Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aaah21

anybody with thin/straight hair + accutane?

hey i have straight hair

i was offered accutane,,,but i said no , because im afraid of hairloss that some people encouter, does anyone know what are the chances and is it reversible?

im currently on mino but i have no idea if its gonna work or not in like 2-3 months from now

I have straight, really thin hair and I went on Tane. I lost slightly more hair than usual, like in the shower I'd get a few strands on my hands which never happened before. But nothing major. I was on 80mg a day for 6 months. Now hair is totally normal.

I have straight, fine hair and have just finished a 60mg/day for four months. I did experience hair loss (if you want details you can check out my blog, the link is in my sig...my memory isn't good enough to remember the timing of when it started or anything!!), but it hasn't been "drastic".

My hair is definitely thinner around the front -- the "bangs" or "fringe", and the top, but I think *I* am the only one who notices it. People still compliment me on my "beautiful hair"....go figure...

Cashmira biggrin.gif

A few strands of hair is scary? o.O I have thick hair and I have always been losing a couple a day..

though now it seems like more

I wonder if it has always been this way or if it's accutane... O.o

Hey guys. This is my first post here and its not going to be a positive one.

I have been off a 7 month roaccutane course for 2 months now and i started having hair loss about four months into my course. It is still happening now. Here is the depressing part. I'm only 17!

When i went to the dermatologist and asked her about it she told me quite casually that it would "probably" grow back. The word "probably" began to continuously loop in my head the entire time i was in there. I was too scared to ask her to explain further what the hair loss meant. I put on a smile and thanked her for prescribing me the drug.

When i walked out of the clinic i burst into tears and just ran. I didnt know where i was going but i just had to get away from people. It freaked me out because i am a guy and i felt that i should'nt be acting so weird. When i eventually walked home i put on another smile and told my folks that everything was fine and that it should stop soon.

That night i was very close to doing something to harm myself. Everytime somebody even glances at my hair for more than a second feels like hours now. I'm in my last year at high school and i had wanted to go to university to become a journalist. I dont have motivation now. I feel empty. My marks have slipped 70% since i noticed my hair loss. I know that i should be thinking positive but i'm 17 years old. I cant relate to any of my friends anymore. I dont want to be around them. Some days i dont even go to school. I close my blinds and stay curled up in bed. I know that i have depression but knowing that doesnt help. I have been to a pschycologist and he didn't help me. I dont have an outlet for my rage, my fears and my thoughts.

I dont have the ability to look beyond my situation. Due to family problems i do not have a support network to help me.

Anonimity is refreshing and what i am about to say will be the first time i have ever told anybody this. I have thought about suicide. Now more so than a few months ago. I dont think that i have the stomach to go through with it, not yet anyway.

I cherish those moments that i have where my fears disapear but they only make my emotional lows hurt even more. I know, this sounds like a stupid load of dribble but its hard, especially when there doesnt appear to be anyone in my age range with the same problems.

There is another thing that i have had to deal with over this time. I have been coming to terms with being gay. It hasnt been an issue that much because i am comfortable with being gay but being placed in two minorities at once (almost bald teenager and gay) is not a good combination. It pisses me off that when i told my male friends that they automatically thought that all i wanted to do was sleep with them. Cant i have straight guys as friends without wanting a piece of them.

I know that i have digressed from my original issue somewhat but i feel that all of this has been a contributing factor to my depressing way of life.What is the point. It looks as if some people may have permanent hair loss on this board. What kind of life do i have if i am not like every other teenager my age.

Hey man,

I read your post about the hairloss and feelings of utter hopelessness you've been going through. I'm 17 as well and we're at a stage in our lives where its all about having a face that "fits", you have look and be a certain way sopposedly to be a success as a person (or at least thats how it feels)

I'm on roaccutane to and although i haven't had to hair loss problems i have severe accne and an extremely pale conplexion which means they stand out even further, i stay the night at a party and the next day i have a face like a map of the himalys. I know how hard it is man, not only are you having to find your identity but your also having to deal with "your face not fitting"...some days i don't go out either cos i'm too scared about facing the world.

What you gotta ask yourself though is what are you worth as a person? is the only thing you have to offer the world perfect skin, stylish hair and a plastered smile? Don't sell yourself short mate, your worth a hell of a lot more then that and you have a hell of a lot more to offer then that.

We can't all be one of the beautiful people but we can all attempt to cultivate beautiful minds.

good luck mate, best wishes.

First, keep in mind that it's normal to lose about 100 hairs a day.

When you have been on Accutane for a while, you may notice an increase in this rate of hair loss. Accutane stresses the body and it disturbs the hair cycle, leaving more hairs in the "resting" phase than normal. These can be fairly easily pulled out because they aren't attached at the root anymore, but are just sitting in the follicle. When the hair resumes growth, if the old hair is still in the follicle, the new hair will push it out. Since more follicles are in the resting phase than normal, this can translate into greater than normal amounts of hair shedding. The good news is that if you are noticing increased shedding, it's because the hair has already begun to grow back in. Depending on the hair length it can take a while to fill back in. Don't tug on the hair you have now, be very gentle with it so it stays in the follicle until the new hair forces it out. In the meantime, don't panic. If you are 17 your hair will grow back in unless you were genetically predisposed to early baldness.

Hey guys. This is my first post here and its not going to be a positive one.

