Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I decided to wait a while after my last Fraxel experience before posting my experience with Fraxel. I am a 38 yr old white male. I completed 4 fraxels at pulse settings in this order 8,10,9,8. I spaced the treatments 9-12 days apart. I completed my last treatment 6 weeks ago. With the exception of the first one, I must admit that they hurt allot. Like having skin pealed from your face type feeling, like iron to your face hot. It nothing that most people can't take if you grin and bear. It's helpful to use a small fan and cold pack after every few passes when you feel hot.

I had the Fraxel treatments to help clear up moderate to severe sun damage (my face looked reddish toned before treatment started), some superficial scars, hyperpigmentation, a few sebaceous hyperplasia, and talangelascia.

About a week after the second treatment I noticed 4 new small round white scars. About the size of a dull pencil tip on the back of my cheeks and in front of my ear. Hardly noticeable, but nonetheless present and accounted for. The treatment at level 10 was too strong for me. So, my recommendation is; if you’re unsure of what you can handle, I would only get the treatments done at level 8 to avoid scarring. Even though Fraxel prints on their website that levels 8-10 are low settings. Frankly, I heard of people getting treatments done even higher than 10 with no problems so everyone is different.

Now six weeks after my last treatment, the hyperpigmentation lessened by about 65 to 75%, a far greater improvement than what I got from the 5 IPL treatments and one Levulan treatment last year.

My face is still hyperpigmented but a light to medium brown now. I will still have to use hydroquinone every week. Daily, I use a free radical remover with idebenone by Puredeming since it has not caused me to breakout in acne like my experience with Prevage. Idebenone also lessens hyperpigmentation but not to the extent that hydroquinone does.

Fraxel helped the superficial scar and facial nicks lessen by about 70%. Remember these are superficial, and were not into the epidermis very deep. Don't expect as much with deep scars. Facial texturing improves dramatically. Meaning allot of red or offcolor marks lighten or blend more in with your skin color than before. Unfortunately, the Fraxel does nearly nothing for sebaceous hyperplasia. I may try the smoothbeam in the near future. FYI: I do not recommend electrocauterization for sebaceous hyperplasia since it leaves a large hole after healing. Mild, to very mild wrinkles improved 40%. Very little ground was gained with the telangelascia on the nose, which is where I had my concern.

Hope this all helps. Given everything I experienced, I would recommend the Fraxel. It is still the safest treatment available from everything I researched so far. Good luck!

I decided to wait a while after my last Fraxel experience before posting my experience with Fraxel. I am a 38 yr old white male. I completed 4 fraxels at pulse settings in this order 8,10,9,8. I spaced the treatments 9-12 days apart.  I completed my last treatment 6 weeks ago. With the exception of the first one, I must admit that they hurt allot. Like having skin pealed from your face type feeling, like iron to your face hot. It nothing that most people can't take if you grin and bear.  It's helpful to use a small fan and cold pack after every few passes when you feel hot.

I had the Fraxel treatments to help clear up moderate to severe sun damage (my face looked reddish toned before treatment started), some superficial scars, hyperpigmentation, a few sebaceous hyperplasia, and talangelascia.

About a week after the second treatment I noticed 4 new small round white scars.  About the size of a dull pencil tip on the back of my cheeks and in front of my ear. Hardly noticeable, but nonetheless present and accounted for. The treatment at level 10 was too strong for me. So, my recommendation is; if you’re unsure of what you can handle, I would only get the treatments done at level 8 to avoid scarring.  Even though Fraxel prints on their website that levels 8-10 are low settings.  Frankly,  I heard of people getting treatments done even higher than 10 with no problems so everyone is different. 

Now six weeks after my last treatment, the hyperpigmentation lessened by about 65 to 75%, a far greater improvement than what I got from the 5 IPL treatments and one Levulan treatment last year.

My face is still hyperpigmented but a light to medium brown now.  I will still have to use hydroquinone every week. Daily, I use a free radical remover with idebenone by Puredeming since it has not caused me to breakout in acne like my experience with Prevage. Idebenone also lessens hyperpigmentation but not to the extent that hydroquinone does. 

