Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
depressedj

My Needling Story

As some of you may know, I just underwent needling yesterday in hopes of reducing my acne scarring. The needled areas are pretty extensive...I got both cheeks needled and my forehead. I didn't realize I'd look this gruesome after the procedure, but nonetheless, I am happy with my decision to have it done. I return to work Tuesday. I don't really know what to tell ppl when the ask. However, since I'll only be working there till the end of July, I don't really care too much. Goodness, the whole experience was terrible, though. The day I had yesterday was unreal. My appt was supposed to be at 11:30am. I live about 1.5 hours away from the tattoo parlor. When I finally arrived, I gave the tattooist a call to tell her I'll be in and she tells me that she's gonna have to reschedule because she needs to pick her daughter. Apparently her ex-husband had an emergency and couldn't pick her up. I was so mad. I took three days off from work to have the procedure done. She finally found an opening around 7:30pm. So I drove back home (another 1.5 hours) in my crappy '94 Chevy Corsica and on the way back, I heard some funny noises coming from underneath the hood. So I called my mom up at work and asked if I go to her workplace and switch cars. She finally agreed but didn't want me to leave the old, ratty car at her workplace 'cause she is embarrassed of it or something. She said she'd catch a ride from her friend. So my sister and I are driving to my mom's workplace to pick up her car and drive it back home so I could go to my appt in the evening. Well, on the way home, my car overheated and basically broke down and my sister got into a small accident in my mom's car. It was hell. I had to pull over into a gas station and wait 45 mins for the car to cool down before I could remove the coolant cap 'cause there is the possibility of explosion if one removes the cap while the engine is still hot. So I'm waiting in the HOT car (the temp here yesterday was about 100 degrees--the hottest day of the year) with no A/C and waiting for time to slowly pass. Finally, after the engine cooled down enough, I put more coolant in the tank and hoped that the car would run OK. Boy, was I mistaken. About two minutes after filling the coolant tank and starting my car, the temp gauge on the dashboard started to move towards the "H". Smoke was coming from the hood and steam was coming in from the A/C vents. The inside of the car was literally all steamed up. It was so hot in there I thought the engine was going to explode. Luckily, I was close to my uncle's house and after about twenty minutes of stop-and-go driving, I finally was able to get there. I left the car there. Meanwhile, while all of this was going on, my sister was pulling out a police report for the hit-and-run. Some jerk hi her from the back and just sped off. My dad, who lives out-of-state for work, was very opposed to those whole "scar treatment" procedure I told him I was gonna have done. He basically told me that I couldn't have it done and I'm worrying too much about my face. He told my sister to drive my mother's car home and not let me use it. Ugh, it was so frustrating. After a lot of screaming (from both parties) I finally was able to take the car and have the procedure done. This was about 6pm. After washing all of the accumulated sweat off of my face, I hurriedly left for the tattoo parlor. I left at about 6:30pm. I drove literally 95+ miles on the highway (not a smart thing to do) to get there on time, as I was told the parlor would close at 8pm if I was not there by then. I told both of my parents (the morning of the procedure that I was gonna have a scar revision procedure done, but I really never explained the nature of the procedure as they would have probably flipped if they knew I was gonna have needles stuck all over my face. When I got home around 10:00pm, my sisters and mom were in shock by the gruesomeness of my face. They were really taken back. My mom asked why I did this to myself and started sobbing (she cries a lot for a lot of trivial things). I think they all think I'm crazy. My father calls me this morning and asks what's wrong with me and accuses me of being in a cult and says it's my fault my sister was hit from behind. See, I'm also dieting/cleansing myself of Candida overgrowth and have to eat VERY selectively and have to practice bowel cleansing (i.e., enemas). Everyone in my family thinks all of this is soo strange and cult-like for some reason. I try to explain my ailments to them and the reasons I'm doing what I'm doing but hey don't understand. I also explained to them how the needling procedure works, but they don't really care. They can't look past my bloody, beet-colored face to understand the long-term results and effects it'll have on me. I wasn't really expecting them to understand, but I didn't really expect them to be shun me this much and be this unsupportive. I've always been pretty solitary so their adverse reactions don’t bother me too much, but my dad's marred image of me kinda does bother me. It's OK, though. Life goes on. Hopefully with time, they'll see that I'm only interested in attaining better health and well-being. Well, that is my story. I hope all of you are doing well.

P.S. I do have pictures of my scarring before the procedure as well as right after the procedure. I will post those in a few weeks after my skin starts to heal. Take care, all

That's a rather long post. Dawg, I feel for you. Scars suck big time. My impression of needling is that it's a crude form of Fraxel, which uses lots of small lasers to produce a needle like pattern. It's also my impression that needling doensn't work well or give lasting results after the swelling goes down.

