Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i've been lurking this forum since about January, when my face went crazy!!!! My oil production went through the roof. I have no idea what is going on. I tried B5, just water, just BP, just SA, using a moisturizer, fixing my diet, drinking loads of water, but nothing. The only thing that seems to kinda help is washing with Clearasil BP cleanser and then using BP gel right after, but then oil starts coming back maybe after an hour or so. So here's the chicken or the egg question... Do enlarged pores cause oil or does the oil cause the enlarged pores? My skin looks sooooo good right after a shower, since my pores are basically non existant. I'm sure that my acne problem is getting worse, because of all the oil. My problem areas are everywhere except for my mustache and chin area, they have no oil?!!?!? but my nose, cheeks, and especially forehead....good god! today i actually felt my nose throbbing from the oil production, i wish i was kidding.

If you are a girl try antiandrogens. If you are a boy there is not much you can do. Maybe rice powder before you go someplace>

Yeah I know...the oil production on my face is getting to be really annoying. When I wash my face in the morning, it looks awesome...an hour later; no dice.

damn, i'm not a girl... did i just say that? is there really nothing i can do about my androgens? oh yeah i forgot that i started primal defense a couple of weeks ago too, but no progress yet.

Supposedly topical spironolactone would help with oil, there has not been any real studies. I get a very oily forehead a tiny bit everywhere else, thankfully that is it. But my forehead gets extremely oily.

oh yeah, another thing, i've cut my hair really short, so i don't have to use gel anymore, thinking that might be some of the problem, but nothing, no difference in the forehead oil

Yes when I do not wear my hair down it is still just as oily. I just cover my forehead so it does not show. definately try rice powder. it absorbs excess oil, and will cover some red marks.

one of the main reasons i tried just water is that i thought my face was getting too dependent on products. i felt that everything was making my face too dry and my body was overcompensating by producing more oil. but the fact that my chin and upper lip are dry, questions my thoughts

Mixmash, I think you're right about too many products causing oil to overproduce. Maybe instead of water you could use a gentle soap though, like Purpose, which doesn't have any SA or BP or anything. I think Cetaphil is another like that. My daughter's derm said to just wash after sweating or whenever she gets oily. I even keep pre-moistened wipes in the car if I pick her up after x-country practice and she's all sweaty. Other than that, I don't know. There's another thread that recommends the vitamin Boswellia (I think that's how you spell it) for oil production. Take 3X a day. Don't know if it works, though. Good luck.

no that spiro and accutane and POSSIBLY vitamin A is supposed to stop oil production.................all that other junk doesn't stop it

OMG USE OAT FROM BATH AND BODY WORKS! It CONTROLS so many freakn oil! Dudee! U gotta try this! IM JUST REMEMBER THIS AS IM WRITING...its the best thing..i know i sound like im an advertiser..but DUDEE..this will work! Im telling ya its all in the OAT! IM GOING CRAZY DUDEE!! Go to bathandbodyworks.com

You can use Clear and clear Absorption sheets the blue ones which work for 6-8 hours part of the day!!

I do tooo have oily skin but after using the Murad SA face wash the oil just went away also now using Burt's bees Tomato Soap which helps with the oil production i guess!!

Check that out...

i tried the gentle soap routine and just washing in the morning and before bed.... didn't work. i thought about accutane, but there is no way i would just get it for oil, seems drastic. i tried tazorac, but i am only supposed to use it at night, dried me up a little, but i can't use it during the day, because of the sun sensitivity.

brisk, i too would like to start the tazorac again, but i don't want to get my body too dependent on it. that and i can't use it during the day...

brisk, i too would like to start the tazorac again, but i don't want to get my body too dependent on it.  that and i can't use it during the day...

1) The vitamin A solution from www.thevitamincure.com mentioned in poorabest's posting seems to control oils, but it works slowly...you need to be patient. Check out the link in poorabest's posting for a complete thread on the product.

2) Copper peptide from www.skinbiology.com is also effective at oil control. By adding a very small amount of emu oil on top of the copper peptide seems to make it a bit more effective. I use Super CP Serum. (The creams are meant for those who are less prone to acne.)

3) Compact Anti-Shine by Smashbox Cosmetics (found at www.qvc.com in the U.S. or www.theshoppingchannel.com in Canada) is a small compact that is used to absorb excess oils from the skin. Smashbox says this product is both for males and females. Unlike a makeup which just applies more and more powder to the skin, this product uses the powder to absorb the excess oils. It also has tea tree oil which can help to control bacteria. I usually use this to matte my face when I am going out after work.

4) Steaming the face is effective at reducing oil production for a day or two. I use a professional clothes steamer (like those found in higher end clothing stores). 15 to 20 minutes of steaming and I am oil free for 24 to 48 hours.

5) A clay mask will help to soak up excess oils for at least a couple of days. I use the Glycolic 3 mask from Serious Skin Care. It contains kaolin clay (which I find to be very effective and isn't as harsh and difficult to remove as other types of mud masks) and glycolic acid (which aids in removing dead skin cells from the skin's surface). Sulfur masks with kaolin clay are also good at controlling oils and controlling breakouts.

6) There are some moisturizers which contain microsponges that absorb excess oils from the skin. Daily Oil Control by Proactiv, Sheer Matteness by Clinique and Shine Control Moisturizer by Clean & Clear all use similar technology. Some people have success with these products, but I find these microsponge products seem to make my skin more oily.

7) A chemical peel seems to help keep my skin oil-free for almost a week. I find that a 30% glycolic peel is sufficient without needing to use a stronger more damaging solution.

8) I find that whenever I use a toner (regardless of brand or ingredients) my skin becomes much oilier. Currently I use Daily Ritual Cleanser by Serious Skin Care. It is slightly more acidic so it maintains the skin's acid mantle (which, when disrupted, can leave the skin suceptible to bacteria and increased oiliness). It is effective enough that a toner is not sold or required with almost all of Serious Skin Cleansers. If you use products that are overly harsh and strip the skin of its oils, it will attempt to normalize the skin by producing oils to correct the situation which, in turn, can lead to an overproduction of oils thereby making the situation worse.

I hope something in this post is of help. Good luck.

I am really trying to limit the amount of products that I'm using. Before my face freaked out, all I was using was Dove Sensitive Bar twice a day and then Clean and Clear daytime SA and Clean and Clear nightime 10% BP. I used the BP on active acne and a thin layer of SA in the morning for the rest of the day. I started to break out on my neck area, so I freaked out and started using acne cleanser and more BP and more SA, then my face started getting oilier and oilier. So I'm assuming that if I limit my products, then my face oils will normalize and stop overproducing. Does this make any sense or am I being dumb?

update... i've also added boswellic acid to my regimen, hopefully this does something, since b5 did absolutely nothing. i don't want to change my topical regimen too much, since i'm sure i'm aggravating the problem, who knows?

Been using the boswellic acid for about a week so far, but since I've limited myself to 2 face washes a day also, I can't tell if it was the reduced washing or the boswellic that has reduced the oil.

I read that Boswellic Acid is for sore joints and better flexibility. Hows it work to stop oil production?