Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
igotmyphilosophy

This is me being productive

oh, and i forgot to say, thank you verini for defending my diet. pbj's comment actually really bothered me. i don't know why. maybe because i feel like i've tried to put effort into this? i don't know, but it irritated the fudge out of me, even if his claim is reasonable.

anyways, thank you. wub.gif

DAY 68

Habits

- woke up at 11:00 AM

Cleansing

morning

night

Diet

- 11:30 AM ate 3 donuts (2 sprinkled, and 1 chocolate); ate 3 small pieces of bacon eusa_angel.gif

- 2:30 PM ate 1/2 of a chocolate donut

Supplementation

pre-breakfast pills: none

breakfast pills: none

dinner pills:

Hey, no need to get worried. I've read through most of the pages here, and it's pretty shocking that you would, for example, eat a ton of peanuts, chocolate cake, pizza, and mcdonald's all in one day! Those foods have little-to-no nutritional value (even the peanuts - that's the worst kind of nut you could eat) and are packed with saturated fats. I know you're trying to experiment, but that's incredibly unhealthy. You also don't take any supplementation consistently, so your body must be lacking in something, whatever that may be. I could point out problems in other posts, but that would take too long. I mean, in a nutshell, you are knowingly eating foods that are bad for you, which isn't wise since you know that you could be doing better.

I'm a college student myself, and neither I, nor my friends, nor anyone on campus for that matter, have any trouble avoiding bad foods. Damn, it may be that the students at my school and schools like it are smarter and take command of their health and are generally health-conscious (there are literally 0 obese persons on campus), but I can't imagine anyone eating only pizza/mcdonalds/cake in a single day. Not all of your days have been bad, but plenty of them have been lacking.

I don't know what your living situation is and whether or not you have a kitchen, but eating things like egg-whites on whole wheat bread, real oatmeal, Farina, salmon, gluten-free rice pudding with fresh fruit, etc etc would go a long, long way for your health. A box of Shop-Rite brand oatmeal costs me $1.99 and lasts for a good 2 weeks, so price shouldn't be an issue. You can also easily come up with equally healthy foods for lunch, dinner, and snacks. Supplementation wouldn't hurt either. I personally take well-formulated multi-vitamins, garlic pills, and fish oil w/ gla pills and I can tell you they are very beneficial (particularly the fish oils and GLA).

Trust me, eating well, exercising (jogging, or whatever else floats your boat), and taking command of things like classes, so that you don't have to pull all-nighters and instead manage to get normal amounts of sleep, will go a long, long way for your health, well-being, and skin smile.gif .

hey pbjtime,

i agree with what you're saying. i went through my posts, and over the past 68 days, i've eaten junk food (ANY junk food, ranging from a scoop of ice cream during the day to junk food all day long) for 37 days, which is basically half of the time. but those days i wasn't eating poorly were pretty damn clean and healthy, and i was eating lentils, quinoa, salmon, grilled chicken, turkey, brazil nuts, almonds, walnuts, a variety of vegetables and fruits, etc. etc. i DO know how to eat healthy, even though half the time it seems like i don't, but knowing what to do and actually doing it are two very different things.

although i am far from maintaining a regular diet that includes a reasonable amount of junk food, i am proud of myself for learning different foods to eat and different ways to cook. but i appreciate you saying something, because it's good to get a good swift kick in the butt sometimes. thanks. biggrin.gif

what's strange to me is that at your school people don't eat that much junkfood. i've gone to two universities, and at both there were people who would eat cheese-popcorn for a meal, completely shun veggies that weren't carrots, never eat fruits, ONLY eat meat and cheese and heavy diary products, eat deep dish pizza for days in a row, drink coke all the time, drink enough coffee to give themselves ulcers (i'm not kidding), did not sleep for 3 days in a row or regularly missed nights of sleep, and of course there was the binge drinking that gave many a 20 year old a free tour of the emergency room. and i've studied with some brilliant students, but common sense and book smarts don't always go hand in hand. i think college kids have to be the unhealthiest group of people i've ever been around. when i was at home i never ever ate as much crap as i did once i went to college. i'm really surprised to read your perspective on this b/c that has not been my experience at all.

anyways, i gtg, but let me know what you think.

later,

igmp

hey there, I stumbled on your log and i though it was really interesting. In fact, I could relate a lot to what you went thru, because honestly, I've been thru the same amount of 'attempts' to cure my acne, I've done most of what you've done, and even other things you didn't list. I've been thru accutane, antibiotics (like 4-5 types so they stay effective), and wow the list continues for like 2 pages.

