Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mel5058

Dermal-grafting and punch excision results at 2.5 weeks

I posted before about this and here is the latest update. I am at a point now where I see good improvement and am happy I did it so read on.....

I was not that happy at first. I had some other stuff done to my face at the same time, I had some things (under the skin pimple cyst things) cauterized. So my face looked like it had cigarette burns all over. I also had skin tags removed from my neck so I was a mess. Plus I had an allergic reaction to the topical anti-biotic

My skin was red and scabby and did not seem to be healing well.

I think the doctor knew that I was not ecstatic with my results. I truly believe that he wants me to look good.

So, at no additional charge, he used the n-lite laser on my scars. I see a huge difference now. The redness and any swelling is fading and the scars are healing more. Seem to be closing up more.

Three out of the 4 scars I had punched are almost completly gone. These were very deep icepick scars. The indents are gone, and the linear scars are almost completely faded.

The biggest one, is one that did not heal all the way. But has improved after having the laser treatment and he cauterized it again. It is not gone, but I think may have major improvement when all is said and done.

Out of the ones I had dermal-grafted, most of those are completely gone as well, the indentations, I still have redness that is healing.

I had 2 major scars dermal-grafted that did not improve 100 percent but I would say 50 percent. But that is something, these were very big, deep irregularly shaped scars, I thought would never go away.

I think the key for any of this is to allow for the healing and do not, under any circumstances, pick at the scabs that you have after. Allowing them to heal and fall off, I believe is the thing.

The scars that I had scabs on the longest healed the best. My last scabs fell off last week so they really take almost 2 weeks to all come off naturally.

I did pick at a couple of the scabs that I just could not stand anymore. Much to my regret now.

I was in a hurry for the scabs to fall off as I had to work. I should have taken an entire week off or maybe 10 days to just let them heal.

Plus some scabs that I did not pick at fell off prematurely. I took a hot shower and got my face wet. Then when I put cream on my face, the scabs were so soft they just rolled off. If this did not happen, I believe my improvement would have been even better.

The doctor said, it will take 2 months to really see how well I will heal. If after that time I have ones that I am not happy with, he will do them over.

I think I will have 3 do overs. 3 out of probably 14. So that is not bad then. I think after the second treatment these will be gone. Next time I will take the time off, allow the scabs to heal and NOT pick at them, or get my face wet in the shower.

So maybe there is hope. Besides I am in my thirties, and when you are older, your skin does not heal as fast as it did in your teens and twenties. But I think the laser should be part of the treatment plan. I had another doc that wanted to laser my whole face for $4k!!!!! But this doctor I have now did only my scars, at no charge, and it was one of those lasers that does not deeply burn your skin, in other words, no down time.

I am glad I had it done now. We'll see what happens over the next two months.

Thanks so much for posting your update. It sounds like you got some great results. That's terrific! :D

hi mel5058 you're alive right? It took a long time to update your results. Well how was the dented scar that you have gone excisions? Does it completely levelled on your surrounding skin areas??? So no more depress scars after excision, and only a thin red line??? Well i am not talking about punch grafting am only talking of excisions!! :D({|=

Congrats on your results.

So you had 14 scars worked on. This doctor must be good to do this all in one session.

You didn't put anything on the scabs, just let them heal naturally.

I am confused. People say just let the scabs heal by themselves and other's say keep applying creams or serum to keep them moist and to heal faster.

I just don't know what to do! ](*,)

mel,

I'm happy to hear that things are going well. It sounds like dermal grafting may be another method of treatment which could become popular.

I'm interested in your punch excisions, since I'm considering getting that done on a couple of my scars. How large were the scars that he punched (in millimeters)? Did he also take skin for the grafts from your abdomin?

Thanks for updating us!

I am not sure how big the scars were in milimeters. But they were big, as I had small ones that just look like enlarged pores that I did nothing to. they were also very deep, totally icepick types. And one saucer shaped one that was pretty big that was dermal grafted. They took skin from my belly button for that.