Fraxel helped the superficial scar and facial nicks lessen by about 70%. Remember these are superficial, and were not into the epidermis very deep. Don't expect as much with deep scars. Facial texturing improves dramatically. Meaning allot of red or offcolor marks lighten or blend more in with your skin color than before. Unfortunately, the Fraxel does nearly nothing for sebaceous hyperplasia. I may try the smoothbeam in the near future. FYI: I do not recommend electrocauterization for sebaceous hyperplasia since it leaves a large hole after healing. Mild, to very mild wrinkles improved 40%. Very little ground was gained with the  telangelascia on the nose, which is where I had my concern.

Hope this all helps. Given everything I experienced, I  would recommend the Fraxel. It is still the safest treatment available from everything I researched so far. Good luck!

Yes the peeling lasted 4-5 days after the Fraxel treatment. I stayed red for a long time afterword. The shedding lasted me 4-5 days and subsided to almost imperceptible level thereafter. At least twice every day I applied a noncomedogenic moisterizer like kinerase or suntan lotion. Curious how pulse level six helps you since that is really more of a facial peel level. Let us know if it yields any results.

I believe renovo's drug coming out in 4-5 years gives some hope to those who are looking for scar relief. Since ultimately with scars you are looking for pigmentation and texturing to match the other skin, Fraxel will do little for this dynamic unless the scar is extremely small. I believe the Fraxel works good for increasing thickness to scars that are depressed, and for others removing some scar tissue that is elevated above the skin surface. My small scar was elevated "T" shaped, and after treatment it changed to an "l" shape and was less elevated.

Yes the peeling lasted 4-5 days after the Fraxel treatment. I stayed red for a long time afterword. The shedding lasted me 4-5 days and subsided to almost imperceptible level thereafter. At least twice every day I applied a noncomedogenic moisterizer like kinerase or suntan lotion. Curious how pulse level six helps you since that is really more of a facial peel level. Let us know if it yields any results.

I believe renovo's drug coming out in 4-5 years gives some hope to those who are looking for scar relief. Since ultimately with scars you are looking for pigmentation and texturing to match the other skin, Fraxel will do little for this dynamic unless the scar is extremely small.  I believe the Fraxel works good for increasing thickness to  scars that are depressed, and for others removing some scar tissue that is elevated above the skin surface. My small scar was elevated "T" shaped, and  after treatment it changed to an "l" shape and was less elevated.

Do you think I need to increase the level to see more results?  I think she just wanted to test my skin to see how I would react to it.  8-10 just seem so high!  I don't know if me skin could handle it.  I am seeing some results from one treatment, but I think i'll see a lot more after 4 or 5.  What is this drug that you are mentioned from renovo?  I am curious!

Do you think I need to increase the level to see more results?  I think she just wanted to test my skin to see how I would react to it.  8-10 just seem so high!  I don't know if me skin could handle it.  I am seeing some results from one treatment, but I think i'll see a lot more after 4 or 5.  What is this drug that you are mentioned from renovo?  I am curious!

I would stay with level six if it works for you. I needed level 8 because of sun damage.

Renovo is a drug that suppresses a gene that known to cause scarring. It works when it is injected in the wound margins following an injury. Not sure how it is used on old scars. The drug is entering its final Phase 3 trials before it can be used by docters. You can read up on it at Renovo.com. Good Luck

Midlman - one more question for you: when did you start to see results from the Fraxel.  I know that it only treats about 17-25% per treatment so it probably is just wishful thinking to see results after the first treatment.  I notice some minor improvements, but not enough.  When did you start to notice changes in your skin's texture?

I noticed some positive changes after the first treatment. By the way the Fraxel (Reliant)company lists 5-7 days between treatments as acceptable. I would suggest waiting 2 weeks or more between treatments. I followed all the required protocols 9-12 days, low pulse settings 8-10 and still had some near imperceptible but nonetheless minor scarring. Who wants small white spots? Anyone? In fact it left a 2" line on my temple that still hasn't totally healed 7 weeks post. It also removed some of my facial hair which  appears to be permanent. Leaving a 3" usual streak of bare skin on the face.