Also, last summer i decided to keep a log, exactly like you are doing, for about 100 days, although it wasn't public, it kept me going and I tried to discover patterns to cure MYSELF since it was evident that no external help was going to cure me.

One year later, I've gotten my acne under control and maybe, just maybe, I feel I could speed up your process by injecting a bit of advice after reading every single page (all 8 of them) of your logs.

First of all, I want to let you know, that if you're persistant, you'll eventually get rid of your acne. Keep on trying until you succeed, and you will.

Now, a few things I've noticed (dont be offended, i'm going to be direct)

Major obstacle #1: Your mood, one of the biggest factors in dealing with my acne was actually emotional, I had to forcefully convince myself that I was good looking, that there was improvement, that I was hot, attractive, happy with myself EVEN when somehow I wasn't. I would completely force myself to be happy with my looks and to think that I looked good even though other times I would of thought otherwise. Just imagine having a serious handicap and tons of other problems, and then it makes it easier to appreciate yourself more. One of the MAJOR things with my fight with acne was that I would feel HORRIBLE when i would look at myself in the mirror. Now when I look at myself in the mirror, if I see a little bump starting to form, I just think... "hey whatever, i'm still sexy" AND THEN IT GOES AWAY. Or if it doesn't, it passes by really fast and doesn't call all it's friends.

Obstacle #2: I've noticed that you tend to eat really late, AND you eat HARD TO DIGEST foods. Ie: peperonni @ 9 pm, or eating sugar at 11pm. This is another huge factor, the whole physical aspect of my acne, and probably yours, is well your digestive system is working. You need a lot of fiber and to stop eating things that clog it up. Things that are the hardest to digest for me are red meat, breaded cakes, or anything breaded. Everything else goes down fine. And when I feel 'clogged up' I usually eat 3-5 apples in the morning, and then I DEFINATELY clear up that evening.

Obstacle 3: Candida, and/or excess sugar spikes. Now, there's a GREAT way of dealing with this that I've recently discovered. It's called Extra virgin coconut oil. Whenever I eat a lot of sugar (and i love sugar) I make sure to take straight teaspoons of coconut oil during the next day. (or even right after I ate the sugar). It really helps control all the sugar and ever since I've been doing that I haven't really had much acne due to sugar.

Recommendations: Really work on your bowels, it seems that it's one of the missing links that you're overlooking. I think if you just cleaned your bowels out really well, you'd be doing 100x better. (do whatever you have to do to clean it out!)

I saw you use cetaphil... that really aggravated my skin, the new soap I swear by is "Goat milk soap". I threw out ALL my other soaps (200$ collection of other soaps by the way) and now I ONLY use goat milk soap that I buy at the healthstore. Not only does it not leave chemicals on your face, but it hydrates my skin too, so I don't have to moisturize or anything. As I said, the only thing that touches my face is that soap, and water.

Keep it up, you'll make it. And life IS beautiful afterwards, (although I have to admit, sometimes my self-esteem is a bit lower because I previously had acne... and even though it's not there anymore, I'm STILL adjusting.) But hey, I'd rather have THAT as a problem wink.gif

Oh, and DEFINATELY keep on taking the lemon water, and the ACV, that stuff kicks ass at cleaning up your system.

ps.s. Chocolate breaks me out, mcdonalds breaks me out, red meat breaks me out. I avoid it all now and I am HAPPPYYYYYY!

ps.s.s I know this is the longest post ever (ok maybe not) but fruit smoothies kick major ass and are one of my major tools for 'clearing my bowels out'. And it tastes soooo good that I haven't craved any sweets ever since I've been drinking them.

oh, and i forgot to say, thank you verini for defending my diet. pbj's comment actually really bothered me. i don't know why. maybe because i feel like i've tried to put effort into this? i don't know, but it irritated the fudge out of me, even if his claim is reasonable.

