Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which should I use? An astrigent with a bit of salicylic acid or one of those alcohol-free toners? Or do I have to experiment?

I would suggest the Salicylic acid since it's been proven to help against acne. However, it depends on what other products you are using on your face to fight acne. For example, if you are on Differin (like me), then Salicylic acid should not be used at all.

witch hazel makes a good astringent. You can add lavender and/or tea tree essential oils as well (they're antiseptics and help fight acne). diluted vinegar also makes a good acne-fighting toner.

Well,thanks for the suggestions but let's say I'm on Dan's regimen.Astringent or toner or none.I'm just trying to keep it simple.

Yup, if your on the Regimen use NEITHER, especially not the astringent which im guessing will contain a lot of alcohol. It'll just dry you out even more than the BP will. You'll regret it [-X

Vanessa xxx

Agree with above posters. NO TONER on the regimen.

Toners were originally made to remove residue from cream cleansers. They are defitely not required if you use a wash cleanser....the water washes the residue away. Toner and Astringent are the same thing...astringent is an old fashioned word with bad connotations that virtually no brand would dare use now. They're drying...so sometimes people with really oily skin like the oil purging effect. Don't put anything with alcohol on your face - known irritant...although I reckon they're ok for you back etc.

My 2 cents.