I have been off a 7 month roaccutane course for 2 months now and i started having hair loss about four months into my course. It is still happening now. Here is the depressing part. I'm only 17! <SNIP>

That night i was very close to doing something to harm myself. Everytime somebody even glances at my hair for more than a second feels like hours now. I'm in my last year at high school and i had wanted to go to university to become a journalist. I dont have motivation now. I feel empty. My marks have slipped 70% since i noticed my hair loss. I know that i should be thinking positive but i'm 17 years old. I cant relate to any of my friends anymore. I dont want to be around them. Some days i dont even go to school. I close my blinds and stay curled up in bed. I know that i have depression but knowing that doesnt help. I have been to a pschycologist and he didn't help me. I dont have an outlet for my rage, my fears and my thoughts.<SNIP>

I know that i have digressed from my original issue somewhat but i feel that all of this has been a contributing factor to my depressing way of life.What is the point. It looks as if some people may have permanent hair loss on this board. What kind of life do i have if i am not like every other teenager my age.

hey i have straight hair

i was offered accutane,,,but i said no , because im afraid of hairloss that some people encouter, does anyone know what are the chances and is it reversible?

im currently on mino but i have no idea if its gonna work or not in like 2-3 months from now

there are so many options u can do for hair loss losing ur life bc shouldnt be one. u can get hair transplants. they r really good now.. or u can take pills that help with hair growth or vitamins. rogaine.

I sorta understand the possible side effect of depression after being on tane...it could be hair loss induced depression. I've read lotsa posts about hair loss so I sorta expected it, but today was really disappointing. I swear I lost at least 50 just taking a shower and I was trying to remind myself that it might be the hairs that did not fall out yesterday b/c I didn't wash my hair yesterday. It's been about a month since I've been off 80mg/day for 4 months. I discussed the issue with my derm while I was still on it and he said the hair loss i was experiencing during my treatment could not have been a result of tane (possibly the yasmin), and that most hair loss occurs afterwards...and this is afterwards. sad.gif

I plan on getting a hair cut this weekend, perhaps that will delay further hairloss cause my hair is at mid back and that might be a bit too heavy for the follicles these days. confused.gif

I've been taking the fish pills...and washing my hair with Nioxin...I do not know if the baby hairs that frame my face are a result of this, but it shows hope that hair IS growing back..... smile.gif

hey i have straight hair

I just wanted to add to this thread, since I have been slightly anxious about this issue for the last few months (the last couple on Tane, plus the couple I've been off). I have very fine hair, that used to be a medium thickness... but I've been losing a LOT of hair in the shower after finishing Accutane. I've noticed my hair is not as thick as it used to be. It's not a shocking difference or anything, but still, everytime I wash my hair I feel sort of panicky. Like some others have posted, I lose at least 50+ hairs everytime I wash it (which is every 3rd day usually). It clogs the drain and gets everywhere. Kinda makes me freak out...

It could be the season, or the fact my hair is long too and just weighed down (though it's very fine and not "heavy"... hmmm). I don't know. Accutane may have nothing to do with it, maybe it's just time for my hair to thin out a bit, seeing as my mother also has fine and thin hair.

Anyways, I just felt the need to vent since it's worrying me a little. My hair is my vanity redface.gif Also FYI, like cashmira, the most thinning I've noticed is in the front where my bangs are...

Mae

will accutane make my body hair fall out, cause im a pretty hairy guy. that would be sorta nice. lol. but seriously the hair from my head has always come out in the shower when i washed it. hmmmmm i didnt really think that it was a bad thing really but now i dont know.

will accutane make my body hair fall out, cause im a pretty hairy guy.  that would be sorta nice.  lol.  but seriously  the hair from my head has always come out in the shower when i washed it. hmmmmm i didnt really think that it was a bad thing really but now i dont know.

I just wanted to add to this thread, since I have been slightly anxious about this issue for the last few months (the last couple on Tane, plus the couple I've been off). I have very fine hair, that used to be a medium thickness... but I've been losing a LOT of hair in the shower after finishing Accutane. I've noticed my hair is not as thick as it used to be. It's not a shocking difference or anything, but still, everytime I wash my hair I feel sort of panicky. Like some others have posted, I lose at least 50+ hairs everytime I wash it (which is every 3rd day usually). It clogs the drain and gets everywhere. Kinda makes me freak out...

It could be the season, or the fact my hair is long too and just weighed down (though it's very fine and not "heavy"... hmmm). I don't know. Accutane may have nothing to do with it, maybe it's just time for my hair to thin out a bit, seeing as my mother also has fine and thin hair.

Anyways, I just felt the need to vent since it's worrying me a little. My hair is my vanity redface.gif Also FYI, like cashmira, the most thinning I've noticed is in the front where my bangs are...

Mae

I've got the same thing going on. I used to have extremely thick hair, and I NEVER lost "50-100" a day, more like.. none that I noticed. Never had a hair on my hand after shampooing, or anything.

I took Accutane starting in Mid-January, and stopped short of my six month course in early June because the hair loss was becoming a problem. I too, notice the most thinning around the bangs/temples. The doctor tells me this is "telogen effluvium" which is supposed to be a temporary form of hairloss. Of course, if you'll research TE, it should affect the entire scalp, not just certain spots.

Anyway, most doctors try to pass this off as natural male pattern baldness, but I think that's a steaming load of crap. Every man in my family has a full head of hair, and my hair was thick and great for 22 years. Too early, and too coincidental to be baldness. I'm also sick of hairloss being described as a "very rare side effect" of Accutane, if it's even credited as a side-effect at all. If you type "Accutane and hair loss" into Google, you can find about a million articles connecting the two. That's not exactly *rare* in my opinion.

i have medium thick hair, its straight if that matters

and i was a little worried about this too but id rather have clear skin then a thick head of hair so i went on it

and foremost i noticed that it was a little dry but my solution ot that was that i didnt wash it as much and used more conditioner when i did

and by my 3rd month id notice the tiniest bit more hair would go down the drain than normal

it realy wasnt a big deal, and if you notice you could always just stop the treatment or do things to help like dont pull your hair back tight or brush it as hard, things like that.