Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RM1985

Thinking of asking my doctor to get me on accutane, but...

I'm very concerned about all the side effects... I can live with dry skin and lips, but I don't wanna lose any hair or have my night vision decreased. For the folks who have had experience with accutance, are any of these side effects permanent?

Hi,

I experienced dry lips, but more so in the early weeks than later on. Dry skin only in the first week. Hair loss after I went off accutane, but only temporary. And I was pretty sensitive to sunlight. For me the benefits far outweigh the side effects. But you may respond differently to it ...

Hi :D

Ive not long ago finished my 2nd course of Accutane and my skins doing really well. I was SOOO nervous that I came close to not starting my first course at all, after hearing all the side-effects, but it really wasn't at all bad for me and I was on a high dose (70mg daily for 6 months, both times).

I had really dy skin (my legs were the worst), cracked lips and 1 nose-bleed but then I expected those. I just slapped E45 cream all over my body at night and kept my lips coated it vaseline. You do need to be very careful in the sun though. I got a mild case of sunburn that just would not heal for weeks.

Id say try it and see how it goes. at least if you can't cope with the side-effects you can stop straight away. I think its been given to much scary publicity.

Vanessa xxx

I wouldnt let those concerns worry you too much. I had a very positive experience with accutane, which I took four years ago. I havent any long-term sideaffects and the thinning hair and nightvision you speak of are definitely not the norm. Just be prepared for dry skin and lips/eyes/nose. I actually did my treatment without moisturizer as I didnt really care about the flaky skin.

Honestly, taking accutane has been one of the best decisions of my life. It allowed me to actually feel good about the way I looked and have social life again. I would definitely do it all over again if I had the choice.

Andrew

Id try to see if theirs any non ablative lasers in your area before id try accutane you see instant results with these.