Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mysticalfan101

Finally Something is Working!

This is not a complete cure story. But I have been suffering with acne for many many years now. Mostly I would get cystic bumps and white heads on my chin. Also, I had this redness on my cheeks that always made it seem like I was on the verge of a breakout (it wasn’t very bumpy, but it wasn’t smooth either) and had gotten worse this year.

I tried oil-free creams, mineral make-ups, avoiding certain foods, burdock root capsules, the benzly regime, green tea capsules, etc. And nothing seemed to stick.

I started cutting in half a regular 300mg aspirin pill and ate it. I heard that around 150mg a day was good for inflammation. Mainly I did this b/c it might help me since I have family that has suffered from brain strokes. But I was surprised at what it did to my face in less than two weeks.

The redness on my cheeks is like 97% gone and it is so smooth, I can’t believe it. I still get small whiteheads on my chin and the cystic bumps are almost non-existent. They go away faster and heal quicker too. It has been like this for over 2 months now. I believe the chin acne is hormonal and probably will never go away completely, but it’s much less severe.

I believe that maybe the aspirin helped the inflammation on my skin and liver. I do things pretty normal. I take the aspirin about 4 or 5 times a week. I still take the green tea capsule (1 or 2 daily) for it’s anti-oxidant properties and sometimes the burdock root. I take zinc sometimes for faster healing. I use the regular Cetaphil face cleanser and many times I mix it with baking soda since I heard that’s it’s a very gentle exfoliant. Sometimes I use a bit of salycic acid cleanser, but I think it’s too irritating.

That’s all I can think of for now. If the acne gets worse or the redness returns, I will come back and post about that (hopefully not). I’ll be checking this thread for a couple of weeks in case someone has any questions. I hope this helps someone out. I think it’s important to be gentle with your skin and not use harsh products on it.

hmmm i was considering taking some Aspirin yesterday as my dad just bought some as he is going to start taking it regularly to reduce his chances of heart attack as it runs in his family.

Sounds interesting and i might try taking a couple of tables a week, will that do me any harm?? supposed to be good in moderation right?

Mysticalfan101, give us an update, how is it going with the aspirin pills?..I my self have taken them the last 2 days...will update iff i see any difference

Well like I said it's been going good for 2 months. I was concerned about the aspirin too, but I only take 1/2 a regular aspirin per day. Usually I take it for 2 or days straight and then I skip a day (more or less). I guess you can take 2 Baby aspirins. I'm not totally consistent. I usually take them with a meal so that hopefully it won't irritate my stomache.

If the bad acne/redness returns I will update on that. If everything keeps going smoothly I will not update. I just wanted to tell people that. I've seen people get a cure and they have never returned, lol. So once again, if I'm not updating, it means stuff is going good. But if I get that acne/redness back, I'll be back here also and I'll update.

They have special low dose aspirin for people that want to control inflammation with daily doses, that that posters dad. It's the same price if you took equal doses but each serving is a little less than a regular aspirin.

hmm is it bad to take on a dialy bases? will u get tolerent to it?

I have been exploring the inflamation part of acne and I really would not take aspirin everyday because it fuks up with your stomach and intestines linings.....although it is a strong anti inflamatory agent, you shouldnt use it...I read things about inflamation and it seems that COX-2 is responsible for inflamation so blocking this can help ...so i tried to find some natural form of COX-2 inhibitor but I don't think the natural things work as good as aspirin.

hey, I have the same symptoms as you and i am considering this. What kind of aspirn do u use? Or is there one type (I've never really taken it)? Also, is this safe? If you are fine after two months i would think thaqt it would be. But couldn't it have long term affects?

Check w/ your doctor if you are taking aspirin daily. Yes, aspirin and similar medicines can relieve inflammation and therefore somewhat camaflauge acne. But it isn't going to stop zits from coming up. Recent study indicated cold-turkey withdrawal of aspirin therapy in at-risk patients increased risk of stroke & heart attack. So not advisable to start & stop aspirin therapy on a whim! So, self medicating even with half an asprin, should be checked w/ your Dr.

I don't know how it will effect acne, but taking a small dose of aspirin a day is highly recommended. It's supposed to greatly help the heart if you take it regularly over time. I'm reading a book called "You, an Owner's Manual". Yes, it was on Oprah...

But yeah, since aspirin is very acidic, it can disrupt the protective lining of the stomache. It's recommended not to take if you have an ulcer and can reduce the side effects by drinking a half glass of warm water before and after taking the pill.

The recommended daily dose is half a regular aspirin (or 162 milligrams).

