Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Since I've seen that Vitamin A helps curb sebum production and it helps with dead skin clumping and clogging, I decided to check it out. I hear it's also what Accutane either is based off of or even actually is or something like that. I went to Wild Oats and got some water dispersible Vitamin A 15,000 IU/pill. It says right on it how it helps maintain healthy skin. Any one else have experiences with this?

Yes that is correct. Vitamin A will reduce sebum production and help normalize keratinization. Accutane is a derivative of retinoic acid. Retinol itself is not as effective as isotretinoin or tretinoin. In the 1920's, megadosing on vitamin a was done for acne, until they found out about all the side effects. Megadosing on the retinol form of vitamin a is more dangerous than accutane itself. If I were you I would not take more than 1 pill to 2 a day unless you are monitored much like people are with accutane.

I found this additional info on the net:

It is important to understand that vitamin A applied topically is essential for every acne case. That is the mainstay. If the acne does not respond to this simple treatment then other modalities of treatment should be added to the regime. AHA’s, benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid should be considered next and then if that does not succeed, peeling might solve the problem. These treatments have minimal side effects, which are reversible. Important point is that when we treat acne we only treat the symptoms so the treatment must be long lasting. Another discouraging fact is that generally the treatments for acne first make the condition worse before the acne improves. This aggravated phase may last several months.