Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dantes

Another Question On Lactic Peels

Actually a few brief questions after using the 50% Lactic Acid kit from homepeels.com for the first time.

1.) Given that the first application only lasts about 1 minute, is it natural to see/experience no visible signs of change at all? I realize a single application isn't going to have a dramatic effect, but I literally didn't even have enough of a response to even know that I had undergone the first peel. No change in texture, tone, pore size, mild scar appearance, tightness, redness... no side effects or byproducts at all. Is that what most experienced with their first brief peel?

2.) I have what I would probably described as either numerous large pores or orange peel effect (what is the difference, and how can you tell by the way?) and a few mild indent scars on the cheeks, with very minor active acne. I realize the product claims to help lessen the appearance of pores, tighten and tone the skin's texture, exfoliate, and lessen the appearance of superficial scars. My question is: Have you found this to be accurate for the most part? Does the lactic peel have a positive effect on these problem areas for most who have tried them? What conditions does it seem to most realistically, effectively improve? What is the best case scenario one can hope for from these peels?

3.) The one thing I've noticed after the first peel is an increase in oiliness, which puzzled me (and oiliness always makes any of the aforementioned problems appear worse). So the last question would be: Are there ways in which the peels can make some conditions appear or become worse?

Many thanks to anyone who responds to these questions.

~ Dante

Actually I peeled for a few days after my first peel and then my skin looked good. My face was very tight after my first peel, but I haven't experienced any oiliness from the peels. What is your daily regimen besides the Lactic Peel? I use a glycolic wash so I rarely deal with oil.

Dantes - if your skin is not sensitive, then you can up the peel in terms of time. The instructions are there as a fail safe but I have skin that can handle these types of peels well and use the lactic for 7 minutes.

I have found the claims of lactic peels to be accurate - but they are unlikely to help with oange peel or pitted scarring.

I suggest you continue with a weekly lactic peel and do the vinegar method every day.

Thanks Lucid. I'm glad to hear that you have had such good results. It is also interesting, as opposed to peeling, at most my skin felt very mildly tight. Did you adhere pretty strictly to the 1 minute for first application standard? (I definitely did, and wonder if perhaps I'll only experience your results as the next peels increase in time). Normally I just use a mild cleanser like Cetaphil, rather than a glycolic acid wash... as preparation for the peel though, I used the included sample camphor wash they provided (did you do the same?) Was there any skin condition in particular the peels have helped you with, or just overall improvement in texture etc...?

Regardless, thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate your insights.

Thank you Maya. I will try that, and hope to see results with the increased time of application. I'm glad to hear that you think combining the vinegar treatment with the weekly peel is not overkill.

PS: Though I used the term "orange peel", to be honest I'm not certain if what I'm dealing with is numerous pin sized "scars" or just a multitude of large pores. I'm not well versed enough in the characteristics of the skin conditions to distinguish between the 2 at this juncture. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Dantes, Yes I kept to the 1-3 time limit pretty strictly my first few peels. I still experienced some minor peeling. I use the camphor wash only before the Lactic Peel. I am now going on my 9th peel and have not had peeling since the first few peels. I think my skin has responded better to the peels because I use a glycolic acid wash and lotion as my daily regimen, so my skin is more adapted to the acid. I also found that rinsing the acid off your face w/ cold, cold water calms the skin. I rinse the cooling gel mask off w/ cold water as well.

Since you use a gentle cleanser regularly i would say try to keep the time of your acid application down to 2-4 minutes for the next few peels. You can also go by how your skin feels as a guideline. Is it stinging really bad at 2 or 3 minutes? If it is then I would not push it. -Lucid