A little bit of an update.... since the first time I was wrote this post, I was kinda slacking on the aspirin. I didn't take it as often and the redness and slight small bumps started coming back. So, I took it for 4 days straight and I cleared up again.

Yeah, I have been thinking about the consequences to my stomache and I am concerned about that over a long term period. I guess I'm not sure what to do with this. If I stop I'm pretty sure it'll come back. I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing now. I'm planning on taking it two days in a row and then 5 days of no asprin. I'm going to try to cut down to 2 per week. I'll need a few months to see how that will go and hopefully I'll update in a few months.

DONT TAKE ASPIRIN!!!! IS GONN FUK YOU UP.. Right now i have been getting a lot of good anti-inflamation by drinking 4 tablespoons of olive oil and trying to avoid all saturated, hydronated and omega 6 fatty acids...becayse they are the ones that create inflamation.

some women in sweden are ordinated to take one pill a day á 500mg...if u take a aspirin, do it after that u have eaten a meal

Guest Nblx

Any anti-inflammatory will work, eg ibuprofen, or natural aloe vera, or topical Tea Tree Oil. So you could try others with better safety if you are concerned about that. Using topical anti-inflammatories maybe safer rather than ingesting it where theres a choice such as in aloe. However you maybe allergic to an anti-inflammatory which may cause the opposite effect.

Even though the aspirin is relieving the inflammation, something else is causing it. We take aspirin for continual toothache but in the end a dentist has to sort it out.

Your environment is causing the inflammation, be it stress (eg anxiety,depression), diet (eg gluten,lactose intolerance), or chemicals (eg SLS, fluoride). So even whilst using an anti-inflammatory make sure your diet is healthy, with plenty of water, fruit, veg, lean protein, fish, nuts, gentle exercise and make sure your body/hair/dental care products are as natural as possible. Check every now and then to see if you can come off the anti-inflammatory.

In fact your symptoms are very much like perioral dermatits (POD, acne like inflammation around chin and mouth). Brush only with baking soda (also use it as a mouthwash) for 2 weeks and see if there is improvement. Switch to an SLS free shampoo such as JASON Aloe Vera shampoo and only use water on face or a little bit of the shampoo. If skin is dry after washing use a natural like JASON 98% aloe vera gel on dry areas. Use an electric shaver or wet shave with a natural shaving cream that is chemical free. If you found all the creams etc made your skin worse this points even more to POD.

Less is more with POD as I have found.

(I have 'owt to do with JASON BTW its just what I like to use, and maybe there are better alternatives on price, less ingredients etc. In fact let me know if there is anyone.)

There are DEFINATELY other options here.

Guggulipids

Zinc (+ B6)

Niacin

Nicomide (high dose prescription Niacin w/Zinc, Folic Acid, & Copper)

Green Tea, Red Tea, White Tea

Blueberries

Omega 3s , Fish Oil, Neptune Krill Oil

Basically anything that is a powerful antioxidant will also help decrease inflammaiton i.e. ALA or K-RALA, Ginger, Tumeric/Curcumin

Aspirin is dangerous because, in addition to being a mild anti-inflammatory, it is:

* A blood thinner. This is why it helps SOME people with heart or stroke disposition. If you don't have the specific problem, thinning your blood regularly isn't good. Especially if you wind up in an accident, etc.

* Recent study has shown that if you take aspirin daily and then cut cold turkey, heart and stroke disposition can GET WORSE.

* Stomach irritant. Can lead to ulcer type problems in your stomach / digestive system. Can be irreversable.

THANK YOU to SweetJade1980 and NLBX for listing OTHER anti-inflammatories! In other words, you can get the same anti-inflammatory results from other, safer means! I would add to that list: AN ICE CUBE

If you are benefiting from aspirin or some other anti-inflammatory step in your regimen but want to not have to actually injest something: Right after your gentle wash, take an ice cube and GENTLY stroke it over your face. Apply it directly to any swollen zits, or zits that you can "feel" forming under the skin. Your skin will be red right after applying the ice and then, in less than an hour, will look much better. Do this every day and after a few days you will not be cured, will not look perfect, but will look much better. At any rate, at least as better as the aspirin or other more dangerous anti-inflammatories are making you look. (DON'T apply it directly to broken or "oozing" skin or you will spread bacteria - Just skip those parts!)

As has also already been said here (WHYYYYYY don't people read the whole post?) adding anti-inflammatories such as ice does NOT cure acne. It simply camoflauges the problem somewhat. But, as you are getting other treatment, waiting for stuff to kick in, trying to figure it out, or just want to look good for an important event, a little ice on the face every day (right after your morning and/or evening wash) will help.