Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
whyme?

deep chemical peel - phenol

has anyone had a deep (phenol) chemical peel? from what ive read about this procedure i dont see how it could not greatly help acne scars? Im really thinking about getting this done because everything else has been completley useless for me. Do you guys think a phenol peel will do wonders on acne scars?

i haven`t had one personally - but i know that if you have a phenol peel you will never be able to get a sun tan again, and you will have to wear sun tan lotion permanantly, but if your scars are improved drastically then i guess its worth it ...

do you think a phenol peel would drastically improve the acne scars if not totally eliminate them? i also have like three moles on my face and some blotchyness, freckles, im only 20 years old and i want to have a good life, could this be my ticket? i already apply sunscreen everyday, and sun tans are unhealthy anyways....also i could by the self tanner in a bottle if it became important down the line, but can someone answer the question of whether or not a phenol peel would drastically improve or eliminate acne scars?

I"ve never heard of it. Is it anything like glycolic acid? What is it exactly, is it a peel you can do yourself?

A phenol peel is the deepest peel you can get. It uses carbolic acid and goes deep in to the dermis. It isn't used too much anymore---it leaves your skin extremely pale with a waxy appearance, and there are many risks involved.

but would it have a profound effect on acne scars? obviously i will talk with my plastic surgeon about this, but what is your guys' opinion?

I'd research it, it does sound risky. You could always try something less risky first, like subcision.

The skin culture peels are phenol based. I tried their strongest once and it was my most horrific experience - not only did it not help with scarring but it created some more scarring. Be warned.

The side effects of phenol sound like the side effects from laser resurfacing, waxy appearance, more scars and won't tan. I wonder if destroying skin lower than the epidermis means it will change its composition into scar material.

I already said on this thread that I did have one, and it didn't work.

If you go to the Acne Scar Voy you will find some posts from Kit.

I believe Kit flew from Singapore to Israel to have the Exoderm Peel performed, which is a type of deep Phenol Peel. Kit said the procedure did wonders for his wrinkles but he is less than thrilled with the results of the treatment on his scars.

If you research Exoderm there are some pretty amazing results shown in some of the pictures on scars (however I believe the most dramatic example shown was a patient who underwent the process three times). The best results of this peel are apparently obtained when combined with manual dermabrasion (sandpaper). The down side of this treatment is that a side effect is a permanent pallor, which may be allright if you are already pale, but still something to think about. There is a Dr. Rullan who posts on the Voy too, out of California, and he believes it is the best resurfacing tool out there. However again, he combines the peel with dermabrasion.

There was another Voy poster by the name of Steve who had Dr. Rullan perform the procedure and he says he derived a 40% improvement.

Personally, it scares me.

I'd definitely do your research on this one before going ahead and doing it. I also read voy forums and recall that some people were not pleased with their results. I think they got some improvement, but not major improvement.

When I used to remove ingrown toenails, some people get them so often the nail bed is best destroyed, the idea is to destroy the lateral edge of where the nail growth is problematic. The chemical of choice? Phenol. It can cauterize nails, it's corrosive, and stinks to high hell. I would never let it come in contact with my skin. You'd have to be desperate or insane to seriously put this on your face, and I don't care what level of concentration it is.

Maya- so you had your's done by a plastic surgeon and were hooked up with an EKG, and it was the worst experience of your life?

Why me - sorry, I got confused. I didn't have a deep phenol peel (like Exoderm).. I had a skin culture peel (for home use) - phenol based, which had a down time of 2 weeks - but it did not improve anything.

If you go to the Acne Scar Voy you will find some posts from Kit.

I believe Kit flew from Singapore to Israel to have the Exoderm Peel performed, which is a type of deep Phenol Peel.  Kit said the procedure did wonders for his wrinkles but he is less than thrilled with the results of the treatment on his scars.

If you research Exoderm there are some pretty amazing results shown in some of the pictures on scars (however I believe the most dramatic example shown was a patient who underwent the process three times).  The best results of this peel are apparently obtained when combined with manual dermabrasion (sandpaper).  The down side of this treatment is that a side effect is a permanent pallor, which may be allright if you are already pale, but still something to think about.  There is a Dr. Rullan who posts on the Voy too, out of California, and he believes it is the best resurfacing tool out there.  However again, he combines the peel with dermabrasion. 

There was another Voy poster by the name of Steve who had Dr. Rullan perform the procedure and he says he derived a 40% improvement.

Personally, it scares me.

hi.. Im the steve that she is referring about.. I got my exoderm lift done in march of 2002, with some pretty good success.. OVerall ive probably achieve about a 50% or slightly higher improvement..

Exoderm works wonders on wrinkles and shallow scars after one lift.. If done mulitple times it will probbaly do wonders for deep scars as well..

if you have any questions please post..I also wrote alot of stuff on the voy.com regarding exoderm.. SO you might want to check out that sight as well

so steve, i have some shallow acne scarring and if i was to get the phenol peel do you think it would probaly completley remove it? also how many of these treatments did you get? how pale has it made your skin? do you have to wear a sunblock everyday? What is the percent chance of scarring as a side effect of the peel? thanks in advance