Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
swizzchard

Scars in The Matrix

I really liked the movie(the original and reloaded), but its besides the point.

Its a huge blockbuster movie, and the two main characters, (both good, heroic, and many think sexy) have acne scarring. Lawrence Fishbourne most noticably, but Keanu Reeves as well, (and its not just a little chicken pox scar like most celebrities on that one website that somoene posted have).

This makes me feel good, but when also made me feel good is that in 1999 when the first Matrix was released, I didnt even notice that these guys had scarring. I didnt recognize that Lawrence Fishbourne had scarring, but I really didnt think much about it. Now when I watch the first one I totally see their scars and I stare and pause to look at them. Weird yes, but its just nice seeing other people with them :D. It also shows me that I am LOOKING for scars, and that while I freak out about mine and how they look in this lighting or that lighting, many people just recognize them as being there and thats that. And thats how I felt about their scars before I really had much of my own. Now I really notice theirs, (and mine).

And do you hear much of anyone making comments on Morphues's face? No! Everyone thinks he is bad-ass!

Also, in other post someone said that they found it hard to watch the bad guy in Xmen 2 because of his scarring. I have to agree, it was hard for me to watch as well. But then I wondered how many people in the audience felt the same way. Probably none of them. But because I suffer from them I look for them and they emotionally effect me in a different way then people who dont have them and dont anaylze peoples complexions like I do.

I just liked this about the Matrix and it made me feel *a tad* better. Just wondering if anyone had any comments on this.

I'm the same way. Because I have scarring, I tend to notice it on other people. I'm sure like you mentioned that people who don't have scarring probably don't even notice it or don't think twice about it if they see it. They aren't self concious about it like most of us with it are. They have their own self concious things that they are concerned about and not our scars :D

well im not glad that they have scars but it gives some kind of comfort to see that there are people with our condition and are very successfull and dont let them get in the way. i also didnt noticed the scars on the first matrix until i had them, and i also felt bad on xmen 2, specially cause he was the bad guy... they put scars as bad, but on matrix its the contrary.

As i mentioned in a different post, Laurence Fishbourne's scars are not bad. However the texture of his skin is bumpy and i think this together with the lighter makeup might accentuate his scars.

Keanu Reeves has minor scarring on the side area of his face. It takes nothing away from his looks. I would kill to have skin like his.

I watched U-571 on tv the other day and Mathew McConaughey has deeper scarring on his face but again it does not take away from his looks. What man wouldn't want to look like him.

Scarring can be light to moderate and look ok on a person's face, but when it is deeper and more defined and it actually affects the structural integrity of your face then this can be hard to live with. Mine is the latter that's why i want to do something about it.

First of all I loove Mathew McConaughey :D/ but that is besides the point. Yeah I look for acne scars In Everything!! I must be a freak about it, but I know other people like, clear face people dont because I sure know I didn't when I was like 13. I noticed the bad guy in Xmens and Definitely Morpheus'...the women's faces in X men were pretty great, But I still think there's camera trick and Lotsa nice make up involved. I do look for everyones, I notice Jeniffer Lopez has a chicken poc mark, but you know they're not bad cuz I have one and I dont mind it at all...it's like shallow perfectly round and is the exact color of my skin you know? its really just the acne scars..Ashton kutcher looks like he has a kinda big scar on his cheek from acne..but he's adorable as ever. I dunno...I feel like kind of a weirdo examining everyone's faces but it's become natural now. I even try to imagine Pretty people with scars to see if it would really make them that bad...or If im standing kinda far from people if they have scars but you just can't see them from far, and maybe mine aren't noticable either. I know this sounds weird, but it kinda just shows how acne scars affect people emotionally just as anything else..it sounds like a sickness!! I dont wanna complain though, I'm an alltogether happy person and I dont talk about scars with anyone else so, I guess people wouldn't really guess how bothersome it is :D

Have a great day :D

"Keanu Reeves has minor scarring on the side area of his face. It takes nothing away from his looks. I would kill to have skin like his. "

I actually think that if my sarring was on a less prominent part of my face it wouldn't be such an issue for me. Even if it was worse, but was an area I could cover with hair I'd feel better. Are there any leading actors with scars on their chin, nose or mouth area?

wow, I saw Matrix Reloaded today, pretty sweet film, and like 60% of the actors had some sort of scarring on their face, mainly acne scarring. It did make me feel a little more normal :D

--CS

I'd also like to mention that after watching the first one once again a few of the characters who died off also had acne scarring, although not severe. I wonder if one of the directors have scarring and wanted to put people with scarring in the movie? or maybe its just a coincidence? or maybe acne scarring is just a lot more common then we thought?

