Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I think all of us who are post CO2 should share our knowledge about what to do now. For me, I now have

1.rosacea and blotchiness

2.large pores/orange peel

I think the thing to know first off is that your skin will never be the way it was before and your lifestyle may need to be altered. If you develop rosacea certain things like the sun and even exercise can be problems.

As far as the orange peel goes, I dont know...maybe that is for life. I saw a few posts about needling that my help, but after reading the entire needling thread I saw noone that claimed this would work except those who didnt have orange peel.

Things we should stay away from are peels, microdermabrasion, retin-a, basically any harsh chemicals. So guess what, I am not sure how you combat the blotchy skin and large pores/orange peel.

So what to do now?

Perhaps the best answer is nothing since further damage is easily encountered?

How does isolagen help with rosacea or pores/orange peel?

Is smooth beam just another IPL type treatment? I have found those to be largely useless and may help for only very minor imperfections.

Looking for real solutions...at this point there just isnt enough known about it. I dont think it should be part of the core solution at this point.

From what I read, Isolagen is effective in improving the appearance of the skin for burn victims. I think its because it introduces millions of collagen producing cells that have a smooth skin memory and thus help to mimic the look of normal skin.

I read on another board, maybe voyforums, that some guy went to a tattoo artist and paid for an inkless face tatoo all over his post CO2 orange peel skin. Apparently this made his skin a lot softer and look like normal skin. If this does work then it is a brand new development and would explain the lack of info/evidence available online.

I'm 4 days post my 2nd CO2 treatment and the swelling is going steadily down. I'm looking at around 60-80% improvement right now, but I guess that will drop to 40-60% once the swelling has gone and hopefully will go back up again once the collagen starts to grow. [-o<

Yeah, WAY too early to see the results. Give it a few months to truly assess. As far as needling goes, after reading most of the needling thread I see little evidence to support that it will improve orange peel. It may, but at this point it is nothing more than a crapshoot. Same with isolagen...sounds interesting, but this is not a proven technique for orange peel by any means.

If you go to the main isolagen website and look at the photos there is a woman who's forehead is badly burned and looks much more better after the alleged Isolagen treatment. It makes me wonder if our skin texture is more of a burns issue and if silicon and Vitamin E may help. Have you tried either of these?

A friend who's a nurse who has also had some laser resurfacing done sent me an email tonight after I asked her about roseacea. This is what she told me...

"I don't know which type of laser your doctor used - Erbium YAG or CO2 but in both types of treatment, Erythma (inflammatory redness of skin) - is expected as this is part of the healing process. This usually lasts up to around twelve weeks whilst the skin is healing and collagen is being formed.....Roseacea on the other hand tends to be blotchy and feels like the first stages of a zit. It sometimes occurs after laser skin peel especially if one was prone to acne prior to laser treatment. Usually, this is transitory (after laser). But it is recommended to be treated so as to prevent further scarring. Treatment consists of oral tetracycline in doses ranging from 250 mg daily to 500 mg three times a day over a few months.

To avoid further episodes of roseacea, one should avoid extremes of temperature and if out in strong sunlight and high winds, to use high factor sunscreens.

To answer your question about me, no I didn't but I think it was prevented when I had to start the antibiotics for the strep infection a few days after the laser. My skin is blotchy due to hypo-pigmentation which can take yonks to resolve. I'm naturally blonde and fair skinned which makes me more prone to hypo-pigmentation apparently ... one of the bummers of being blonde I guess."

Thankfully I was given antibiotics both times I had the resurfacing done. Also I remembered that my derm said hypopigmentation is very rarely permanent, but often can take years to normalise.

I would caution you to treat your skin very gently for up to 6 months or thereabouts after your laser resurfacing.

About a month and a half after the procedure, I started to break out in large cysts. Doxycycline did not help, and it gave me bad heartburn.

I would wash my face with Cetaphil, but the acne kept getting worse, so my doctor sold me a Salicylic face wash and a solution to dab on the cysts. It helped a bit, but not much. I kept on getting cysts of all sizes.

About 5 months post-op, I started to use mild exfoliants, in an effort to help the severe acne. BIG MISTAKE--I scrubbed too hard (which before my laser resurfacing would have been considered light rubbing) and just worsen the cystic acne to the point where I had tons of breakouts.

It seems like any rubbing on my skin, no matter how gentle, was causing my skin to erupt. I discovered this method to wash my face:

I fill the sink with hot water. I squirt in a small amount of BPeroxide facial wash (I use Proactive's) in the water. Using a clean washcloth, I soak it in the solution, wring it out, and press it gently against my face. I rinse out the washcloth and apply it to my face several times to clean it. I do NO RUBBING at all. I noticed right away this helped my skin to get less irritated, although I still was breaking out.

My doctor stated that 1 out of 100 people that he's treated with laser resurfacing winds up with bad breakouts afterwards, so if you're still prone to breakouts before laser, make sure you get on an antibiotic right away afterwards. Better to be safe than sorry.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND resurfacing, but if you get it, be sure to treat your skin VERY GENTLY for the next six to eight months.