anyways, thank you. wub.gif

although i am far from maintaining a regular diet that includes a reasonable amount of junk food, i am proud of myself for learning different foods to eat and different ways to cook. but i appreciate you saying something, because it's good to get a good swift kick in the butt sometimes. thanks. biggrin.gif

Obstacle 3: Candida, and/or excess sugar spikes. Now, there's a GREAT way of dealing with this that I've recently discovered. It's called Extra virgin coconut oil. Whenever I eat a lot of sugar (and i love sugar) I make sure to take straight teaspoons of coconut oil during the next day. (or even right after I ate the sugar). It really helps control all the sugar and ever since I've been doing that I haven't really had much acne due to sugar.

hey kaybee,

thanks very much for your great advice! i will definitely look into the extra virgin coconut oil when i'm sporting a little more bling. do you have a brand that you would recommend? and also, thanks for the tip about eating apples in the morning; i never thought of that but it sounds like it would work. also, i'll work on eating earlier; i'm going to try and wake up earlier starting this week, so hopefully that will shift everything up.

oh, and, since this is absolutely fascinating, i have noted that i am pretty regular, if you know what i mean. no? you don't? i, uh, 'dial #2 on my touch-tone phone e'ryday'; get it? no? ok, well i have regular bowel movements, so i don't *think* that's the problem. the problem is that i love eating junk food. after you cleaned your plumbing, were you able to eat like any normal, red-blooded, junk-food loving, probably obese, American? or was it the whole lifestyle change that really helped?

i think your first piece of advice was extremely valuable as well. i've come to a point where i'm like "fuck it. perfect-looking people don't have a smaller number of problems, just a different set of them." i am working on (and getting better at) realizing that i am lucky to even get to exist, and that my problems and quirks and triumphs are uniquely my own. i also think, and this sounds silly, who else could be me as good as i can? no one. exactly. thank you.

anyways, i really really appreciate you taking the time to read my log and give me advice. i will definitely incorporate it into my lifestyle.

thanks!

igmp

oh, p.s., how do you make your fruit smoothies? and what kind of diet do you eat now?

thanks x2!

pbjtime!

thanks for your input; i hope i wasn't getting too defensive earlier b/c i do appreciate your dos centavos.

wow, it's honestly really unusual for me to hear about such healthy eaters at college. isn't duke really advanced in sports? would that have anything to do with it? but either way, thanks for letting me know. did you like duke? with my unparalleled intelligence and insight, i imagine that you didn't like it as much as your current school...

you said you still have acne; how bad is it? what are you doing to treat it? is it getting better? i hope it is.

oh, and also thanks alot for the advice about planning your meals. it's something i know i should do, but, you know, don't. it sounds like a pretty manageable and realistic way to eat, so i'll definitely try it out.

it's really good to hear that a college student can manage this. i will keep that in mind during the school year.

anyways, take care and let us know how you're doing!

igmp

hey sebastien,

thanks! i pride myself on my type-a, detail-oriented, anal-retentiveness!

yeah dhouston says some funny shit. maybe i'll take up stalking him. who knows! the night is young and he hasn't come home yet!

i'm kidding. sort of.

igmp

:]

dear friends, romans, and/or countrymen:

i'm taking a vacation from this site b/c my hedonistic love affair with this forum has taken its toll on my mental and emotional state, i.e. i am not getting any work done.

so i'm going to try my damnedest to not come back until thursday. that seems realistic. (coughcoughbarelycough).

i will update then with more shenanigans and cheeky tomfoolery.

later sweathearts,

igmp

hey igmp, it looks we're on to the same thing! Did u ever read Perricone's book on inflammation and how it causes a host of skin problems? I haven't read it and his ideas are pretty out there but after this little episode w/ my face, I'm beginning to be less skeptic about him. He is however on quackwatch, but then most derms will also tell you there is no relation between diet and acne, go figure.

