Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lopezthehobo

retin-a may cause scarring?

OK, for a while i thought retin-a was quite helpful for me. After using it for about 6 months, it had helped keep me clear (along with doxycycline), and even helped out with some very shallow scarring/discoloration i had. This winter, I unfortunatly had a series of many painful cysts on my foreheads (i guess my doxy had stopped working by then), which didn't really stop until I started a new regimin of supplements and herbs that actually seemed to stop any new cysts and allow the ones that i had time to heal. During this time I continued to use retin-a. and now that the lesions on my forehaed have gone down, I can already see that Ive got a bunch of new indented scars on the lower half of my forehaed,plus a lot of tiny pin-prick type scars . The scarring is certainly not too severe, but still a bit disconcerting, especially considering this is the first time Ive ever been scarred like this without having touched my skin at all, (my only other real scars are the result of me picking and piercing acne when i was younger and didn't know any better.) Ive had similar cysts on my forehead in the past that have left no marks. So what I;m thinking is, perhaps the nightly use of retin-a made my skin thinner, thus allowing me to scar easier than I normally would have from these cysts. I know I've read a few similar things from peple on various boards, especially the voy forums (id give a link, but voy forum is not so well-organized and i haven't been able to find the post since i read it!). By the way, during this time i only used retin-a during nighttime, never during the day- only moisturizer/sunscreen in daytime.

So...does anybody else have any similar experiences? Or am I just being paranoid about a good treatment?

I started using Retin A about a year ago and all of a sudden my face started scarring ALOT.I never used to scar at all . I though this was from the Retin A so I quit using it

No, same thing happened to me. Read my reply on this thread and notice the differences:

http://acne.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=5226

I never had the terrible acne I described in that post until about after year 1 of my Retin-A treatment. The cysts on my forehead just kept coming and never stopped, and all my derm did was prescribe another antibiotic pill. These cysts were strange in that they popped up and then just emptied out their contents in the span of one day, but bled like crazy!! I reached the point where I just accepted it in high school. Luckily, the scars are not that bad, but there are many on my forehead.

Retin-A just totally screwed up my skin, but I had to keep using it since it seemed like it held my acne in check for a couple of years after that.

I also noticed that my I developed strange acne while on Retin-A: I would develop little hard bumps that were acne, but never produced a whitehead like mine usually did. Rather, it would sit on my face for about a month or more before finally developing into a huge, bloated puss-head. Several of these have left small scars. I never had this until I started using this crap.

Before I started Retin-A, I had about 4 scars from picking at my skin. I used to be able to get a nice dark tan and was never sensitive to sunlight, never burned, just tanned.

In 7 years of Retin-A/tetracycline use, I have the same scars and many smaller ones, rosacea from sun exposure on Retin-A, and just bad skin overall.

Needless to say, if I could do it over, Retin-A would not have been part of my life! ](*,)

I also noticed that my I developed strange acne while on Retin-A: I would develop little hard bumps that were acne, but never produced a whitehead like mine usually did. Rather, it would sit on my face for about a month or more before finally developing into a huge, bloated puss-head. Several of these have left small scars. I never had this until I started using this crap.

This is interesting, because I always wonder if using retin-a gave me my condition. I know RAM changes gene expression, epithelization, and other deep skin changes. It would also explain why they think I rub my skin(I don't). The RAM is irritating to the skin and by shedding the skin cells is in effect, like rubbing.

I was off the retin-a for almost a year though, and would think the bumps would've gone away after not using the RAM for that time.

I've been using retin a 0.05% (every other night) for 5 months now.

I'm very happy with it so far. I'm sorry to hear that you've had problems with it.

I know that with most things there's always an unwanted side effect, so I've been keeping an eye out for any problems.

I'm considering changing over to Skinoren sometime soon. It's 20% azelaic acid cream, which is a natural AHA from wheat.

Take care and thanks for sharing.

i started to use retin-a as a treatment for sun damaged skin ...and yes, i developed skars during the past 6-8 month (i use retin-a for almost a year)...i got my skars from electrolysis and "acne picking"... that is why i am on this forum right now... sad.gif but i think that if i do not touch my skin AT ALL, i wouldn't have scars during retin-a treatment... when i just started retin-a, my plan was to use it EVERY day for about a year , then after a year use it 1-3 times a week (just for support)... since i have new scars, right now i have to change my plans and extend the treatment for more 6-12 month of retin-a (every day use) ](*,)

it is hard to admit but i almost wish to get my old skin back even with sun damage! that doesn't mean that retin-a is bad, it just means that one have to think twise before "touching" the face during the treatment

btw, the scars are not too bad though....