I was supposed to put topical anti-biotics (neosporin) on the scabs but was allergic. So I did put this "healing ointment" by eucerin on it. I think it is essentially glorified vaseline.

Hey Lonely man,

Yes I am alive! The scar is leveled. I am nervous about them caving in again as I hear so many people say. Hopefully they wont, they look good now so we'll see.

hi mel5058. I have read youtr results of dermal grafting was not good. Well i was not impressed with my excision results last April. About your excision (not dermal grafting okey), how many layers of skin does your doctor stich-up. I was only stich-up about 1 layer(outside) and lacks the 2nd layer stich(inside). This procedure after 14 hours of my treatment causes the stiches to tore apart.

well about your excision results(cut the scar and stich it -up), so you said your scars was quite deep right, as of now how many percent did you rate that depresion of scars pop -up above skin level which exchange it to a thin line scar?

Mel I have encouraging news for you . . . my excisions sunk back in only after few days so based on my experience if you made it thus far you look to be in good shape. I think you also mentioned that you are in the Southeast and so am I. So can you please post the name of the doctor you used, if you dont want to post his name please send me his name to --> [email protected] <-- I will definately visit him. Also lonelyman please be sure to post your results too. I have access to a high resolution digital camera and access to webspace so i will try to post before and after pics of my excision when i get it done. Also mel, like lonelyman I would like to know if there was an inside stitch . . . this seems to be crucial for the proceedure to heal properly. I am still relatively young 28 so i hope everything goes well, this message board has been very helpful.

Guest delta force operators

i looked this up from 03 i think i might need to have something like this done...has anyone had this done..how was the results..for what type of scarring...i would also like to know the doc she had this done with..i am baffled how she posted and never came back again..

i looked this up from 03 i think i might need to have something like this done...has anyone had this done..how was the results..for what type of scarring...i would also like to know the doc she had this done with..i am baffled how she posted and never came back again..

Yeah I was very interested in dermal graft myself, I had consulted with a surgeon regarding this. He said the results were excellent.

Its a bit similar to the fat procedure so I am opting for the fat instead.

There was another poster here regarding dermal graft, I will try to find his post

Interesting link Lexy, thanks. But you do not need dermal grafting, its only for the large scars! You should be glad about that.

Curious what have u heard regarding this doctor? I would really like to check him out.

"Before we can "sand down the mountains", we need to "fill in the valleys". Bovine collagen (Zyderm®/Zyplast®) has been effective in this regard, but requires repeated treatments. It is now possible to permanently implant your own collagen with a method known as "DERMAL GRAFTING".

In order to accomplish this, the scars or deep skin folds are undermined (lifted up to create a pocket underneath) - initially, one to two weeks earlier, and then again on the day of the procedure.

Solid bits of collagen are then harvested from beneath the skin behind your ear. The collagen is then dissected into grafts of dermis or dermis/fat, sized exactly to fit the defects. These dermal grafts are then inserted into the pockets under the skin, elevating the skin to the desired level. Because of the fact that your own collagen is used, the grafts remain permanently part of your skin."

Sure sounds Ideal!

Interesting link Lexy, thanks. But you do not need dermal grafting, its only for the large scars! You should be glad about that.

Curious what have u heard regarding this doctor? I would really like to check him out.

so do you reccomend this guy? he looks like hes had good results

his whole site is about acne scars??? doesnt he have experience..???

He seems to be reputable from the site and apparently has a lot of experience w/ acne scars, but the person who went to him doesn't think highly of him at all, and he was one of his patients. Of course, I've only seen this one post about Dr. Swinehart. I would be interested to speak to anyone else who was a patient of his.

i still would like to know where she got this done it looked like she was in the right hands eusa_clap.gif

anyone who did excision how long did it take for the resulting scar to fade and less noticeable

is 4-5 months a good period ?

how s the result overall?

does it really make scar better with a linear one and less noticeable?