Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alliask

Can dental work be causing your acne?

I've noticed that over the past 3 years, my acne has gotten significantly worse. The amount of dental work I have done have also increased over the past 3 years and there appears to be a correlation between dental work and acne for me. I've had root canals, crowns, fillings.... and all of them contain alloy metals, I believe. I've found some sites that say that the metal in dental work can be toxic and strain the liver, causing acne. I'm wondering if this is really a cause of acne for me.

In addition, having abscesses in your mouth might be linked to acne. I currently have an abcess and my acne has been really bad.

Have any of you noticed a correlation between dental work/problems and acne?

If you google acne and dental together, you'll find some sites that say that dental work/problems can be a cause of acne.

We've talked about this quite a bit on the forum here. If you have a lot of silver mercury amalgams in your mouth, the mercury that leaks from them causes terrible candida overgrowth, which in turn causes acne and other (potentially serious) health problems.

One of my online buddies from another forum went on two round of Accutane and everytime the acne came back with a vengeance. He began a lot of colon cleansing and liverflushing. I also talked to him about his teeth and he had a lot of silver mercury fillings. Turns out he had an abcessed tooth as well. As soon as he got that worked on, his acne improved drastically.

As far as dental work goes, I say get the mercury out of your mouth and get composites. That's what I did.

On top of leaking mercury, they (silver mercury fillings) expand and contract and eventually crack your teeth.

http://www.cfspages.com/

http://www.karlloren.com/ultrasound/p24.htm

It's important to understand that there are many root causes of acne. You'll be spinning wheels for the rest of your life trying this, that, and the other if you don't focus on a few things and be tenacious about treating the liver, the colon, and the heavy metals and whatnot that can come from fillings, the water supply, the food supply, etc......

I tested high for mercury, pcb's, copper, and isopropyl alcohol.

In addition, having abscesses in your mouth might be linked to acne.  I currently have an abcess and my acne has been really bad.

Have any of you noticed a correlation between dental work/problems and acne?

If you google acne and dental together, you'll find some sites that say that dental work/problems can be a cause of acne.

I also believe that mercury can possibly cause candida overgrowth and poor digestion. These will then cause acne. Mercury has also the ability to fuck up your nutrient metabolism totally and you won't then get all the important nutrients needed to maintain a healthy skin. The problem is that mercury toxicity is very hard to prove with tests because a low level of mercury in test results doesn't necessarily mean that you don't suffer from mercury toxicity. In fact, it can be the exact opposite only hinting that your body doesn't get rid of mercury effectively. So, yeah, i think it can be the root cause for acne.

Hi- I suffered from moderate acne for the past 3 years. Have been on coutless topical precriptions. Some helped for a while, but recently nothing that I have done has helped (except for a lower-carb diet).

Edited by kp335

You know, as far as life long correlations, I think you might be on to something. I often wondered if the amount of candy I ate when I was a kid played a role in having acne growing up. I never thought too much about the fact that because of that, I've had more than 2 root canals and a bunch of fillings, the old kind too. I know I had my first blemishes when I was like 10 in 1994, and had lots of dental work around that time. I wish I could go back and take better care of my teeth.

Hi- I suffered from moderate acne for the past 3 years. Have been on coutless topical precriptions. Some helped for a while, but recently nothing that I have done has helped (except for a lower-carb diet).

I recently went to a Integrative Medical Doctor and she suggested that I get the my mercury fillings removed and replaced with non-mercury ones...for alzheimer's risk and not specifically acne. I have 8 total cavilties, 4 on each side of my mouth. Had 4 taken out on my left side first, a week or two later no more acne on that side of my face. Had the other four taken out two weeks ago..broke out a little 2-3 days after procedure, but a week later no more breakouts. Havent had one in over a week which is pretty big since I would usually get 2-3 every other day.

Don't know if this is a coincidence or not, as I have been taking milk thistle supplements for the last month, but I hope it was the fillings. Hopefully I will stay clear and my scars can start fading.

