Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
unforgiven2

truth about carbs

i have done a lot of research, talk to my professor at ucsd and read pretty much every scientific article about diet and acne ( at ucsd i have free access to almost all medical journals hehe). a summary of my conclusions:

the only thing thats seems to worsen acne (unless ur are specifically allergic to something like eggs) is refined carbohydrates (simple sugars). again i emphasize not all cabohydrates, only simple sugars. why? cuz simple sugars immediatly enters blood ( as opposed to complex carbs that require prep work), providing a immediate energy boost to bacteria, and temporarly disabling immune system. fruits and bread ( not white bread though) potato, rice... they are all ok cuz they are complex carbs. cut out ice cream, candy, table sugar, milk, store bought juices ( they add sugar to it), sweet sauces.... see the change ( i notice a difference personally).

Please post your references (I'd be interested to see the methodology of these experiments).

How come the natural sugars in fruit don't do the same?

I've cut out all products with ANY added sugar and pretty much been having all fruit and veg as of last week as there really is nothing else I can eat now.

I had already given up chocolate and crisps months earlier whilst i was using BP and got rid of the bulk of my acne.

Too soon to see if my latest efforts are working with the remainder..

I have replaced white sliced pan with less amounts of "Dairy free" brown bread which does not list sugar as an ingredient. Is this still bad?

Having Organic baked beans flavoured by natural fruit juices rather than the sugar added Heinz.. Also got out the juicer and having tons of carrot and orange daily. I think the Beta-Carotine is good for my face.

Fingers crossed it'll work! Even if it doesn't clear them, my general health should benefit

Yeah,why is milk on the hitlist? Cuz maybe I should cut it out.I drink a lot of milk(I'm 20 yrs old) but if it helps,I'm all for it!

Hi, I've found milk to be one of the best things I've cut from my diet, it does have sugar added, plus hormones in it--some say this is why young girls are getting their periods earlier and earlier, plus milk is mucus forming--doctors tell mothers of children with ear infections to avoid dairy because it will often clear up--zits are a form of this mucus--toxins trying to escape the body. If you have allergies with a lot of drainage avoid milk and it does help! Personally, I think acne is hormonal and stress can cause hormone fluxuations as well as insulin spikes. Drink lots of water to flush out toxins and exercise to sweat them out, then enjoy limited junk food, this has worked alot for me. Alli

OK cool, I drink milk at dinner, gonna try to cut that out then and drink water instead :/

How come the natural sugars in fruit don't do the same?

has nothing to do with being natural, it has to do with being complex, and sugars found in fruits are complex.

glucose is the fundamental energy unit used by body. it enters glyco pathway, gets broken down to pyruvate, then it enters the kreb cycle and so on.

now u can think of complex sugars as glucose molecules added together ( such as fructose, starch...). when u consume complex sugar first it needs to be broken down into pieces, then it enters ur blood in form of glucose and enters cells where is broken down through glycolysis. now the simpler the sugar, the faster it gets into ur blood, the complexer the sugar the longer it takes to enter ur blood ( cuz it needs to be broken down into pieces). the sugar in a donut is simple sugar. when u eat the donut

all the sugar content is in ur blood within 15 min. as a result the sugar content of ur blood spikes up. this just does not happen when u consume a banana, cuz sugar in a banana is complex, it enters ur blood gradually over time and does not cause a sudden spike. just remember it this way, complex sugar is good, simple sugar is bad.

pasta?

as far as i know the biggest problem with pasta is its very large sodium/salt content. sugar wise is not an issue, acne wise is not also a major problem ( as long as u consume enough water), but remember that salt is a health threat on its own.

I've noticed that cutting out milk makes me break out less, but then I have this dilemma: where can I get the calcium? I am only 15 and still developing. Sorry for turning this into a nutrition question, first of all.

Calcium supplements? I've asked my dad and he said that I'm full of shit. He tells me - "I'm 40 and I don't even need it. You read too much information and are becoming paranoid."

So, does anyone have suggestions on "clean sugar" calcium sources?

personally i use a calcium supplement i bought at costco. i take two 500 mg calcium pills, plus a multivitamin with 200 mg calcium, which adds to 1200 mg calcium a day, and that should be enough. i also drink soy milk. i dont care what many people say, to me it taste great, just like normal milk. i also consume sour yoghurt, which is really good for the digestive system and is not as bad as milk. i have not cut out cheese out either since i never personally noticed any correlation between cheese and acne ( while i did notice a correlation between acne and milk). i still emphasize though that the most important think to cut out of diet is simple sugar ( i dont even eat sour and sweet chicken at my university anymore, since its sauce contains too much sugar). now if u dont have access to enough supplementary calcium ( i think at ur age u should take at least 1100 mg) i suggest u stick with milk and concentrate more on the regiment and sugar.

I've noticed that cutting out milk makes me break out less, but then I have this dilemma: where can I get the calcium? I am only 15 and still developing. Sorry for turning this into a nutrition question, first of all.

Calcium supplements? I've asked my dad and he said that I'm full of shit.  He tells me - "I'm 40 and I don't even need it. You read too much information and are becoming paranoid."

So, does anyone have suggestions on "clean sugar" calcium sources?

If you're worrying about growing.

I am 17, almost 18, and am 6-5 and almost never drank milk growing up.

I play sports actively and I have only broken one bone.

As far as i'm concerned, MILK does nothing for you.

oh btw, I take a lot of vitamins.

milk eh?

well if you take soy milk and you're a guy...I think you'd be better off taking "whey" milk instead...cuz soy contains estrogen...so just don't drink too much...