Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DaveKlein

Pls read if you have had Accutane on the NHS

I have my first derm appointment on July 2nd. I've been on antibiotics before, and they have stopped working. I'm guessing since I get cycsts the derm will put me on Accutane.

Im worried becuase I'm planning an 8 week trip to europe leaving around the 13th July. Will this stop them giving me Acccutane becuase of the blood tests needed etc?

Thanks for any help.

edit/

Basicallly, for people who have taken it, would you have had to see the doctor again within weeks 2-9 of you being on the drug, and if so, do you think that is acoidable? May i be able to get away with an appointment one week into the course, and then nothing whist i am abroad?

well i went an he sed i cud hav it so i went 2 the doc the next day an did my blood test an picked up teh accutane at the same time an i didnt hav 2 go back to the derm 4 like 2 months but i think i had a crap derm so u mite hav a good 1, if he moves really slow an annoyingly an he is in blackpool then its the same 1!

If i was you, i'd just wait until i got back from Europe to start the treatment. The side effects could make your trip pretty uncomfortable, and you should be getting blood tests during those 8 weeks. I'm not sure what guidelines NHS follows, but in the US an Accutane presciption is only good for a 30 day supply, no refills - the derm has to write you a new prescription every 30 days. So i don't think you'd be able to get an 8 week supply for your vacation anyway.

If i was you, i'd just wait until i got back from Europe to start the treatment.  The side effects could make your trip pretty uncomfortable, and you should be getting blood tests during those 8 weeks.  I'm not sure what guidelines NHS follows, but in the US an Accutane presciption is only good for a 30 day supply, no refills - the derm has to write you a new prescription every 30 days.  So i don't think you'd be able to get an 8 week supply for your vacation anyway.

thanks for that, as I suspected. Anyway we will see what happenes. Best scenario is that they can give me somethign that will clear up my skin temporarily while I am away and then put me on accutane as soon as i get back.

Depends on how healthy you are. I'm in pretty good shape, and my doc only made me do like two blood tests the whole time. Guess it depends on your derm too, but I think still getting the Tane is a possiblilty.

I am going to Australia tomorrow, and my derm gave it to me. I had a blood test 11 days ago, and am scheduled for one on the 16th of July when I get back from Fiji. He told me to just eat healthy and avoid too much sun.