I find it easier to figure out what foods i can eat in moderation and not cause my blotchiness/redness, but i really need to expand my little list. I'm drinking apple juice by the cartloads, and amazingly enough I like it more now than I did before I started this thing. anyways, it's great your skin improved, just in time for school too  biggrin.gif

hey verini,

glad to hear i'm not the only emotional freak that needs to cry every now and then. biggrin.gif

no, i never really read dr. perricone's book but i seriously perused it whenever i went to barnes and noble, does that count? from what i've read, it makes sense that he classifies acne as an inflammatory disease and perscribes diet as a way to control it. he's on quackwatch? i didn't know that. maybe it's b/c he tries to sell really expensive pills and creams. i've never bought those, since they cost big money and his advice is free.

yeah, my skin's doing well. certainly not as smooth as it could be b/c i go on junk food waves, but whatever. i'll try to muster up some self-control soon. i read on glycemicindex.com that when you eat a food with a low glycemic index that it "carries over" to your next food/meal by lowering the glycemic impact of following food. neat, huh? i found it under the 8th question in the FAQ's of that site.

anyways, that's all for now. hope you're doing well!

later,

igmp

Hey, duke was a pretty good school for the most part, and I enjoyed my freshman year, but it had enough quirks here and there in terms of student-body, social life, and teaching that made me believe there were better schools and environments out there. And yes, I love my current school smile.gif

As for blemishes, I would say mine are now mild and for the most part under control. I tried a variety of products in the past, and still like to experiment, but I didn't start seeing great results until I examined my methodology at a greater depth. Gentle cleansing, bp, and moisturizer was a decent combo, but only addressed one facet of acne formation, and was only effective in the winter (moisturizer + humidity during the summer = bad bad bad). I experimented and designed a more effective regimen for myself, and also introduced and played around with higher quality products (sometimes via samples, sometimes by purchasing products that i knew were great). The end result is a routine that keeps my skin calm and smooth, and keeps acne at a minimum.

I think I may post it in a new, detailed thread somewhere, but in a nutshell, it's:

Morning

- Cleanse every day

- Exfoliate every other day or 2 days (NOT scrub)

OR scrub (at most 2x per week)

- Shave

- Tone

- Aftershave Balm

Night

- Cleanse

- Tone

- Apply Retin-A

- Apply moisturizer

The above may not be too clear, and a lot of the success lies with careful product selection. I may post a detailed regimen when I have the time, chock full of product recommendations and the like. And in case you're wondering, the results have not come only from the Retin-A but rather from the routine - I've been on Retin-A forever and it is recently after a routine change that I've seen great results.

Anyway, I eusa_clap.gif your decision to buckle down and get stuff done. Staying on top of everything and not procrastinating will put you at ease and will be great for your skin and sanity smile.gif

oh, ok, so i'm back to check up on things but i'm not going to update yet b/c i REALLY HAVE TO GO AND AM GOING TO BE LATE IF I AM ON HERE ANY LONGER PLEASESOMEONESAVEMEFROMMYPROCRASTINATINGSELF!!!

anyways, i've come to believe that my typing skills have surpassed my handwriting, which is kind of sad.

later gators,

igmp

so my friends. i am not updating today either b/c i just am not up for it right now...

but i would like to offer my sincere condolences to anyone affected by the hurricane; i am very very sorry that you are having to go through this extremely traumatic event, and i pray that you will go through these trials with strength and faith in yourselves and your fellow people. take care of one another.

love,

igmp

HELLO ACNE.ORG!

(i love all-caps; adds that unexpected awkwardness and bewilderment to any de rigueur introduction.)

anyways, i'm going to have to amend my previous statement. when i said earlier (DAY 65) that i am pretty sure that diet affects my acne, i left out a few crucial aspects of my regimen/life that also could be affecting my skin. il y'a:

1) my period. whenever i'm on my period my skin looks great, right before my period my skin looks at its worst, and in between my skin looks ok. and by the vague term "skin" what i mean is that on my period, my skin tone is the most even and the least red and right before my period, my skin gets ~4-5 whiteheads and 1-2 red, inflamed pimples.

----> this means that figuring out (and dealing with) what is the main cause of my skin's fluctuations will take alot longer than i thought because i'll need to regulate my diet for at least two months and watch my skin over two menstrual periods. sweet shiitake. that'll suck.

2) my sleep and stress levels. right now i am high on sleep and very very low on stress, but when school starts that will change (although hopefully not by too much). i know that whenever i sleep on time for a while, my skin looks its best. i'm not really sure how much stress affects my skin, but it definitely does affect it.

----> this means that i'll have another factor in my life that i'll need to closely watch.

