Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clint06

Best way to have good healing after stitches??

I cut my lip the other day at 2 in them morning...went to the ER to have 5 small stitches put in. The Dr. actually did a good job and now I have the wound covered in neosporin ointment. I get them removed in 3 days and was wondering if I should use vitamin E on the cut and or something? Any suggestions? I may go back to see a Dr to have it smoothed out if I have to/peeled etc.... Thank you!

In my experience lips heal pretty well. IF the cut is in the direction of your natural lip lines, or if it runs along the edge of your lip, hopefully it won't be too visible once healed.

I cut my lip once and had 2 stitches. The cut was vertical and somewhat curved. The scar's not noticeable now unless I stretch the lip skin and look for it. It showed a little at first due to the curve, but blended in more as it continued to heal. Also, a friend of mine had the corner of his lip damaged in a fireworks accident. He had very fine sutures put in by a Plastic surgeon and it healed really well.

Both my friend and I were told to protect the skin from the sun for a period of time after the injury. After the stitches came out, he used zinc oxide. I used one of those sunscreens in a stick (emollient and protective), and reapplied frequently.

Good luck!

I agree - don't worry too much about the healing. I had 5 stitches in my lip a couple of years ago and I can barely notice the scar now.

I was actually hoping for it to be a bit more noticeable! I thought a linear scar on my lip would look cool (unlike acne scarring).