Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OK, the old diet and acne debate seems to be rearing its head again and again on these boards. The Oreo Cookie lawsuit in the news recently, brings up the much bigger issue of hydrogenated fats and oils.

My personal feelings are that these transfats could be the real culprit behind many health problems including acne and high cholesterol. Why do I say this? It's because the human body does not know what to do with these man-made fats. It cannot break them down. I exercised religiously and stayed in shape, but found that I could not lower my cholesterol and, at times, it was on the high side. My doctor suggested that snack foods could be the culprit. I did like my junkfood! :D It turns out that snacks and junkfood are loaded with transfats. Why? The use of transfats is a unique and cheap way to extend the shelf-life of food products and create certain consistency in the way foods taste. Doritos, McD's fries...the list goes on and on.

Instead of claiming links between milk, chocolate and other food items with acne, why not examine your own diet for the inclusion of transfats? You would be surprised how prevalent they are in our diets. Check your food labels for any hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils. I will not even touch margarine. BTW, my reduction of ingested transfats in the past year also coincided with a very marked reduction in my adult acne. I look in the mirror and cannot believe the difference. I feel that these transfats migrate to the skin and help to plug sebaceous glands deep beneath the skin leading to cystic and other acne types. If you throw out everything in your fridge and cabinets that contains transfats, and avoid them when you eat outside your home, you will find that you are also eating much healthier.

The food industry is starting to respond. Frito Lay announced that they are eliminating transfats from Doritos and other snack foods. McDonald's is looking for ways to reduce the amount of transfats in their fries. More public awareness of the issue will continue to put pressure on food manufacturers to eliminate this junk from our diets. As you can probably tell, I feel strongly about this issue. Do some research on your own and see if eliminating these bad fats from your diet helps your acne. Good luck.

How then would you explain it that fruitarians and raw-food vegans don't

generally get cured of acne with their diet? Those that I've talked with

said it didn't help (or hurt) them.

Steve

How then would you explain it that fruitarians and raw-food vegans don't

generally get cured of acne with their diet?  Those that I've talked with

said it didn't help (or hurt) them.

Steve

Steve,

I don't know any fruitarians or raw-food vegans, let alone ones with acne! :D I have seen a cause and effect in reducing these transfats from my diet. My cholesterol is where it should be and my acne is under control. I do use some prescription meds, but I have for years without the positive effect that came along about the same time I cut back on transfats. I am just throwing my theory out there for some debate. People like to blame the modern Western diet. I really don't think it's the foods themselves, I feel it's the man-made crap, like transfats, that is put into the foods. It's hard to deny that these transfats are everywhere you look. I'd like some more feedback from others on this issue.

Hey... I thought the original post was very interesting. Humans are defintely not built to handle some of these chemically altered fat molecules ...remember the Olestra ( [-( ) debate. Vom.