I would love to hear from other people who have might had the same experience.

btw, had the fillings put in from the ages of 8-13. Didnt break out until age 25. The doctor said it could take years until enough mercury builds up in your system to see a symptom.

I just made a thread about this recently: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/mercury-t...37#entry2607537

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your improvement is likely temporary, and things could very well get worse for you in a few months (read my post to understand why). I highly recommend that you start mercury chelation ASAP (Andy Cutler's protocol) to start getting rid of the mercury that has built up in your body.

One more thing to think about - Flouride toxicity. In the USA, tap water is fortified with flouride in most places, not to mention it's found in our toothpaste, bottled water, supplements, and at the dentist's office. Water and toothpaste are things that everyone uses daily, and I wouldn't be surprised if a large percentage of people had too much flouride in their body. Read this website, it tells you alot about floruide toxicity: http://www.holisticmed.com/fluoride/

Water should have flouride in it. It prevents cavities.

I get all my cavities fillled white. I dont have a single silver tooth

Ick, I disagree. You shouldn't drink fluoride. Why digest it for your teeth? A mouthwash would make more sense.

http://www.battery-rechargeable-charger.co...oning-info.html

Id rather drink fluoride water than tap water.

Why not drink filtered water then? I don't advocate tap water anyways.

i have 2 or 3 amalgam fillings and the more i read the more it makes me think i want these god damn things out of my head! How the hell did anyone think it was a good idea to shove some mercury into someone's face!!

Is it best to leave them in or have them taken out? I'm going to my dentist in a few weeks for a check up and i'm going to mention it...they will prob think i'm crazy like everyone else does!!!!

Water should have flouride in it. It prevents cavities.

It sounds like you didn't even bother to read the link I posted. In fact, Water floruidation is BANNED in most other industrialized, first world countries; they know that it's toxic in large quantities.

"Fluoride compounds in water and in supplements do not provide any significant cavity-protecting effects. All of the recent large-scale studies of water fluoridation have shown that there are no positive effects. That is why countries without fluoridation have shown an equal improvement in dental health as those with fluoridation. (See Research Item #5.) There is scientific evidence that excessive fluoride exposure leads to increased levels of caries. Even pro-fluoridation scientists admit that there is not any properly-conducted research showing that fluoride supplements help prevent cavities. (Note: check vitamins carefully to be sure they do not include fluoride.)" Source

As I have a lot of metal in my mouth (12+ amalgam fillings) and have heard the mercury toxicity claims, I've been trying to do a bit of research myself. I'm still not sure what's true and what's a bunch of bull, but this article raises some good points:

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelate...cs/mercury.html

"Mercury is a component of the amalgam used for "silver" fillings. The other major ingredients are silver, tin, copper, and zinc. When mixed, these elements bond to form a strong, stable substance. The difference between bound and unbound chemicals can be illustrated by a simple analogy. Elemental hydrogen is an explosive gas. Elemental oxygen is a gas that supports combustion. When combined, however, they form water, which has neither of these effects. Amalgam's ingredients are tightly bonded to each other. Although the types of chemical bonds in water and amalgam differ, saying that amalgam will poison you is just as wrong as saying that drinking water will make you explode and burst into flames."

As I have a lot of metal in my mouth (12+ amalgam fillings) and have heard the mercury toxicity claims, I've been trying to do a bit of research myself. I'm still not sure what's true and what's a bunch of bull, but this article raises some good points:

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelate...cs/mercury.html

"Mercury is a component of the amalgam used for "silver" fillings. The other major ingredients are silver, tin, copper, and zinc. When mixed, these elements bond to form a strong, stable substance. The difference between bound and unbound chemicals can be illustrated by a simple analogy. Elemental hydrogen is an explosive gas. Elemental oxygen is a gas that supports combustion. When combined, however, they form water, which has neither of these effects. Amalgam's ingredients are tightly bonded to each other. Although the types of chemical bonds in water and amalgam differ, saying that amalgam will poison you is just as wrong as saying that drinking water will make you explode and burst into flames."