3) the products (or lack thereof) that i'm using. i've basically stopped all lotions, cleansers, moisturizers advertised as anti-acne products and have stuck with less harsh ones. BUT i really think that controlling acne via topical methods is important, and that certain products can really help or can really hurt my skin. like scrubs in general just don't seem to be that good for me, and the same goes for any products with large concentrations of AHA or SA. but i do like I.M.A.'s mask, and i do think that moisturizing is good for my skin, even though it gives it an unholy sheen.

----> one product that seems to be working really really well is Almay Milk Plus SPF 15 lotion. it has salicylic acid and triclosan in it (but they're in the middle of the list of ingredients, so there must not be a very large concentration of these two). over the past few days i've been using it, it has greatly helped in evening my skin tone. GREATLY. it's amazing really. but the downside is that i've heard that triclosan is bad and this stuff stings my lips and my eyelids, which is just kind of creepy and off putting. i mean, i can understand stinging my eyes, but my eyelids and lips? that's weird. so i'm going to try 30nstillzits jojoba oil concoction when i have the money, and until then i'll use up the Almay product.

4) climate/geography changes. during the school year, i'm up north in the city in the cold. during the summer, i'm down south in the suburbs in the freakishly oppressive heat. how will these variables spice things up? i guess i'll find out soon.

the reason that i'm mentioning these things is that i've been eating like shit for the past two weeks (like super-shit, not just mild weenie-bad, but REALLY bad) and my skin hasn't gone to the dogs. it certainly has gotten a little bumpier, and a little redder, but is that b/c i'm off my period? (i started DAY 67; i know no one really wants to know this, but i'm telling you in the sweet sweet name of the scientific method. so you betta respeckit, bitches.) or has it not gotten that bad b/c of the almay product? or is it the culmination of all these factors that affect my skin? or what? i mean, i know these things affect my skin/health, which is why i made so many damn categories in each of my posts, but i guess now i'm realizing that these things may have a bigger affect* than i thought.... maybe?

so yes. i have no idea. i still believe that diet can help control my acne, but by how much i'm not sure.

anyways, what a fecking anti-climactic conclusion. "um, so after 2 1/2 months, i still don't know." ehh. oh well. i'm ALL ABOUT the anti-climax, and you, my friend, can take that to the bank.

LOVE,

IGMP

*i'm not sure if i'm supposed to be saying "Affect" or "Effect", but hopefully you are receiving the pictogram.

so dudes, i'm back from the dead. :D

a quick update: i stopped with the anti-acne diet because i had to go to school. i stopped this journal because i had to go to school. i stopped thinking about acne 24/7 because i had to go to school, and i stopped cloistering myself away from the world because i had to go to school.

here's what i think about things (this is long and boring):

food/diet and acne

this might be THE cause for some people's acne, but i'm not sure if it's the case with mine, and even more than that, if i even want to follow a no-bread, no-diary, no-sugar diet for life. i wasted my entire summer thinking about and trying to resolve my acne, with only minimal success (which i can attribute to other factors), so i don't think the diet route is something i'm going to try again anytime soon.

people and acne

after spending SO MUCH (somuchsomuchsomuch) time on this site, i began to think like most people on here, and if i may use some psychobabble parlance, i began to internalize the feelings of most people here. i began to think that everyone was looking at my acne, and that everyone hated me for it and was digusted by me because of it, and that my looks, my skin were the basis of the world's judgement, and subsequent rejection, of me. i began to mentally freak out whenever i had to sit on buses next to people or ride in full elevators, and i remember wanting to cry for every second of those terrible few minutes. i will not forget those feelings, and although i still feel less valuable than my clear-skinned peers, i suspect this is just how most people think and that low self-esteem is just a part of human nature and growth. so whatever, only time and a growing mind can change that.

anyways, i know that a lot of people on this site (and outside of this site) have been treated poorly because of their skin or their looks and i am very sorry that you had to go through that, because i can only imagine how hurtful that would be.

however, i realized that for myself, most people didn't (outwardly) care if i was chubby, hairy and had bad skin. people, generally, are all still nice to me, and want to talk with me, and care about what i think and who i am. they may not think i am the the prettiest crayon in the crayola box, but i am still cared for, so that's good. i think that most people just don't care about acne or skin to the unholy extent that i do, and that most people have different ideas of beauty and different standards of attractiveness.

