Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Narcisses

DERMABRASION IN MELBOURNE?

HI Ravenblack,

I think you mean Greg Goodman?

I've seen him - and i didn't really think much of him. He doesn't accept health care cards to start off with - it's like he's in this business to make money, which i think is ironical when you're a doctor.

Secondly, i didn't really feel like he cared much about the situation. I dunno. I guess there's no substitute for Dr. Y - but 10,000 sheesh - and lets not forget the conversion rate of aussie dollar to the US dollar.

HI Ravenblack,

I think you mean Greg Goodman?

I've seen him - and i didn't really think much of him. He doesn't accept health care cards  to start off with - it's like he's in this business to make money, which i think is ironical when you're a doctor.

Secondly, i didn't really feel like he cared much about the situation. I dunno. I guess there's no substitute for Dr. Y - but 10,000 sheesh - and lets not forget the conversion rate of aussie dollar to the US dollar.

Putting on weight to improve your scars? What a farken moron. Australian doctors are idiots.

Greg Goodman,

That is where I got all of my smoothbeam burns. The hundred or so blisters that scared when we were treating what was essentially ONE acne scar! Now I have blister scars a year later that he said were only superficial and easily rectifiable! HA, they are worse than any acne I ever got or any scars that my own body did to itself. He has a FAB reputation, but his assistant burnt me bad and I am devastated by the whole freakin experience. I regret the day I ever went there... Anyone eles know a better derm here in Melbourne? I am still trying to get rid of these blister scars....

I'm so sorry to hear of your blister scarring. A doctor with a good reputation doesn't earn it by having his assistant treat his patients!

I think his 'good' reputation stems from the fact that he is president of the cancer council and a senior lecturer at Monash.

Whatever..

Anyway, i'm going to see a doctor by the name of 'Suresh Chandra'.

I hope he's good, i'll let ya'll know how i go.

I've seen Dr. Philip Beckor as well. It started off as fantastic - he's a great person and i got subcision done from him, but that's all. He's very conservative in his treatment methods which is a good thing.

Anyway, i didn't get any improvement from the subcision so he suggested i see someone who was willing to try something more 'aggressive' - ie: he referred me to Dr. Greg Goodman.

I was unimpressed by the fact that he had so many photos of perfect people everywhere - on his business cards etc...

I don't like the idea of a Doctor selling 'beauty'. Friggin why not just get a job at AVON! Anyway, i asked him why he used perfect images of women/people to sell himself - he smiled and probably wrote "insane" in my file. Dweeb. smile.gif

I have an appointment with Dr P Bekhor in July....maybe I shouldn't go; I am looking to correct what Greg has done! And if greg can't fix it...then maybe Bekhor can't either...I am sooo depressed. Sooo let me know how u go with this new doctor, I am feeling so depressed and alone here in Melbourne with this scarring....Keep in touch Pleeassseee! Thank you so much Jo

Narcassis

What is your scarring like...is it bad? And what are u currently doing. Have u used retin-a - with any success? Got any tips for me to be doing at the mo while I wait to see a dermo....

Narcassis

What is your scarring like...is it bad?  And what are u currently doing.  Have u used retin-a - with any success?  Got any tips for me to be doing at the mo while I wait to see a dermo....

To eternal...

Um is my scarring bad? i'm not sure, it's all relative. I hate it though, i'm sure there are people worse and better off.

Philip Beckor is a safe doctor. His opinion is definitely worth a go.

I haven't had any treatment for my scars apart from the subcisions, so...i really can't help you out with the retin-a etc...

Sorry.

Best wishes and i definitely will keep you posted.

Feel free to personally email me.

yes it is all relative and there are always those better worse off... and thank you for keeping me posted on your new dermo - really appreciate it. Will see Bekhor and see what he has to say. I am thinking a couple of scars would benefit from subscision...cheers Jo

Hi Eternal,

I am very sorry to hear about your Laser experience. I cannot believe an assistant would do this. This is a lesson for everyone to only let the actual doctor perform a procedure.

Also, the thing with Doctor Goodman, is that in all his brochures (which to me show a great interest in acne scarring) I have never seen a decent before an after picture. All the before and after pictures are of people who have minor scarring if scarring at all. He does talk about wire brush dermabrasion in his article but does not do it - he calls it an "excellent" technique.

Doctor Y told me that he spent some time in 1986 in his New Orleans practice but now Greg was a "laser" man.

However, there should be some surgeons who perform diamond fraise dermabrasion in Melbourne but would likely be plastic surgeons. I suggest only seeing Australian certified ones if someone decides to pursue this avenue

Ravenblack - Dr Lanzer hey; what was your erbium laser experience. I have olive skin and Greg recommended it for the smoothbeam burns and then said no because I would have a 'white' spot.

HOWS this though, Greg Goodman is getting Thermage and Fraxel in September 2005. He will probably say that I should have one of these....I heard really bad stuff about Thermage though...and I don't know if I could do the laser thing again...so scared now. My scarring seems to be lots of these half semi circle or linear nicks in the skin making the overall texture uneven...its really depressing me. Will see Bekhor and then Lanzer and see what they both say.

Just don't know what to do anymore...am currently using Retin A and it is making my skin really really red. I am getting VIT A iontophoresis with Environ at the moment and that seems alright - nothing to write home about though. Will keep all posted on how that goes.