For ice picks, go for punch floats. For certain depressed areas where there was loss of tissue due to large cystic nodular acne, then filler like bio-alcamid can help. Best of luck.

I applaud you depressedj for persevering during such adversity from the people that you care about the most while trying to get healthy. I'm in the same boat as you because I'm trying to get healthy as well and my family thinks i'm becoming extreme about it. Also I had a lot of conflict with my choice to treat my scars. But with much resistant, they finally accept my decision to treat my scars. I know how it feels when no one supports you, i believe you're on the right track. I think I've seen you on Shelley's forum before. Anyways you have my support! Take care.

Depressedj,

:::hugs:::

What a story! But I'm glad you actually had the needling procedure done. I am scheduled for needling at Transitions in a few weeks and am very excited about this. Overall, my family is supportive about the skin stuff, but every now and then, they can be totally ignorant and unaccepting of this all. Anyway, good luck! Keep your head up.

I had a needling done at Transitions on June 16th. I had both the hand tool and the tattoo machine used. I was really red the first 4-5 days and pink in the heavy hit areas thereafter. I am still a bit pink at post 12 days, but only in the large areas done. It is by no means unsightly now - just looks like a mild sunburn.

My results so far are good, and at the very least, my skin is smoother. I guess it takes 2-3 months to see the results and sometimes you need 2-4 treatments to get really good results. I am going to wait the 3 months, and then evaluate, but again for now my rolling scars and box scars are better and smoother. I figured this was an inexpensive treatment with relatively little down time and I have heard of many people getting good results.

Depresseddj, I hope your healing is going well. In a week you should be much better, just make SURE you keep the area moist with antibiotic gel for the first few days, then apply a moistureizer every few hours for the next couple weeks. It really helps speed up the healing process. If you live anywhere Near NYC or Transitions is a good place to go.

hi, can you pls post some of your pics fr the needling sesssion. i'm going to frank for a session and would like to know how long it took your skin to recover back to normal. thx.

As some of you may know, I just underwent needling yesterday in hopes of reducing my acne scarring. The needled areas are pretty extensive...I got both cheeks needled and my forehead. I didn't realize I'd look this gruesome after the procedure, but nonetheless, I am happy with my decision to have it done. I return to work Tuesday. I don't really know what to tell ppl when the ask. However, since I'll only be working there till the end of July, I don't really care too much. Goodness, the whole experience was terrible, though. The day I had yesterday was unreal. My appt was supposed to be at 11:30am. I live about 1.5 hours away from the tattoo parlor. When I finally arrived, I gave the tattooist a call to tell her I'll be in and she tells me that she's gonna have to reschedule because she needs to pick her daughter. Apparently her ex-husband had an emergency and couldn't pick her up. I was so mad. I took three days off from work to have the procedure done. She finally found an opening around 7:30pm. So I drove back home (another 1.5 hours) in my crappy '94 Chevy Corsica and on the way back, I heard some funny noises coming from underneath the hood. So I called my mom up at work and asked if I go to her workplace and switch cars. She finally agreed but didn't want me to leave the old, ratty car at her workplace 'cause she is embarrassed of it or something. She said she'd catch a ride from her friend. So my sister and I are driving to my mom's workplace to pick up her car and drive it back home so I could go to my appt in the evening. Well, on the way home, my car overheated and basically broke down and my sister got into a small accident in my mom's car. It was hell. I had to pull over into a gas station and wait 45 mins for the car to cool down before I could remove the coolant cap 'cause there is the possibility of explosion if one removes the cap while the engine is still hot. So I'm waiting in the HOT car (the temp here yesterday was about 100 degrees--the hottest day of the year) with no A/C and waiting for time to slowly pass. Finally, after the engine cooled down enough, I put more coolant in the tank and hoped that the car would run OK. Boy, was I mistaken. About two minutes after filling the coolant tank and starting my car, the temp gauge on the dashboard started to move towards the "H". Smoke was coming from the hood and steam was coming in from the A/C vents. The inside of the car was literally all steamed up. It was so hot in there I thought the engine was going to explode. Luckily, I was close to my uncle's house and after about twenty minutes of stop-and-go driving, I finally was able to get there. I left the car there. Meanwhile, while all of this was going on, my sister was pulling out a police report for the hit-and-run. Some jerk hi her from the back and just sped off. My dad, who lives out-of-state for work, was very opposed to those whole "scar treatment" procedure I told him I was gonna have done. He basically told me that I couldn't have it done and I'm worrying too much about my face. He told my sister to drive my mother's car home and not let me use it. Ugh, it was so frustrating. After a lot of screaming (from both parties) I finally was able to take the car and have the procedure done. This was about 6pm. After washing all of the accumulated sweat off of my face, I hurriedly left for the tattoo parlor. I left at about 6:30pm. I drove literally 95+ miles on the highway (not a smart thing to do) to get there on time, as I was told the parlor would close at 8pm if I was not there by then. I told both of my parents (the morning of the procedure that I was gonna have a scar revision procedure done, but I really never explained the nature of the procedure as they would have probably flipped if they knew I was gonna have needles stuck all over my face. When I got home around 10:00pm, my sisters and mom were in shock by the gruesomeness of my face. They were really taken back. My mom asked why I did this to myself and started sobbing (she cries a lot for a lot of trivial things). I think they all think I'm crazy. My father calls me this morning and asks what's wrong with me and accuses me of being in a cult and says it's my fault my sister was hit from behind. See, I'm also dieting/cleansing myself of Candida overgrowth and have to eat VERY selectively and have to practice bowel cleansing (i.e., enemas). Everyone in my family thinks all of this is soo strange and cult-like for some reason. I try to explain my ailments to them and the reasons I'm doing what I'm doing but hey don't understand. I also explained to them how the needling procedure works, but they don't really care. They can't look past my bloody, beet-colored face to understand the long-term results and effects it'll have on me. I wasn't really expecting them to understand, but I didn't really expect them to be shun me this much and be this unsupportive. I've always been pretty solitary so their adverse reactions don’t bother me too much, but my dad's marred image of me kinda does bother me. It's OK, though. Life goes on. Hopefully with time, they'll see that I'm only interested in attaining better health and well-being. Well, that is my story. I hope all of you are doing well.

