is the final stages of breakout! i cant believe imin week 5 and stil breaking out. but im thinking, if i wasnt using differin, im sure id break out anyway! who knows. overall, my face isnt tooo bad, im left with a bit of scarring, but overall i have to admit ive been going out quite often and its nice to get out you know. Sometimes im like, yeh this is working, but sometimes im looking in the mirror and thinking yuk fuckin hell. Its 50 50 you know. Guys, wait till month 3, im gonna see if this mother fuckin differin is any good .and ill let u all know. peace

confused.gif

WOW WEEK 6 tommorow.

What can i say. Im not gona lie, there isnt much progress since the beginning of week 1, but that doesnt mean my hopes are crushed. i can see how the differin is bringing up all the spots, but healing takes time. my problem area faced another little breakout this week, and basically looks disgusting from all the scars and stuff. my face is looking a little flatter, no more severe bumps, but we'll see!

This week, i stopped getting greasy skin in the day. you see, differin made my face mega oily, but in the last week, ive experienced the exact opposite - dryness. wots going on. personally i think its because ive been using bp in the day, and bp is drying for me, and its eventually kicking in. its stopped the oilness of differin. i hope that im not effecting the use of differin by using bp guys

Guys - if your planning on going on differin - look at my lil journal, im on week 6 and im not exactly jumping for joy here. be prepared for a breakout and a long , slow recovery process. Wish I could post a success story. not yet. ill keep you posted.

smile.gif

WEEK 7 - oh shit, everytime im amazed how fast these weeks are going.

basically, the oilness has come back (mainly cos i reduced the usage of bp). im really upset guys. i looked in the mirror this morning and damn. the worst side of my face (right cheek) looks disgusting, full of scars all the way to near my forehead. my other left cheek is beginning to breakout in little bobble type spots. i knew these would come up eventually because of the differin. this differin shit really has been a roller coaster of emotions. im having good weeks and bad weeks. postives are: i dont hve many bumps on my cheek. my skin is flatter, hopefully this will stay for once and i can have some hope! this is my motivation - the scars will heal. i dont wanna knock differin yet - cmon week 12.

wink.gifconfused.gif

WEEK 8 - Whoah!

The flatness on my face is stillsort of there - thats a positive. the bobble type spots are popping on my left cheek and healing slowly - theyre not that bad though, i know they will heal nicely. my worst side, my right cheek, suffered Another breakout near my temples and cheek - but a very small one at that. Im very worried about the scarring Im facing - i hope the scars will fade in at least 2-3 months and that's if i dont get any more breakouts. The good thing is there isnt much active acne on my face at present touch wood, but the scars look horendous, they need to fade quickly. My chin isnt doing too bad either. Honestly - my positives are that - i havnt got any horrible cysts since week 1, my nose and the area around it has stopped suffered breakouts!, nor does my upper lip area, nor does my forhead. Dont get me wrong though, im not exactly happy yet, my battle is far from over. My cheeks are the worst and always have been! Id rather wait till week 12 to give an indpth testimonal. lets just say im praying, im hoping, and we'll see....

week 1 = breakout..

im using tane too..

does differin increase oilness? i'm using the gel.. and my face is very oily but as im using tane so its not oily now but im stoping using tane it may come back...

WEEK 9 - Im not happy

Got a breakout on both sides of my nose. Little spots forming again AROUND my problem area on right cheek. i dunno. im just fed up. got a massive bump on my head aswell lol. i dont really wanna talk too much about my face this week. its not exactly beautiful lol. fear not tho, differin has another 3 weeks to prove me wrong. then it'll be 3 months. anyway

change of subject - found out my mum went on accutane back in the days. and her acne wasnt even that bad, but she'd gone through the list of tops and antis and they put her on it. wow. plus her brother has shit acne. im scared, i want accutane. plus, she said it like it was no biggy, like she cudnt even remember any side effects and she was like yeh had some dryness thats about it. she said her acne never came back. but she said i shudnt go on it cos im too young and my liver is young and stuff. but hey, looks like im heading down that path. went to my doc to get more tetra aswell yesterday, he talked to me about going to a derma if im not happy. maybe a derm is my next path.

ive said it before and ill say it again - differn, save me baby

WEEK 10

and im supposed to be seeing like good results here but im not. my problem area has sort of stopped breakout out (my cheeks), but im getting breakouts in other places now like around my nose and around my cheek area. i cant afford to get spots in any other places now, or my condition will look like its leaped from moderate to severe. i dont know what differin is doing, but i can only hope and pray that its working and slowly my skin will start to change. i really should be seeing some good results after 10 weeks cmon, but my skin looks like shit to be hoenst, not really different from when i started. thats because ive suffered the breakouts from it, now im just hoping that soon they will stop and my scars will heal. to be honest, it still needs a little more time to tell. the brekaouts are lessening in some areas, so i dont know. its all about time. 10 weeks is a long time tho, for fucks sake, why is there not a quicker cure. ill keep you posted.

i hope that these weekly logs are helping ppl on differn, although i seem to slag the product off each week. be aware that it is a long process being on any topical cream. if anyone has anything to add about differin please feel free.

