Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
user

Neutrogena Skin Clearing Make Up vs. MAC (advice pls...)

Does anyone use 'Neutrogena Skin Clearing Make Up', what do they think?

For around 6 months I have been using the foundation, pressed powder and consealer in this. Each contains around 0.2% salcylic acid and it's very drying however it keep my face shine free nearly all day.

However, I want to change because it makes me look worse, not better when I put it on. Well skin tone and red marks improved but skin texture is terrible. Also people have commented that salcylic acid products can cause breakouts.

I would like to try Jane Iredale mineral makeup but its too expensive. So I think I will try MAC studioFIX, also expensive. The reviews on ciao.co.uk are all good, it just says its a little drying which is fine for me. I have seen a few positive comments on here about it too. Is it really worth the £18 or so? and will it keep my skin shine free for 12 hours (like the Neutrogena one does?)

Could anyone suggest a good consealer that is non-comogenic (is that the word and how you spell it? hehe) and has a shade for very pale skin?

Hey,

I recommend you stop using drying products with such frequency in make-up. It is enough to apply a normal anti-blemish preparation, with a few other complementing products. 0.2% Salicylic acid is a tenth of the usual 2% in most anti-pimple gels, so it might be the make-up which is doing it (although by what you say this doesn't seem to be the case).

Have you tried Napoleon Perdis Minimal Make-Up? MAC StudioFix is good, but it might not match your colour (just go to a stand at a department store and ask them to help you find the right colour in the right coverage (sheer, moderate or full) which is oil-free and non-comedogenic).

Ask them if they have a special foundation with a mattifying formula. Lancome has a special mattifying foundation called Maquicontrole or Teint Idole, the former of which is a sheer to moderate coverage with mattifying compunds, whilst the latter is a more resistant and full coverage.

However, L'Oreal does own Lancome, so why don't you try to find the right shade of Ideal Balancing Foundation (For Combination Skin) or Mattique (Mattifying Formula For Oily, Blemish-Prone Skin).

And as an end, make sure you apply your foundation properly. Do not use a synthetic or natural sponge, both waste product (totally unaccepatable with the money you spend on the foundation), and the synthetic one absorbs oil and debris. Instead, use a clean finger or a special foundation brush (MAC has them). Apply on freshly cleansed, toned and moisturised skin which you may choose to prep with milk of magnesia (from your chemist - for staying power and matteness) and a foundation prep. If you choose to get milk of magnesia, choose a flavourless, sugarless variety since they are sold as antacids and laxatives. The sugarless, flavourless variety may contain sodium saccharin, but it won't feel sticky or sugary since it's artificial sweetner. For a matte finish and to set the foundation, you might want to use a setting powder on top.

I used to use the skin clearing foundation. It used to dry up on my skin within a few hours, drying my skin even with moisturizer, and looking like spackle within a few hours. On the bright side, it was about the only liquid foundation I've ever used that didn't get oily and/or make me break out.

I don't like MAC studiofix, because it settles in the creases in my face, where I'm oily (like my nose)... however, I'm a huge MAC fan, and I love their SPF 15 foundation. It is lightweight, non-comdeogenic, and doesn't leave my skin shiny :D

Hi,

Just make sure you apply your foundation only where needed, like on the chin, under the eyes and some areas of the cheeks as a fix and not a mask, unless you want to even out the whole face. In this case use a minimal foundation like Napoleon Minimal Foundation or Lancome Maquicontrole.

Cliche I know but true, let your natural beauty shine through.

Hi,

Just make sure you apply your foundation only where needed, like on the chin, under the eyes and some areas of the cheeks as a fix and not a mask, unless you want to even out the whole face. In this case use a sheer ot moderate coverage foundation like Napoleon Minimal Foundation or Lancome Maquicontrole.

Make sure you apply it properly using either a *clean* finger or a special brush which will make sure your make-up looks more natural and lasts longer. Make sure you apply it on freshly cleansed, toned, moisturised/sun protected skin which has been primed with either a normal primer or a colour correcting one. Apply your concealer, then foundation, followed by a setting powder, bronzer/blush.

Cliche I know but true, let your natural beauty shine through.

I have never tried Neutrogena Skin Clearing makeup so I can't speak to that.

I have used MAC Studio Fix and I like it very much.

Whereas the Jane Iredale (which I also like) is more natural looking, I feel that the MAC might cover a bit better, but it's a trade off because it isn't as good for your skin.

Though the Jane Iredale makeup is expensive, I think it's worth it -- In my opinion, it lasts longer than the MAC does and it's better for your skin. But the ultimate choice is your's.

I found a website, www.whosthefairest.com, where you can buy $6 sample sizes of jane iredale mineral foundations. This is great for those of you who want to try it but don't want to buy the espensive full size right away. The sample size lasted me over a week. I liked it because it looked really natural, but I would like something with a little more coverage. I tried the pressed and the loose minerals and I thought that the pressed looked better. Also, it did not do a great job of preventing shine so I think if I ordered a full size I would also have to order their seperate mattifying powder.

Try out the Neutrogena Skin Clearing Oil-Free COMPACT makeup (the cream powder one). By using a good moisturizer (I use cetaphil) about 15 minutes before applying the makeup...you shouldn't have caking. Do NOT use MAC...although MAC covers wonderfully it has a LOT of potential to cause breakouts. In addition...if you do decide to use mineral makeups make sure it does NOT include talc or bismuth oxide ...these two ingredients are known to irritate skin.

I've been using the neutrogena skin clearing oil-free compact for 8 years and I can honestly say that it's the only makeup I know for SURE doesn't cause breakouts (and I've tried many others). It also helped fade my hyperpigmentation. I'm really really upset though because I can't find it in stores lately...only online :/

I actually RECOMMEND MAC products. Sure some people have reported breakouts, but many have not. It all depends on your skin, which is unique. Why not try it out? I will say that MAC mineralized SPF 15 Foundation loose powder has not broken me out and, of all the loose powders I have tried in the past, has covered the best. Unlike Neutrogena, MAC is extremely finely milled. The coverage is medium-buildable and if you put another layer on, it won't look cakey! It looks as if you have one layer (despite building up a bit for more coverage).

MAC is more expensive than Neutrogena, but for oily skin this loose powder is fantastic and is definitely worth the price (costs around $29).