P.S. I do have pictures of my scarring before the procedure as well as right after the procedure. I will post those in a few weeks after my skin starts to heal. Take care, all

Hi. I hope you won't be depressed for too long. I had needling done on Monday (today is Thursday I think - what would I know? I've been hiding in the house ever since the procedure). This is my 2nd time (first time at the beginning of January) and I had excellent results from the 1st treatment. After this one, I don't think I'll need another one...

I totally sympathize with you about the family stuff - although I'm married, all my family (including my husband) think I'm obsessed with my face and always say "you can't even see your scars!" - HA! That's just so I'll be quiet and they won't have to worry about me spending too much money and time on my face.

I've been upset since I was a teenager about the scars on my face and I've tried EVERYTHING - even that hideous CO2 laser, IPL, microdermabasion - they works! After the laser one friend said I looked as though I put my head in an oven! Well, like you, I've got a ton of red marks all over my face from the needling but trust me, they disappear pretty quickly. By the time you go back to work you'll be able to cover them up (there will only be a little redness left) - there are some great coverup makeups available at the drug stores and they worked perfectly for me. When I went back to work no-one even noticed my face.

I'm back at University and attend classes next week and am sure my needle marks will have faded enough to cover them.

Take heart and don't listen to all the negativity around you - I think maybe it makes people uncomfortable when we try to take care of ourselves - maybe it makes them think they should be doing more for themselves, like doing a cleanse or something. By the way, I'm starting a herbal detox today just because I think it's a good thing to do a couple of times a year.

Anyway, try to be positive - I bet you'll be happy afterwards. But remember, it takes several months for the collagen to build up so don't expect instant results.

Cheers.

Ashie.

the bruising will go, the marks will go and when it heals your family will be impressed with the improvement.

i think its great you've gone ahead despite lack of support but when it's fixed they'll be suprised and realise you were right.

best of luck

Yer i had somee needling done a couple of times.. i always invite some of my friends into the procedure room.. i want them to know what im doing and its always good to be able to talk to your friends about these things.. so they can understand how much it actually does our heads in.

I was also a little freaked out when the doc started to poke my fake like dartanian over and over again.

I was thinking "i rekon this is going to destroy me" , though all that happened is i swelled somewhat and from what i know there was no additional scaring... but really who knows.. cause it takes time for scars to appear it hard to tell if the scars we have now are from previous treatments or that the scars are just 'late bloomers'.

Anyhow, my folks dont like my doc either, they often call him evil.. my mum actually says "if i see him ill kills him, i hate him, i hate him, hes no good, you dont need to do anything, ohhh im getting made i dont like him, he said youd get X improvments... yer over how many treatments? over how many years!" .. my response "he will resurect me in time, leave him alone, at least i have hope".

So dont worry man there are others our there that are going through the same thing as you.

cheers.