Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey whats up everyone, I've got a terrible delema. See I only break out on the sides of my face. Now when I don't shave my face is pretty clear, a few pimples here and there but nothing bad, then I shave and my face turns red and it gets very irritated and then I break out. I bought this Aveeno Shave Lotion for Sensitive Skin and a Gillette Mach 3 Turbo Razor but that did not help, then I bought a Shick Quattro razor with 4 blades which made things worse, so then I spent $100 on the new Norelco Cool Skin Eletric Razor which did not make a change at all. I used it this morning and had my usual breakout. I've also tried my dad's Braun electric razor which works perfect on him but that made me breakout worse. So what should I do? I have no idea what to do and it is ridiculious because my skin isn that bad but when I shave it looks like shit and I have to shave pretty much everyday because I am hairy haha. So any suggestions?

You should try shaving in the shower. I bought a fogless mirror about one year ago and have shaved in the shower ever since. I never broke out after I shaved but I was just hoping to reduce the amount of irritation. And I'm sure you've heard this before but shave with the grain. I know that at times when I want the closest shave possible I shave against the grain. After you finish shaving in the shower rinse it off with some cold water then apply some sort of after shave gel. Good luck.

Here's something I posted awhile back, updated and modified with what I do now:

Alot of people have frequent bumps around their jawline and neck that are often caused by shaving. These can be more avoidable than other types of acne, but often it seems the same factors that lead to acne lead to these as well. Many people can shave any which way they want and never have to worry about these shaving bumps or any acne, but some people can't. If you were taught to shave by someone who doesn't have to worry about any of this then chances are you can take some steps yourself to help reduce the amount of acne in these areas. I thought it was funny that when asked about shaving all my derm could tell me was what he shaves with, but since he doesn't have any acne worries that was no guarantee that it would work for me.

First off a bit about my skin type, I have oily skin, but I'm not sure if that even affects the area that I shave. More importantly, I have curly hair. This is a pretty big issue because it means that if you cut the hair below the surface of the skin it can curl up and grow back into a shaving bump. Most razors nowadays are double or even triple bladed (I won't even talk about the new four bladed razors). The first blade lifts the hairs which are then cut by the following blades. This means you actually cut the hair below skin level. This is great if your goal is to remain smooth for hours, and I'll be the first to agree that that would be nice. However, if you have trouble with your skin then this only causes ingrown hairs which results in unsightly (and sometimes painful) shaving bumps. If you are acne prone then these can quickly become infected.

In addition, each of these razors being pulled over your skin is irritating. I don't even want to think about what kind of damage four blades could dish out to my skin. Bic makes single bladed disposable razors that I assure you work just fine. They even have a special "sensitive" one-bladed razor that I have found ideal for my situation. I highly recommend this razor.

Before beginning I recommend jumping under a warm shower and making sure to get all areas that you will be shaving thoroughly wet. This does something good for the skin, opens up the pores or something or another, but I can't remember exactly what. Also, you want to be relaxed when you shave, try to avoid shaving after you've just worked out because of something to do with blood vessels or another. I'm not entirely sure on the science, but I trust the advice, and I pass it along.

For lather I use Gilette Complete Skin Care Shave Gel. I have also used the shaving cream of the same name with decent success. I prefer the Gel because I think it causes less irritation on repeat strokes, but I could just be imagining that. The label says it does, so maybe I was influenced by that. If you have a shaving gel/cream (or a diff soap) that you prefer then do whatever suits you best. I will say that I THINK I remember my derm telling me that in general gels are better than creams, but I can't recall for sure. Either way, the soap has worked for me. The key is to find something that works for you. smile.gif

When shaving it's important to always shave with the grain. Shaving against the grain can cause you to cut the hair below skin level and lead to ingrown hairs, it probably leads to skin irritation as well. Additionally, you want to make sure you don't pull your skin tight when you're shaving, either with your hands or with your facial muscles. Leave your skin loose. This can be hardest around the jawline area where you (or at least I) have a natural tendency to want to pull my skin tight to make it easier. I've found that in general I'd rather miss a spot or not shave too close as opposed to dealing with a zit or razor bump for however long it's going to last. For the jawline I have found it is NOT a good idea to shave parallel to the jawline. Shave perpendicular down your cheek and then around the jaw bone. Shaving along the jawline itself led to problems for me. I always leave the jawline area for the second to last, the chin being the last part I shave. It's important to note that for most people on their neck the hair starts (under the jaw) by growing down, then at some point switches and grows up. After you've lathered up your neck use your fingers to figure out which way the hair grows where and then shave appropriately (with the grain). At first it may take you awhile to shave this way, and indeed, I won't lie, it's still time consuming for me, but I consider the time investment worth it.

After shaving I use Nivea for Men After Shave Balm (Mild). I like how it makes my skin feel, but I'm sure there are other products out there that work the same or better. Then I jump back in the shower and wash the area I just shaved with Provon medicated soap w/ pcmx. After that I apply a SA/AHA gel to the areas shaved, but I think it's the SA that is important and does most of the work.

My shaving problems are more on my neck than the sides of my face, but hopefully the same advice will aid you as it has me. Shaving a couple days ago my neck was the smoothest and clearest that I can ever remember it being. It seems like over time it'll keep getting better from this system. One thing that can help is letting the hair grow out for a week or so to give your skin time to heal. Once your skin becomes irritated it takes less and less irritation to provoke a new breakout, at least in my experience.

j

when you say shave with the grain, does that mean like for example if the hair is growing down shave up? or does it mean if hair is growing down then shave down, because that doesnt get too close.

Fogless mirror

Shave every other day

Dont use hot water it can inflame the face, the poors will be open from the shower

Use gillete sensor excel

Use a shaving GEL that you find PERSONAL doesnt break you out

moisturise after

wash face before.

I used to have this problem also, cleared it up though. My advice:

Shave WITH the grain, only. This means using downward strokes. No, it won't get as close, but it won't cover your face with bumps. Few guys really have skin that can stand up to being shaved against the grain.

Make sure you're not shaving with a dull razor.

Every time before shaving, pour some alcohol over the blade to disinfect it. Be sure to rinse the alcohol off before shaving though.

Use an alcohol FREE after shave. I just rinse my face and apply a moisturizer.