Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is acne just a weakness in the immune system? It is bacteria and it varies greatly would this mean that the person who has acne could just have an immune system not able to cope with the bateria.

I know of no research indicating this...but my gut feeling is that acne will be grouped with autoimmune illnesses. People bend over backwards to implicate the western diet....and although diet and diet allergies are definite influences on skin I have never reconciled these claims with my own experience. I reckon it will be simplier...I think we are just growing up too clean with not enough exposure to bacteria....and what happens...your body starts to get paranoid and flip its lid and cause its own problems...and lo you've got people right, left and centre with crohns disease, collitis, endomentriosis, asthma, hayfever ....blah blah...and (according to me) acne.

That is my laymans pick anyhow. :D

I think it's more genetic, tho it might be genetic consequences on the immune system. I think largely it's just the way your collegen & keratin stack up. Kind of the way crystals grow, if your skin cells are genetically inclined to break down easy, harbor unhealthy bacteria, the pore shafts are too narrow, the dead cells too sticky, etc. that's the way your skin processes. Now, hormonal acne can be looked at the same way. maybe you have too many androgen bcs of your diet or maybe it's bcs your mom has a mustache {waxed off,of course!}

I think one day in the future scientists will be able to review genetic code while during zygotal evolution and be able to de-activate those dominant genes responsible for acne, asthma, cancer, addiction, ad infinitum.

Maybe I watch too much Discovery.......

What I think it is that the organs such as kidneys and intestines don't have enough resources to do their job completely so the skin (another organ) takes over as well and ejects the stuff the kidneys and intestines leave behind..

ofcourse I made this up.. no proof or whatever.. makes sense though.. kinda?

Actually Garg, I've heard that as well, it's the "Skin as a Second Liver" theory. Any extra toxins that the kidneys & liver can't take, is rerouted to the skin. It's why colonics and fasting always give you a breakout {gunk is leaving the building} and then clear you up.

namaste'

I hear people talking about toxins all the time....what toxins? R U suggesting that acne sufferers have weaker kidneys and livers than anyone else and the skin takes over a norml body function. Or is it that (that somewhat popular idea) that our environment is providing us with unacceptably high level of toxins???

The idea doesn't work for me because although we like to handwring about the western diet and environment, humans in an evolutionary sense humans have never had it so good or so easy.

That is why I stick with the absense of bacteria and toxins being the problem.

Cor...we are all so scientific like ...Tee hee :D

Maybe there's a weakness, in some cases. Nothings for certain, right? But toxins man, whoa. ALL OVER

Even the fresh fruit & vegs are covered w/ multiple insecticides, chemical fertilizer, partially treated sewer water, & WAX!!! to keep the goodness in, I suppose...right?

If you don't think we are affected by "trace" chemicals & elements in our environs, toxins, how do you explain....an influx & diagnosis of ADD, ADHD, Irritable Bowel syndrome, Gastric Influx disease, ADULT ACNE, ASTHMA {inhaled toxins} Chronic fatigue disorder, etc.

No toxins?...explain smog & twinkies.

I swear I'm not picking a fight. But I live in SoCal, "Polluted Vacation" capital of the world.

Hey...I don't think you are picking a fight at all. Neither am I.....I save my passion for the real world ...sheesh this is the internet!! :D

Mostly agree with you.

But to clarify Asthma, Colitis etc and the ones I listed in my first post are Autoimmune illnesses according to immunologists who think they are turning up because we are not getting enough exposure to bacteria that helps programme a healthy immune system. I didn't make that theory up.

What I did speculate on was that acne seems like part of this group. You'll laugh....But in great contrast to South California ...I live in Wellington NZ....probably one of the least polluted cities on earth....but interestingly we have very high rates of the asthma, allergies, bowel disorders etc.

That aside, I know what you mean about pollution...crappy additives, chemicals etc. I am not in some crazy denial about the world we live in. But I I compare all this to cradle to grave healthcare, food labelling, sunscreen, ever higher life expectancy etc etc. And on balance I still feel like we have it pretty good in the boader scheme of things.

Just one girls opinion anyhow :D