Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wishfulthinkin

it's happening again

Hi again everyone,

I am now half way through week 4 and I woke up yesterday with 3 new pimples. They're not huge, but nonetheless discouraging. Up until now my skin was doing awesome, from day one I saw vast improvements, but now I'm not so sure. This is exactly what happened to me when I used proactiv. My skin did well at first and then over a period of a couple months became worse and worse. Can someone please help! I'm starting to lose faith in this regimen. cry.gif

Hi again everyone, 

I am now half way through week 4 and I woke up yesterday with 3 new pimples.  They're not huge, but nonetheless discouraging.  Up until now my skin was doing awesome, from day one I saw vast improvements, but now I'm not so sure.  This is exactly what happened to me when I used proactiv.  My skin did well at first and then over a period of a couple months became worse and worse.  Can someone please help!  I'm starting to lose faith in this regimen.  cry.gif

Hi again everyone, 

I am now half way through week 4 and I woke up yesterday with 3 new pimples.  They're not huge, but nonetheless discouraging.  Up until now my skin was doing awesome, from day one I saw vast improvements, but now I'm not so sure.  This is exactly what happened to me when I used proactiv.  My skin did well at first and then over a period of a couple months became worse and worse.  Can someone please help!  I'm starting to lose faith in this regimen.   cry.gif

Hey there don't give up give it some more time. I didn't seem to get real results until week 7 and 8 and now my skin is doing fairly well other than red marks. Give it some more time. Stick to the regimen for 3 months and hopefully your skin will turn back around. Patience and consistency are the answers! Good luck!

I know it is so hard to be patient and keep up with it. Trust me I was so close to giving up many times but just stick it out unfortunately there is no miracle overnight clear or else we would all have beautiful clear skin. Wouldn't that be a perfect world!! I am now at the frustrating part of many red marks that are disappearing very, very slowly so trust me I know how you feel! Good luck!

I'll just second the sentiments already posted here.

I can absolute relate to the frustration you are feeling, as I'm going through the same thing with a few nasty pimples having just passed week 2 on Thursday.

I definately have to convince myself to slow down and do things right every morning and every night as I'm certain that the slow and liberal application of the BP is an extremely important aspect of the regimen working. That and time... lots of time to get to a point where everything is "done" and all the BP you are applying is proactive instead of reactive. I think (and I believe rightly so) that in the first few weeks/months we are dealing with existing p.acnes that are much more likely to manifest in visible blemishes then in later stages when you are basically destroying the p.acnes as they come. At least I *think* that's how this all fits together.

Hang tough, as will I, and in a few more weeks/months hopefully we shall both be posting glowing reports of success.

you've got the basic sentiment right, yes, 4 weeks in and still experiencing more skin eruption is common, even expected. a few points you might find interesting/optimistic:

dan (and the rest of us) can generalize. but our skin isnt yours.

uniformly generalizing with hard numbers is difficult, because of factors such as variance on base p. acnes skin population (which typically ranges a full degree of magnitude: 100,000 to 1 million cells/square centimeter, typically). some people's sebaceous glands release more sebum (although its virtually always above average to begin with, in acne sufferers) than others, some people have more of a misbalanced epidermopoiesis (this is a collective name for the various inhibitors and growth indicators your body uses to tell your upper skin to grow more cells or not, and where. again, this is VERY common in acne sufferers) than others, leading to more dead skin cells everywhere, including in the follicle. amount of benzoyl peroxide applied, degree of moisturizer supplied naturally by the skin (existing hydrolipid film structure), and amount and type you supplement it with. there are a myriad of other factors i'll save for another day (previous treatment regimen, race, age, gender, etc, etc, etc), you get the idea - especially early in the regimen, different skin will react positively in every case (excluding allergy), but the magnitude will differ based on these factors.

initial increase in acne is normal with dan's (and any b.p.) regimen.

