Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Willow

Anyone read "The Acne Cure"

I was in Barnes and Noble and saw this book. Here is the overview from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

Instead of just using BP the authors outline a 4 step program using a salicylic acid face wash, glycolic acid, BP, and a mosturizer.

I was wondering if anyone read this yet and if you currently incorporate SA into the regimen?

Thanks,

Willow

i own the book, and i've been using it for about a week (i don't do dan's regimine), and so far it's REALLY helped, and although u would think so, it hasn't dried out or over-burdened my skin by using all 3 products: glycolic acid, salsylic acid, and BP.

i own the book, and i've been using it for about a week (i don't do dan's regimine), and so far it's REALLY helped, and although u would think so, it hasn't dried out or over-burdened my skin by using all 3 products: glycolic acid, salsylic acid, and BP.

If you don't mind, do you think you could list the products you use, especially the glycolic acid, on this regimine? I ordered the book, but it wont be coming for a few days, and in the meantime I'd like to order the products I will need. Thanks in advance.

For the Salsylic (spelling?) acid, i use the Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Cream Cleanser (http://neutrogena.com/ProductsDetails.asp?ID=31). For benzoyl perozide i use the Neutrogena On-The-Spot, however i have recently been prescribed BenzaClin which i now use instead. For glycolic acid, i use the Glycolix 10% Gentle Facial Cleanser (you can get it at http://www.dermatologistskincare.com/Cart/...tegory=Glycolix, however this is not the site i got it from, i don't remember where i got it). Although this cleanser does have "fragrance" listed in the ingredients, it has not cause me any problems.

This book is continuing to help me, i'm like 90% clear now, i have like 5 dying pimples left, and they aren't very noticable. And even with the products, my skin hasn't peeled AT ALL!! it does burn slightly sometimes, but no peeling and little redness.

thanks kenry52...a couple questions:

so are you basically cleansing twice in the morning? I was reading about the method on http://www.prevention.com/cda/feature2002/...80,5490,00.html , and it said "Apply the cream after you have finished using the salicylic acid. Follow the same application steps as above" so I'm guessing it doesnt really matter if you use a cleanser or cream, as long as you get the glycolic acid?

what i do it i just put some in my palm, and them put it on my face with a finger. I don't really WASH with it, i just put it on like it's a cream or something but don't rub it in, then wash it off. The glycolic acid that i use is more of a liquid, but it's still thick enough for you to just put on ur face, so no i don't think it really matters if it's a cream or not, but if you do it the way i do, try to get something with a little more viscosity than water. so in the morning, i would put the salsylic acid stuff on my face, wait a minute or two, rinse it off, put on glycolic acid stuff, rinse, and then lately because i and using BenzaClin it says to apply twice a day, so then i do that as well, but even with this extra benzoyl peroxide in the morning , i have not had much dryness at all! then after all this i of course put on an oil-free SPF moisturizer.

The glycolic acid product i use was the cheapest and only 10% i was able to find, but because of its relatively low viscosity and its fragrance (although it's not really fragrant if you smell it, and it hasn't cause me any problems), if you can find another better one, then use that instead, and let me know about it too :) .

what i do it i just put some in my palm, and them put it on my face with a finger. I don't really WASH with it, i just put it on like it's a cream or something but don't rub it in, then wash it off. The glycolic acid that i use is more of a liquid, but it's still thick enough for you to just put on ur face, so no i don't think it really matters if it's a cream or not, but if you do it the way i do, try to get something with a little more viscosity than water. so in the morning, i would put the salsylic acid stuff on my face, wait a minute or two, rinse it off, put on glycolic acid stuff, rinse, and then lately because i and using BenzaClin it says to apply twice a day, so then i do that as well, but even with this extra benzoyl peroxide in the morning , i have not had much dryness at all! then after all this i of course put on an oil-free SPF moisturizer.

The glycolic acid product i use was the cheapest and only 10% i was able to find, but because of its relatively low viscosity and its fragrance (although it's not really fragrant if you smell it, and it hasn't cause me any problems), if you can find another better one, then use that instead, and let me know about it too  :) .

ok, thanks. I think I'm going to give the 10% cream a try (the first product on http://www.dermatologistskincare.com/Cart/...C%20ACID%20AHA), although I havent been able to figure out if glycolic acid is the only active ingredient but it seems to be the case, and if not, the other active ingredient is a moisturizer which should be ok.