Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
I Hate Me

Does make-up make your acne worse?

I've been ready alot about people using make-up to conceal their acne. I was wondering if using make-up makes your acne worse....Weird sentence there wacko.gif . Anyways, does it?

Please reply! Thanks for your time. wink.gif

I try to wear as little make us as possible, i dont wear foundation or powder as i feel that its clogging my pores, sometimes i wear bronzer on my cheeks but i dont get acne there ever so i dont mind putting it here.

If i use concealor which is usually do then i use Clinique Airbrush concealor which is really light, if my skin is terrible i just tend to stay in the couple of days that its red raw and sore and hide away as i hate wearing make up i really feel like its clogging me up, but whether it is or not i dont know. I dont think that putting it on ur face can be good for you but i really admire the girls that can go out without wearing any and still feel confident.

Before I was on accutane, I don't think makeup had anything to do with making my skin worse. If anything, it made it better- or at leat made me feel better. But I guess it depends on the makeup, and the individual person's acne!

Guest TylerD

I use Merle Norman and Mary Kay and my skin is perfectly fine i mean as far as the makeup goes. It doesnt make me break out. Just depends what you get. Cheap shit you might have a good chance of breaking out.

I think make up clog my pores. I really think it does, so I try to stay away from using make up as much as possible.

However, I will try to use a tinted moisturisr to cover my marks or concealor for the raw red marks.

Worst, I will just stay home for at leat 2 weeks for the pimples or marks to die down.. *sigh*

My foundation doesn't clog my pores or cause breakouts. But I decided not to wear any make-up - when I had about a week completely at home! And my skin did have a better look to it, bear in mind I don't have any actual spots, but the way it was looking was better. So I say, if you have a day at home, try not to wear make-up.

I've been ready alot about people using make-up to conceal their acne. I was wondering if using make-up makes your acne worse....Weird sentence there  wacko.gif . Anyways, does it?

Please reply! Thanks for your time.  wink.gif

Seriusly you guys, I was just thinking abt how make up can either make yr skin better/worse!

I believe it depends a lot on the individual. I for one is not into make up. I think it contributes to the clogging of pores & worse more acne.

However, my skin hv been terrible lately & going out of the house seem to be a very HUGE task as I hv tons of marks on my face. Not to mention those damn clog pores..I hv been trying so hard not to put any make up on me but I find that its getting harder ea day. Going out from the house looking so terrible & getting stares from ppl is making it so hard. Not to mention my self esteem is going lower ea day.

It seems as if 99% of all foundations are non-comedogenic...meaing they won't break you out.

I've been wearing it for at least 7 years now and I haven't noticed any correlation between my breakouts and the foundation I wear. It's mostly due to hormones. However, if I wear an oily foundation and leave it on too long, I'll have minor breakouts..nothing big. I usually try to only wear it when I work and once I get home, I take it off. If i don't, my face gets too oily and that's what breaks me out.

Assuming a product won't cause break-outs just because it says non-comedegenic can be dangerous. All non-comedegenic really means is that it doesn't contain a generic list of pore clogging ingredients. The make-up may be ok for some people, but not everyone.

I have oily skin and learned the hard way that I shouldn't wear liquid make-up of any kind. The reason is that it's heavy molecules, and whatever binds them together does not allow my skin to breathe, and it becomes congested, contributing to blackheads. Although it didn't cause larger inflamed pimples, my skin could never be completely clear when I wore it because of the congestion and blackheads....I stick to loose powder now.

I know what u mean..I had that problem a few times where it aggravated my acne. But like rob0t said, I use cheap makeup. I use the Loreal True Match super-blendable stuff. It doesnt make ur acne worse at all, and hides redness very well. Also, that brand comes in many different shades so u will most likely find a good one for ur skin color. I personally have to use the lightest one they have which is porcelain cuz im pasty white lol. It was hard for me to find a brand with the perfect light color for me, but this worked out gr8. Also, its only like $9.99 so its a good buy when a lot of concealers are overpriced.

studies in dermatology have shown that substances applied to the skin do not necessarily affect your complexion whatsoever.

thick oily creams were applied to test subjects' skin and no increase of acne production followed.

acne works from the inside out. what you put into your body affects it more than anything else.

(all information given to me by my doctor.)

this is kinda off the track a tad, but on the make-up topic. I have dark circles under my eyes not really bad, but enough to make ppl say i look tired if i dont put foundation on them. i read on this site somewhere that emu oil helps dark circkes and htat its also a great moisturiser, well a good natural moisturiser it is, because its a natural product it wont make u break out, but as for the dark circles they are still there and htis emu oil was guaranteed to eliminate dark circles, i have been using it for ages and still no result. So does anyone else know any product that will actually cure dark circles?, i dont simply want to cover them up with make-up i want to say good bye to them

Guest tenshigirl25

ive been without makeup about 4 weeks now and my skin never looked better. it feels so good not to have any on, and throughout the day u can wipe your face or splash water on it. Its really hard at 1st and u think everybody is looking at u and truthfully somtimes they are but as the weeks pass Ive noticed my skin has felt more free and fresh looking, pimples are disappearing and my skin looks better with out all the liquid and powder.

If I go out and do have to wear makeup for a special occasion, now i notice I dont have to use as much. I have senstive skin so the less I put on my face the better it gets. I think makeup is a must for going out but for most days i have felt more confident without it, i feel more like myself and not trying to cover up for other peoples sake. It took a long time for me ot realise that and to stop wearing makeup.

i use neutrogena,and almay. they work great! skin clearing makeup is the best! oil free and non-cosmogenic! oh and mary kay work very well too. dont be afraid to comeout and show your face! if you are use a little coverup and your a-ok!

I don't see anything wrong with using a concealor just for the spots. I've come to learn that my skin hates foundation and you can always tell that I'm wearing it. Also, when I just use a concealor, the rest of my skin is makeup free...well, except for my blush, but I don't breakout on my cheeks.

ive been without makeup about 4 weeks now and my skin never looked better. it feels so good not to have any on, and throughout the day u can wipe your face or splash water on it. Its really hard at 1st and u think everybody is looking at u and truthfully somtimes they are but as the weeks pass Ive noticed my skin has felt more free and fresh looking, pimples are disappearing and my skin looks better with out all the liquid and powder.

If I go out and do have to wear makeup for a special occasion, now i notice I dont have to use as much. I have senstive skin so the less I put on my face the better it gets. I think makeup is a must for going out but for most days i have felt more confident without it, i feel more like myself and not trying to cover up for other peoples sake. It took a long time for me ot realise that and to stop wearing makeup.

For me personally, I only wear Maybelline during Spring and Winter...My skin clears up (cause I break out during summer tanning) and evens out beautifully! By the time Apring comes I'm usually 99% clear...and I waitress! So you can imagine I sweat, and it's on all day long! I think what helped was working out before going to work getting all the impurities out of me before I started sweating at work...But it works for me!