Wow, there are honestly still people denying that mercury is released from amalgams? What a joke. I can assure you that has no validity. Read through the thread I posted a link to above... I think I posted info from the FDA and the Canadian government website talking about how mercury vapor IS released from fillings and DOES accumulate in your body. And they would be the last ones to admit they ever did anything wrong.

i have 2 or 3 amalgam fillings and the more i read the more it makes me think i want these god damn things out of my head! How the hell did anyone think it was a good idea to shove some mercury into someone's face!!

I ask myself that all the time.

Is it best to leave them in or have them taken out?

That's difficult to answer...

I personally developed some new problems a few months after I had my fillings out (because your body starts dumping mercury once blood levels of mercury get low). But, for me, even though I have more problems now than I did before, I'm sure it will be worth it in the end... Because I had health problems before I got my fillings out, and I wouldn't be able to live with those problems for the rest of my life. This is the only way for me to get better.

Occasionally, people get their fillings out, and experience permanent improvements, even without doing chelation. But I don't know how common that is.

I think how you will react depends a lot on how toxic you are. I had a LOT of allergy shots, which all contained mercury, on top of my 4 fillings, so I think I am pretty toxic.

If you get a hair test, that will usually tell you if you have mercury toxicity. And if you do, then you should get your fillings out IF you are willing/able to do chelation. If you start chelation shortly after you get your fillings out, that usually helps with the "dumping phase" so you won't necessarily get sick.

I'm going to my dentist in a few weeks for a check up and i'm going to mention it...they will prob think i'm crazy like everyone else does!!!!

If you're going to get them out, go to someone who knows how toxic mercury is. You'll need to have them removed as safely as possible. A lot of regular dentists will just take them out without protecting you at all, and that exposes you to too much mercury.

Denise2, can you tell us a bit more about how you got tested for "mercury, pcb's, copper, and isopropyl alcohol"? And what type of tests were done?

My mom has many amalgam fillings, done 3-5 years ago. In the last couple of years, she has always suffered from "strange" muscular issues, joint pain, fatigues, tyroid issues etc. that no physican is able to really pin point and treat.

I really suspect it is due to mercury and amalgams. I've read daily mercury build up can affect ones body 3 years after getting dental fillings.

I've also read somewhere that conventional medical tests are not equipped to catch mercury toxicity.

Appreciate your help.

Leah what does this chelation business involve...taking some sort of supplement? If so is it available in the uk?

There are different ways of doing chelation, but I recommend Andy Cutler's protocol because it is the safest and most effective. It involves taking either DMSA or DMPS alone for the first 3 months after you get your fillings out, then you add ALA. DMSA is available online (www.vrp.com). DMPS requires a prescription, so most people use DMSA instead. ALA is available in stores.

You CANNOT take these supplements randomly. You have to take them on a certain schedule. You take them every 3-4 hours (including during the night, so you have to wake up in the middle of the night) for about 3 days at time. Then repeat that every week or two. It usually takes at least a year, and up to several years, to get rid of all the mercury.

Also, Dr. Cutler recommends taking several other supplements to help protect your body the damage mercury causes. If you're going to use his protocol, it's best to get his book Amalgam Illness.

Chelation is kind of expensive, takes a long time, and can make you sicker before it helps anything. So you have to decide if it's worth it.

Denise2, can you tell us a bit more about how you got tested for "mercury, pcb's, copper, and isopropyl alcohol"? And what type of tests were done?

This thread was started 4 years ago. Denise doesn't come here anymore.

My mom has many amalgam fillings, done 3-5 years ago. In the last couple of years, she has always suffered from "strange" muscular issues, joint pain, fatigues, tyroid issues etc. that no physican is able to really pin point and treat.

I really suspect it is due to mercury and amalgams.

Probably. I'm not sure about muscular issues and joint pain, but at least the fatigue and thyroid issues can definitely be caused by mercury toxicity. Mercury really disrupts the endocrine system.

I've also read somewhere that conventional medical tests are not equipped to catch mercury toxicity.

That's true. But a hair test can indirectly reveal mercury toxicity. Here's a link that explains it: http://home.earthlink.net/~moriam/HOW_TO_hair_test.html