Just think of all the close-up angles the camera was on these characters. It's hard to judge how bad their scars are when the camera is that close. It's like when you inspect yourself a couple cms away with a mirror.

Ya many people have scars...

I spent most of Reloaded studying Morpheus's scars and Neo's.

Great effects, but the film dragged on - didn't like it.

Another celebrity with acne scars is Bryan Adams - and his skin is VERY badly scarred - yet no-one ever mentions it!

I saw it last night and thought it was an amazing visual fest but very confusing and dull in places. I noticed most of the male actors had scarring, but as usual all the women had flawless skin :)

At least the leading lady's not very pretty which makes a nice change.

ps

Keanu is looking good for 40!

Forgive me if I offend anyone, but it's true Keanu and Lawerence have acne scarring. I noticed it as well, but wouldn't you feel better if you had millions of dollars like they do? They have acne scars and lots of money and fame........... I just have acne scars!

Someone mentioned earlier that J-Lo has one chicken pox scar on her face. The woman has HEAPS of them. See U-Turn and you will notice that she has many on her forehead that are extremely obvious and a few on her cheeks. Having chicken pox scars myself, it made me feel good to see that someone who is considered sexy [and is female] has the same type of problem I do with their skin.

I think it's somehow more acceptable for a man to have scarring on his face and still be considered sexy to look at, whereas a woman is 'supposed' to have beautiful creamy skin that is flawless to be beautiful.

I too noticed Morpheus' skin in The Matrix and it is quite svere scarring, but it takes nothing away from his character being kick ass and a lot of women finding him very attractive. As for Keanu - a few scars on his face do absolutely nothing to take away from his beauty.

I preffer to look at the eyes and the physique when I consider the beauty of a person - skin texture is not of importance if the features and attiitude hold some sort of beauty.

I too didn't really look at other people's skin texture before I got my scarring - now I find myself actually searching out any imperfections on movies just to say to myself 'LOOK - SHE HAS THEM TOO SO DON'T FEEL SO BAD...'

:)

IJust want to add my two cents - :-k think/thought Trinity was quite pretty. She wasn't all blonde and buxom, she looks real... but still pretty. . . I of course notice all of the scarring... you know what before my own scars I never even noticed scarring on others - I didn't even notice my husand's until I got mine two/three months ago... weird huh...(people really don't see them as much as we think I think)

Anyway, speakin' of my scars - mine are really improving!!!! Maybe they just needed to heal some more or maybe it's the vinegar (though I haven't done the vinegar thing in two days cause my skin was too irritated, or maybe it's the glyco peels (seems like I am lucky to have a face left after all that huh?) But what ever it is they are getting better ... :) I am still not perfect not will I ever be again I suppose but I am alot closer than I thought I would be :D :D/ I hope I continue to heal [-o< .... is it possible they just needed some time to heal? Gosh i hope I am not imagining things [-o< I am going to start vinegar again... I'll keep y'all posted.

I hate to be a prick, but...

Jesus effing-christ! Do you people ever actually look at other human beings, or what? Almost EVERY other person over the age of 25 has some sort of old acne-related scarring. Yes, for most people it's relatively minor, and nobody notices it. For others, it's severe, and they could probably do well with a bit of surgery. For the VAST majority, though, NOBODY CARES.

Lawrence Fishbourne & Tommy Lee Jones are both fine examples of famous actors with moderate-severe acne scarring. Do you honestly think there are many people in the world who give a rat's ass about the scars? Of course not.

Just because you don't have a porcelein complexion doesn't make you some sort of sideshow freak.

Everyone may have some sort of minor scarring, I'm sure most people do. However in every magazine for women , and mens magazines that are full of women, they all have crystal clear skin, like its been painted on, perfectly spotless smooth skin...every single picture. I'm not saying at all that all those women have perfect skin, or even close, but that's the image either way. so it still sucks.

Exactly Laura. You are dead-right about the media and the fashion world's perception of what a 'beautiful' woman should look like.

Etnu, you were not being a prick but perhaps a little misguided in your assessment of people's taking notice of the scarring of actors on film. I get a sense of empowerment from seeing others with facial scarring doing something so public and looks orientated. It is exactly that that GIVES people hope and makes us forget about how awful we may beleiev our own scarring to be.

Nobody has said anything about people who have facial scarring being freaks - that doesn't even come into the equation. I think you need to remove the chip from your shoulder and realize where everyone is coming from here.

:-k

Funny, I noticed the same thing in the Matrix, and it made me feel more 'normal' when I saw that Keanu Reeves also has some weird skin/scars on his chest.