in one study i read, benzoyl peroxide cut the overall dead skin cell count (corneocytes, these arent really cells in anything but name anymore, they have no internal cell structures, they basically just carry protein (keratin/fillagrin) toward the surface of the skin) from a mean 87,000 cells/cm^2 to 36,000 cm^2...in 2 weeks. this is a lot of dead skin cells being cut loose. inevitably, many of these will be tied up by pre-existing keratin plugs. acne's gonna form, and where it has formed, it will be exacerbated: this is the main cause behind the "2 week flareup". another corollary to this is the irritation still around from increasing b.p. usage, and amount. now, this study wasnt of dan's regimen: undoubtedly they applied the b.p. in full force. we arent, you're gradually working it up to avoid this harsh irritation, so your 2 week breakout wont be absolute: it will be noticable, then you'll gradually purge more initial corneocytes will probably be spread out over 3-4 weeks, possibly more (everyone's skin is different, as i said). a notable breakout, then a few here and there over the following few weeks, basically, is common.

skin takes a while to fully purge itself of...itself.

skin cells start out as basal cells, in the bottom of the 5 layers (stratum basale) of your upper skin (epidermis). these cells are always dividing - half of them stay behind to keep dividing, the other half start the process of migrating up through the 5 layers to eventually be shed as dead skin on the top layer (stratum corneum). no need to explain the function and differential changes the cells go through as they pass through the 5 stages, just be aware that they start as basal cells, and mature (differentiate), as they're doing so, passing up to a new layer of skin, until they're eventually those corneocytes i mentioned earlier. your skin has 10-30 layers of corneocytes on it making up the outer layer.

it takes these basal cells which pass upward into the prickle cell layer (the next layer up, #4 we'll call it) 14 days to mature into corneocytes, and reach the stratum corneum. from the bottom initial layer of corneocytes (remember, there's 10-30 layers of these), to being successfully sloughed off and shed, it takes another 14 days. and obviously, not every cell is replaced at once - total epidermal renewal time (not counting hyperpigmentation, and scarring, topics for another day) is 52-75 days. you're talking about not even 30 days into the cycle since you've introduced benzoyl peroxide. benzoyl peroxide reduces the size of corneocytes, the frequency they appear, especially in follicles - in order to impact all current epidermal cells as soon as they hit the corneocyte stage, you're looking at 38-61 days - it takes time. you're very early on, you're going to hit some bumps (bad pun). this is why i recommend people stick with the regimen at least 8 weeks before they make changes to it (i dont know what dan recommends - probably even longer).

good luck.

So, in two weeks, I am going to look terrific? Looking forward to that. Whenever, I wash my face, I feel my skin coming off or is it the reminants of the bp? I am so A.D.D. that I can not stick to anything to long and if I do not see results or I start to reverse, then I stop. I am sure I have not cleared up because I have not stayed with the same regimen long enough. What products do you use (anyone answer)?

Unless your really lucky it will take longer than 2 weeks it took me around 3 months but now my skin is COMPLETLEY clear i mean no acne anywhere only one or two red marks. Stick with i beg of you you may feel discouraged but it will work out in the end.

i have now been on the regimen for 2 months and my skin looks fantastic. i haven't gotten any new pimples in a while, and my red marks are fading fast. i still continue with the same dosage of BP and everything else. my advice would be to definitely stick with it, and don't get lazy about it... by that i mean, stick with the right amount of BP and let it absorb completely, being as gentle as possible.

about 15 minutes after i apply moisturzier, i spot treat my red marks with neosporin, and i must say it's made a great improvement.

Wow! Thanks everyone for all of your words of wisdom and encouragement. Don't worry, I'm planning on sticking it out for at least 3 months before I make up my mind for sure. Hearing what all of you have to say is very enlightening and helpful. I have to say that those few pimples have healed up very quickly (2 days) and my skin looks great again. I guess I'm just used to acne products making big promises and than not working. I will keep you guys updated on my progress. I would love to be another success story. Good luck to you all. biggrin.gifwink.gif