Take the treatments slowlym and if you want to be sure stay at level 6-8 settings. Unless your feeling real lucky. It wasn't until after my

4th treatment that I felt I I had more consistent texturing throughout my skin. I may need a 5th treatment, but am waiting 2months plus  after my last treatment.

Midlman - thanks for the info.  I think you made a good point about level 6 being more like a facial peel.  I think she just wanted to test my skin and how it reacted.  I think maybe next time I'll try a 7...do you think an 8 would be too much of a jump?  I am looking forward to seeing consistent texturing along my chin area.  I hope this works b/c my scars are extremely shallow and I have marks that I want to diminish with this laser.

Guest delta force operators

lil nics u mean like shaving cuts.scrath type scars???

Midlman, I'm curious. You referred to wrinkle treatment, also. Was treatment done under your entire lower eyelid area? I ask because I have very minor rhytids forming around my eyes, and while Smoothbeam (along my orbital bones only) has helped, I'm wonder if Fraxel is better and can be used under the entire lower eyelid.

Midlman, I'm curious. You referred to wrinkle treatment, also. Was treatment done under your entire lower eyelid area? I ask because I have very minor rhytids forming around my eyes, and while Smoothbeam (along my orbital bones only) has helped, I'm wonder if Fraxel is better and can be used under the entire lower eyelid.

I noticed some positive changes after the first treatment. By the way the Fraxel (Reliant)company lists 5-7 days between treatments as acceptable. I would suggest waiting 2 weeks or more between treatments. I followed all the required protocols 9-12 days, low pulse settings 8-10 and still had some near imperceptible but nonetheless minor scarring. Who wants small white spots? Anyone? In fact it left a 2" line on my temple that still hasn't totally healed 7 weeks post. It also removed some of my facial hair which  appears to be permanent. Leaving a 3" usual streak of bare skin on the face.

Take the treatments slowlym and if you want to be sure stay at level 6-8 settings. Unless your feeling real lucky. It wasn't until after my

4th treatment that I felt I I had more consistent texturing throughout my skin. I may need a 5th treatment, but am waiting 2months plus  after my last treatment.

I am curious what your Dr said about the hair loss since the laser does not supposedidly do anything to the hair folicle. Also is this 3 inch patch also 3 inches in both directions? Did it happen over several treatments since each treatment only covers 20 % ? I am due to have my first one Mon and certainly do not want to lose hair because things will just look worse. Can you give more detail on your minor scarring? I only have minor scarring in the first place so I don't want to look worse. Thank you so much for your help.

hi guys keep us posted on Fraxel it will be here in Australia soon and although I don't think I would risk laser again...u never know. Am VERY curious about what it does for superficial scarring. Keep us posted and thanks again J

hi guys keep us posted on Fraxel it will be here in Australia soon and although I don't think I would risk laser again...u never know.  Am VERY curious about what it does for superficial scarring.  Keep us posted and thanks again J

Floridaguy,

Yes Isologen has been pulled and I was devastated. It was the procedure I was really holding out for. As far as I know it is not up and running again. If anyone else has any information when it will be back up I would really appreciate this. Also floridaguy, I think the fraxel and isologen together would be great. How do u think this combo should be done. Have the isologen injections first then the fraxel or the other way around; or simultaneously....am thinking about this when isologen is back in Australia...

I am curious what your Dr said about the hair loss since the laser does not supposedidly do anything to the hair folicle. Also is this 3 inch patch also 3 inches in both directions? Did it happen over several treatments since each treatment only covers 20 % ? I am due to have my first one Mon and certainly do not want to lose hair because things will just look worse. Can you give more detail on your minor scarring? I only have minor scarring in the first place so I don't want to look worse. Thank you so much for your help.

Floridaguy,

Yes Isologen has been pulled and I was devastated.  It was the procedure I was really holding out for.  As far as I know it is not up and running again.  If anyone else has any information when it will be back up I would really appreciate this.  Also floridaguy, I think the fraxel and isologen together would be great.  How do u think this combo should be done.  Have the isologen injections first then the fraxel or the other way around; or simultaneously....am thinking about this when isologen is back in Australia...