Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok, im desperate. My acne isn't BAD BAD but i swear to god if i get anymore i am running to get some roaccutane and to hell with the consequences.

People here keep going on about b5 though, and i suppose its worth a try. However, i have some questions.. Do u get any initial breakout with b5? (i tried some herbal "clear skin" tablets ages years ago..i can't remember what was in it, but i swear it CAUSED me acne).

Also, does it do you any long term damage, and also, does it interfere with any other meds? e.g. the pill...

Thanks for any advice/warnings..

Claire x

I started B5 yesterday.. no new pimples so far...

I've read that lots of people do get an initial break out.. :D

But I'm being very careful not to touch my face.. and to stick to the regimen well..

Good luck to you.

Ok, im desperate. My acne isn't BAD BAD but i swear to god if i get anymore i am running to get some roaccutane and to hell with the consequences.

People here keep going on about b5 though, and i suppose its worth a try. However, i have some questions.. Do u get any initial breakout with b5? (i tried some herbal "clear skin" tablets ages years ago..i can't remember what was in it, but i swear it CAUSED me acne).

Also, does it do you any long term damage, and also, does it interfere with any other meds? e.g. the pill...

Thanks for any advice/warnings..

Claire x

Hi there Claire.

In regards to your questions, I have been on B5 for around 7 or 8 months now and didn't experience a bad breakout when I first started on it. But this was because I started very 4g/day and gradually made my way upto 10g/day. I am now inconsistant with B5 to be honest; some days I will have 10g/day, though other days I will take just 7.5g/day...

And in terms of long term damagae... B5 is not like vitamin A which is oil based so it doesn't stay in the lining of your stomach (?) so the long term damage is eliminated. And to be honest, I don't know whether it will affect other medications because I tend not to be on others. If in doubt, ask your doctor, derm or pharmacist.

Go on Claire, give B5 a go... it doesn't bite (but might make you need the toilet more often!)

the main side effects that have been noted with larger doses of b5 are the following:

- diarrhea

-metabolic imbalance (you will need to take a B-complex with it)

I think most people can benefit from a b5 supplement. The common diet today is somewhat deficient in it, and I've read that the RDA minimum which is all that most multi's have is insufficient (by far). I take 200 mg in addition to the 50 mg in my B-50 complex. About a week after starting that, I was having less problems with stress and allergies. This amount didn't have a noticeable effect on acne however, but it did help my overall health.

The B5 is working very well for me. I noticed a huge difference after 2 days, at 12 grams a day from acne-rid.com.

As for being dangerous, I really doubt it. It's actually very healthy. I'm 29, and I was told I had high cholesterol last year by my doctor. I went again last week, and it's normal now! My father, who's a big health nut, looked at the ingredients in the acne-rid pills 1 and 2, and said it's almost identical to what he's taking to lower his risk of prostate cancer (pantothenic acid, which is the b-5, niacin, zinc, folic acid, which you should take anyway if you have ANY chance of getting preggers, and selenium, to name a few).

Also, pantothenic acid and it's derivative, pantethine, are used by health nuts and body builders to try to lose fat, because they improve lipid (fat and cholesterol) metabolism.

I would definitely recommend it not just for the acne thing, but to improve your health overall.

I also recommend Gerovital, which is procaine as a pill, for everybody. It's amazing, and makes my skin heal faster, from acne or other damage. My sun spots on my left arm (driver's side, you know) have faded a lot, and I attribute my thyroid health (currently normal without medication, was hypo 2 years ago) to taking Gerovital for the last year. Do a search for "Gerovital" on the internet and read up on it. It's practically a panacea! And no counterindications, no side effects, except if you're specifically allergic to procaine, which almost nobody is.

Sierra