Thanks for all the advice on Greg guys....god I wish I hadn't let his assistant do the treatment now.

Ravenblack - Dr Lanzer hey; what was your erbium laser experience.  I have olive skin and Greg recommended it for the smoothbeam burns and then said no because I would have a 'white' spot. 

HOWS this though, Greg Goodman is getting Thermage and Fraxel in September 2005.  He will probably say that I should have one of these....I heard really bad stuff about Thermage though...and I don't know if I could do the laser thing again...so scared now.  My scarring seems to be lots of these half semi circle or linear nicks in the skin making the overall texture uneven...its really depressing me.  Will see Bekhor and then Lanzer and see what they both say. 

Just don't know what to do anymore...am currently using Retin A and it is making my skin really really red.  I am getting VIT A iontophoresis with Environ at the moment and that seems alright - nothing to write home about though.  Will keep all posted on how that goes.

Thanks for all the advice on Greg guys....god I wish I hadn't let his assistant do the treatment now.

Fellas,

If you want my two cents, well you'll get them anyway, the laser for scarring whether it is the CO2, ebrium, fraxel, thermage, Yag, smoothbeam or Victor Lawnmower type it ain't going to do anything. Therefore, the only effect you may get from it is make your skin worse. The strange thing is a plastic surgeon in Sydney told me this about 10 years ago. I had laser twice in 1998 and I would never use it again, recommend it or endorse any doctor who advocated it for scarring.

Dermabrasion, subscion & fillers are the only treatments I would try. A derm in Sydney who also trained under Doctor Y said wire brush dermabrasion is the "rolls royce" of scar revision, plus dermabrasion has been around for numerous years. I would suggest anyone to see a Plastic Surgeon for scar revision techniques other than subscion and fillers.

Thanks for the info on Lanzer Ravenblack, will seek him out if not happy with Bekhor. Yes John I think u may be right. I was looking (very closely) in the mirror last night and I could see circles and semi circles in my forehead where there was NO blistering. In fact I have marks from the smoothbeam where there didn't seem to be any adverse reaction like blistering. I really doubt laser is for me, I mean I have marks (if u look closely and long enough) everywhere. I am only 28 and I am a bit stressed how these areas will age as the collagen breaks down. I have one last meeting with Greg and I am going to tell him that yes the blisters did scar, that I have CIRCLES everywhere and some semi circles very NOTICEABLE on my face, that I don't think he can correct it and I want the truth about the situation as I age. I think I am at least entitled to that.

Anyway, enough rambling; Thanks again. Oh before I forget, what do u guys think of the CIT/needling? Was thinking this could be something long term to try?

Fellas,

If you want my two cents, well you'll get them anyway,  the laser for scarring whether it is the CO2, ebrium, fraxel, thermage, Yag, smoothbeam or Victor Lawnmower type it ain't going to do anything.  Therefore,  the only effect you may get from it is make your skin worse. The strange thing is a plastic surgeon in Sydney told me this about 10 years ago.  I had laser twice in 1998 and I would never use it again, recommend it or endorse any doctor who advocated it for scarring.

Dermabrasion, subscion & fillers are the only treatments I would try.  A derm in Sydney who also trained under Doctor Y said wire brush dermabrasion is the "rolls royce" of scar revision, plus dermabrasion has been around for numerous years. I would suggest anyone to see a Plastic Surgeon for scar revision techniques other than subscion and fillers.

yeah guys, I think it's quite superfical, although there are a couple of blisters that I think are a bit deeper...even superficial scarring seems to be really hard to get rid of. I've been on a retin-a regime for four months with this oestriol creme (which I am not using at present) both of which were prescribed by Greg and even though there is improvement, it's still there....and it's really really irritating my skin (quite red)...I am beginning to lose hope; I am wondering whether I should just accept my skin now the way it is and move on.....

Hi guys,

I am seeing Dr. Suresh Chandra in bentleigh next thursday. I'll keep you posted as to how the consultation goes and what he has to say treatment wise.

I have a dark complexion - so this'll be of use to those with olive/dark skin.

I have to say, i can't go there with alot of hope, as i'm sure to be dissappointed. Thus i'm basically going to have a 'chat' and see what this person's opinion of my situation is.

I don't think anyone with acne scarring is actually able to eliminate it. I think i'm coming to that realisation more and more, however i haven't had any treatment for the acne scarring apart from 3 rounds of subscision, which really did nothing for the overall appearance.

I believe the future of treatment for acne scarring lies in:

1) Dermabrasion - it needs to be revived and perfected

2) Punch techniques.

-Excellent, keep the faith people.

Hi Guys,

I saw Dr. Suresh Chandra recently, and am updating you on what happened as promised.

I think he's very conservative with his approach to treating acne scarring.

Basically, he said that with my type 5/6 fitzpatrick skin type - my options are limited - basically that i have no options - because i left thinking..."okay..now what..".

He said he's looking into 'photo-therapy' or something like that and he's going to give me a call in regards to it in a few weeks, however i seriously doubt he'll remember to.

He said that punch floats or excisions would not be beneficial.

I'm seriously doubting this doctor's capabilities - he's young, and for that reason i think he's inexperienced.

Anyway.... i've decided to try and hunt down some TCA, and see if i can try out the cross method on myself. I think hyperpigmentation is alot better than atrophic scars.