When i was jsut on differin and tetralysal I noticed that the pustules on my lower face stopped within weeks but they persisted on my forehead. Have you noticed much change in your acne severity?

Guy20uk

Have you made an appointment with a derm yet? You may as well get the wheels in motion, cos unless you're gonna pay private - you may have to wait several weeks anyway. That way you can persevere with the differin until then.

Do you feel you have had any improvement on the differin?

I know acne can be slow to respond etc but if you have seen NO improvement by this stage - move on.

btw - hope you are not still considering buying the tane off the net??

hey abby, wow people respond to me as a person! and they remember my fucked up highs and lows in this forum lol! well, the tane off the net, i dont know, im trying not to go down that path and i keep praying that differin will save me but im not sure. honestly, i dont know if there is improvement. my acne is still there and my face looks shit. it made me breakout in other places, even in weeks 8 and 9, and im slowly recovering from them, slowly. my troubled area eventually has sort of stopped breaking out. but everytime i say that, i get another breakout there, so i dont know. plus i keep breaking out in other places, again, like on the other side of my face, and around my nose. why is this happening. is differin finally going to kick in and thats why im getting these breakouts. or i am just daydreamin. i think on the 3 month mark im really going to look at my face and decide what im going to do. i mean, i asked for more differin at the doctors because i wanted to keep this regimen going - 8-12 weeksright. thats what ppl on this forum have really recomended. if i never went on this forumn, prob a month or two after differin i wud have changed meds. i dont know abby. 3 months, and if im not happy, then im getting tane, somehow, god help ! i cant go on another cream for 3 months, nooooo.

I do know where you're coming from - I'm also carrying on with the tetralysal 300 - I have my next derm appointment in a 3 weeks so I think I will also be asking for the roaccutane. Luckily the derm I see is actually quite good - at my last appointment, I was in there for over 1/2 hour which from what I've read on these forums is pretty good!

Your skin sounds a lot like mine at the moment - seems to stop breaking out one minute and then all hell breaks loose the next. I take the tablets and use the topical religiously and can't understand why it clears me then causes me to break out time and time again.

I think you're doing the sensible thing though and sticking to the 3 months - and as you say if you're not happy, tell the doc. Try not to let him fob you off with more creams and do ask for that referral if you seriously want roaccutane.

Good luck and keep us posted on it.

x

arr thanx. wow someone complimented me for doing the right thing, for once rolleyes.gif

abby, i think ive got a crush on you. your so mature. and your so supportive. damn your fine. lol

wink.gif

keep u posted babe razz.gif

WEEK 11

I really didnt wana post this week cos ive been upset and worried (as you may have gathered as my name is showered above every topic). Im coming up to 3 months and im worried that, Differin did NOT work, yes thats right, did NOT work as well as I thought it would. Just recently I have got another small breakout on my cheek, which to me means that maybe its not gonna work. The other cheek is full of spots deep under the skin which will slowly one by one come up (but they dont bother me cos you cant seem them yet). My chin isnt too bad, i reckon the antibiotics have stopped any cysts and the differin has perhaps helped my chin, moustache area, forehead is okay. my nose get bit more spotty than usual, but the only place i didnt use differin was my nose (cos it broke me out bad when i first applied it there). Around my nose is quite red and horrible looking and looks like its easily acne prone. i still get the ocasional bumps around the nose, probably cos its so greasy there.

one side of my face (probklem area) looks dis-gus-ting. just if the scars werent there, it may look a little better, but with scars and active spots, whiteheads and tiny bumps (u can see in the light), just looks nasty.

anyway im debating on starting accutane this week, yes off the net, fuck all of you that dont agree (sorry but ive been too much of the nice guy recently). its really my life, and if i die off it then that'l be the end of my sadlife

sorry i didnt mean that, im just mad. ill start again. im debating whether to go on tane, but scared because i start a new semester end of september and if i get a horrific breakout (which may very well happen and im shitting it) then im gonna look like pizza hut on my day back at uni. but in the long run i may regret not taking it now, rather then in the middle of uni. im really confused and scared.everyone keeps shitting meup with the horirfic dangers of accutane, whilst others are saying its no biggy, go for it, the testimonals are miraculous. by the way, my mum went on tane a few years ago (i found out recently, her acne was never that bad tho) and she said she was fine on it, bit of dry lips andall, but she said her acne never returned. this gives me hope that is she was ok, then maybe ill be ok.

HHHEEEEELPPPPPP. I believe in god, but have never blamed him for my acne. i feel maybe this is what i deserve after doing so much wrong in life. or maybe this is the work of evil! BUt all in all, religion teaches us not to worry about our appearence, we are all equal. Its a shame society is so cruel.