Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ambivalent

How much sugar is too much?

I try to limit my intake of sugar, when I have it, to no more than 9 grams. I'm not sure how much sugar in one serving will act up my acne, though.. does anybody know? Should I avoid it at all meals or does it just depend on how much at one serving?

I try to limit my intake of sugar, when I have it, to no more than 9 grams. I'm not sure how much sugar in one serving will act up my acne, though.. does anybody know? Should I avoid it at all meals or does it just depend on how much at one serving?

It really depends. Why do u want to add sugar to ur meals anyway? With my diet i try to avoid foods that will spike my sugar levels up at one time... if you know about the GI index this helps. Basically if ur sugar levels in your blood are high your pancrease will excrete a hormone called insulin to keep you sugar levels down... Now most acne patients have a sensitivity to this hormone and it causes the skin to produce more oil. remember this simple rule ''Refined Carbs/sugar = more insulin = more hormones = more sebum (oil) = more bacteria = more acne'' So aim to eat foods with a LOW gi index such as fibre rich carbs.

I never drink sodas or candy, but certain sugars in foods cannot be avoided. There is added sugar for flavor in certain foods and I never add sugar to my own food.

Examples are TV-Dinners (As bad as it sounds, sometimes I have to eat this if I am going to eat at all!)

I don't have the money to provide my own meals so I have to eat what my parents provide. There is added sugar in breads, sauces, peanut butter, you name it. Sometimes I am surprised that something even has sugar in it at all. I can't afford to live completely sugar-free to avoid some of these things, and even some organic foods I buy myself have added evaporated cane juice in them.

I wonder how many grams of sugar are in a tsp. ? I just want to know my limit.

I never drink sodas or candy, but certain sugars in foods cannot be avoided. There is added sugar for flavor in certain foods and I never add sugar to my own food.

Examples are TV-Dinners (As bad as it sounds, sometimes I have to eat this if I am going to eat at all!)

I don't have the money to provide my own meals so I have to eat what my parents provide. There is added sugar in breads, sauces, peanut butter, you name it. Sometimes I am surprised that something even has sugar in it at all. I can't afford to live completely  sugar-free to avoid some of these things, and even some organic foods I buy myself have added evaporated cane juice in them.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again.... its all abount BALANCE between sugars and "good" fats.

One bite/drink of sugary substance= one successive bite of good fats.

Good fats such as Olive Oil, or a salad drenched in olive oil, or an avocado, or even some peanuts, almounds, or my favorite Brazil Nuts.

I eat upwards of 100 grams of sugar a day, but my blood sugar levels never SPIKE and cause a disturbance, because after every drink of orange juice, or every bite of peach, I eat 1 brazil nut, or take a bite out of an avocado...

The best alternative might be to drench a peach with olive oil. Or Eat one whole peach and then drink 1-2 teaspoons of Olive Oil immediately afterwards

Also processed sugar which is most of today can supress the immune system, 6 teaspoons, for up to 6 hours. So no wonder why people are feeling tired and exhausted. Today people are consuming over 120-40 pounds of processed sugar when back then in 1900s, the most was 5 pounds.

And are you one of those people who think that milk is "high insulinic"? smile.gif I think blackbirdbeatle answered that complaint (about milk) rather nicely in recent posts.

I think the GI of a food is BY FAR the best predictor of the insulinic response, although there are obviously other lesser factors involved, too. And I still think that glycemic INDEX is more useful than glycemic LOAD, for reasons I've detailed in previous posts.

I see that oatmeal is listed here in a nutrition book I have as 49, which is kind of a medium-level GI. That's not terribly surprising to me, since (if I recall correctly) the fiber in that stuff is almost evenly-balanced between soluble and insoluble...

Bryan

I don't have the money to provide my own meals so I have to eat what my parents provide. There is added sugar in breads, sauces, peanut butter, you name it. Sometimes I am surprised that something even has sugar in it at all. I can't afford to live completely  sugar-free to avoid some of these things, and even some organic foods I buy myself have added evaporated cane juice in them.