Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone,

I've been on Differin since December. At the time, I was also using Clindagel. However, since I can't afford to buy both at the same time (I have no insurance), I decided to keep only the Differin and try something other than Clindagel to fight bacteria. That's when I started using BP. I tried both Neutrogena and Clean & Clear, but they both irritated my skin sooooooo badly. Then, I read this article online about how a gel of 5% BP was compared to a 5% Tea Tree Oil gel. The study said that BP works faster, but both gave good results. Of course, Tea Tree Oil had far fewer side effects. So I began hunting down a gel containing Tea Tree Oil, but the only one that I found had many other ingredients too so I wasn't sure about putting it on my face. Instead, I bought pure Tea Tree Oil and mixed it 1 part Tea Tree Oil and 19 parts water to get a 5% toner. I've been using it for a week now, but it's too early for results. I feel a slight tingle on my face when I put it on, but it doesn't irritate my skin or leave it red at all. Tea Tree Oil is a natural antiseptic, so I think that people with sensitive skin like me should also give it a try. Please post if you have any experiences with Tea Tree Oil concerning acne or know of where I can find the gel. Thanks!

there are no gels that i know. they make facial cleanser, moisturizer, and toner stuff. i really like dessert essence blemish touch stick. has all kinds of good stuff in it and seems to work well. also why dilute tea tree?? 5% is kinda low. i just put the full strength stuff on my face and it didn't bother me any. i had good results with tea tree. it's just that the smell finally got to me. you know i'd be at work and have to worry if people smelled me. most people don't like the smell of tea tree(i do know some people who use it as perfume). but yeah, it worked well for me.

A clinical trial compared the topical use of 5% tea tree oil to 5% benzoyl peroxide for common acne. Although the tea tree oil was slower and less potent in its action, it had far fewer side effects and was thus considered more effective overall.

Bassett IB, Pannowitz DL, Barnetson RS. A comparative study of tea-tree oil versus benzoyl peroxide in the treatment of acne. Med J Austral 1990;53:455–8.

I have a friend that swears by tea tree, and I've used it as a spot treatment, but I've never been impressed. I do know the Body Shop does have a blemish stick w/ Teatree in in tho. Its a gel base.

Namaste'

My boyfriend hates the smell, which of course permeates the entire second floor of our apartment whenever i open the bottle. The smell mixes nicely with witch hazel somehow though.