when my acne was at its worst, i had the most friends and was the most social and optimistic. but when my acne is only a fraction of what it once was, i was withdrawn, miserable, insecure and hopeless. i think that niether of these mental situations had anything to do with acne; i was just happy with myself and my accomplishments, so i was happy in spite of severe acne. when i was frustrated with myself and my self-control, i was unhappy and found that my acne was the easiest thing to blame and fixate on.

blah, blah, blah, bottom line: you can be unattractive and still have people want to be your friend and think that you are pretty. you can be unattractive and still have a happy outlook on the world and have fun and be confident. people are attracted to good looks, but they stick to good personalities, and it is absolutely stupid to think otherwise.

my skin right now:

ain't so bad. i realize that the two major factors for my skin are 1) what i do (or don't do) to it, and 2) my period.

about a month and a half ago i just quit with all the masks and cleansers, and just washed my face with whatever whenever (so i washed it with purpose or aubrey's sensitive skin lotion every 2 days give or take) and put on jojoba oil, and was done with it. my skin didn't get oily at ALL, and didn't get redder than normal.

when i am nearing my period i break out more than usual. it sucks, but that is the problem and i will find a way to deal with it.

my skin now is NOT great, or even good. still kinda discolored, still have redmarks galore, still have pores large enough to use as winter storage, but b/c i've left it alone, i break out that much less.

i am still considering accutane because everything i get now is starting to scar, and i think that if i go on it now, at age 21, i will get a long-term remission/dormancy from acne, and that is very tempting. but i'm still thinking about it

-----------

anyways, i hope no one missed me too much. i had a good semester at school, and am happier now than i was during the summer and other school years, so that's good. i wasn't able to come back to this site or post too often because i had too much work to do, but i always thought to myself that once i get completely clear that i would come back and let everyone know how i did it.

i hope everyone is doing well, and is happy and that you all have a great holiday and a beautiful new years.

LOVE!

igmp

OH!

side note:

whenever i wax philosophical on how i think the world works, i don't really mean it as an "i-feel-this-so-everyone-else-should-feel-this" way because i know that feeling good about yourself sometimes takes a while.

the end.

About diet. The one dietary thing I've noticed as well is sugar. If I eat a ton of sweets for a couple of days straight, I break out. I know the current buzz for the derm industry is that diet doesn't matter. That's a load of shit. Oh and I don't often eat chocolate, so it's not a chocolate specific thing as far as I can tell.

OH!

side note:

whenever i wax philosophical on how i think the world works, i don't really mean it as an "i-feel-this-so-everyone-else-should-feel-this" way because i know that feeling good about yourself sometimes takes a while.

the end.

:dance::clap:

hey igmp I read EVERYTHING .......well I lie almost =) glad to see you did well in school........hmm I have one more final and paper due then im done for a couple weeks yay

anyway glad your doing good as good can be for you anywayz

Good luck! don't b a stranger ;)

well dudes, i'm going to start accutane tomorrow. i went to the dermatologist, and although my skin is the best it has been in a year*,the derm was pretty liberal with the accutane and he gave me a prescription for it, 80 mgs a day (i weigh a chubby 150 lbs). the pharmacy only had a generic brand, claravis by borr laboratories, which kind of pissed me off because they only let me know AFTER i came to pick the medecine up but whatever, the derm said it was fine.

oh, and btw, i LOVE my derm! he's so old and nice and funny!

i need to take a break from this place so i won't post here often, but i'll update in a month or two and let everyone know how it's going and what i'm doing to help my body along.

talk to you later, and have a great christmas and a beautiful new year!

igmp

*a year ago i attempted the regimen; that made my skin VERY red and dry and sensitive. i then fucked up my skin with a hundred different things, and then tried the diet route, as shown by this very log. after all that, i quit with the epidermal harrassment and just washed with purpose cleanser and moisturized with jojoba oil, and my skin improved greatly.

dudes et dudettes,

so everything here is going well. just have a quick (and gross) accutane story to share with you:

i went to get my blood drawn and the lady said to take the band-aid off after 1/2 an hour, but i forgot and 5 hours later i took it off aaaaaaaaannnnddddd

it ripped skin off!

i know you all can relate; can i get an amen?

[amen!]

ok, later!

igmp