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

I thought retina micro supposed to HELP scars???

retin-a does help with some scars but the skin treated with retin-a is very fragile and easy to "break"...

retin-a ...isn`t that just a gel form of Accutane....

Accutane can make your skin very red and fragile and prone to scarring so it follows that retin-a is equally capable of such side effects.

Isn't the theory behind retin-a and scar reduction that it helps the skin flake off therefore causing cells to regenerate? I've seen this theory depicted in derm's offices. I have mixed feelings on this theory but have still been using retin-a on and off for many years. I sometimes feel if I use retin-a every day, it gives my skin a some-what rougher appearance. However when I use it maybe 1-2 times a week sparingly, it seems to improve the skin texture. I suppose there is such a thing as thinning out the skin too much? Possibly weakening the supporting collagen? Just a theory. Anyway, in my experience, I think it could possibly help a new lesion from forming a scar when used before it is completely healed, however, I'm not certain of this. I can recall a few instances which it seemed to help the skin from a healing blemish to the point of little to no scarring. I may have read this somewhere as well.

hmm... as far as i know, retin-a stimulates collagen production... i have seen the statement on other forums that there was a study conducted by J&J which shows very significant increase in collagen after 2 years of retin-a treatment...would be nice to see the results of the study...

I sometimes feel if I use retin-a every day, it gives my skin a some-what rougher appearance. However when I use it maybe 1-2 times a week sparingly, it seems to improve the skin texture. .

Hmmm...I've been back on Retina for the last three months or so.....my derm just wrote me a prescription for a stronger concentration. Well, I haven't had any breakouts from using Retina, probably because I am taking Septra also. But since I already paid for the prescription, I'm going to use it all up. I've never stuck with Retina for a long time enough for me to say if it works or not...this time I'll give it a try...then I'll decide if I should still use it. But I agree with some of the earlier comments about Retina giving you those really weird bumps that can scar later...I think I had some of those when I first tried Retina.

I've been using retin-a off and on for possibly 15 years. I just recently got the generic kind "treotin (?)". Honestly, I like this one the best. It's the creme kind. Ive tried the gel in different strengths as well as the cremes and also retin-a micro, which personally I didn't care for that much. I think if anything, retin-a may slightly help very small scars and again, seems to have made my skin look rougher and worse upon using every day. For me, it seems to work best used only a few times a week. I normally don't use it all over my face though, just spot treatments and a few areas.

To the people that responded they only use retin-a a few times a week: I read that in order to be effective it needs to be used everyday. Maybe they haven't done studies on people using it less than daily(I'm pretty sure they haven't), but I just wanted to let you know.

Also, results don't usually start to show until 6 months of use for wrinkles.

I did see a research article on an increase in collagen for people using retin-a, but it wasn't J&J. I wonder how long the increase in collagen lasts though? After a certain amount of time do you think it plateaus?

I love Retin-A micro.

I have been using it for about 3 weeks now.

I am a judo player / wrestler, needless to say my face rubs on quite a bit throughout practice. Am I risking bigtime permanent scarring if I use Retin-A micro? Is there any precautions I can take while wrestling / judo while still on Retin A Micro? Like maybe if i were to use a strong lotion? or Use super cop after?

I really don't want to quit one for the other as I LOVE both.

Also, Does Retin-A Micro cause HYPOpigmentation?

Just like to say that eventhough I only use retin a every other day,I'm having fantastic results.

I understand the implications that retin-a may not be as effective if not used daily but i think different regimines may work for different people. In my case, daily use seemed to make my skin ultra sensitive to everything as well as make it appear rough and more wrinkled. If you can stay out of direct sunlight, it may actually work for wrinkles but i live in the sun belt here and found it impossible to completely block the sun from my face.

i have a question for retin-a users:

is your face still red after 6 and more month of the treatment?

I've been using retin-a off and on for possibly 15 years. I just recently got the generic kind \"treotin (?)\". Honestly, I like this one the best. .

I love Retin-A micro.  

I have been using it for about 3 weeks now.  

I am a judo player / wrestler, needless to say my face rubs on quite a bit throughout practice.  Am I risking bigtime permanent scarring if I use Retin-A micro?  Is there any precautions I can take while wrestling / judo while still on Retin A Micro?  Like maybe if i were to use a strong lotion?  or Use super cop after?

I really don't want to quit one for the other as I LOVE both.

Lopezthehobo: I don't think that Retin-A is likely to cause scarring. It's actually supposed to help with scarring by helping the skin turnover follicules.

What generally causes this type of scarring is your body's response to the cysts and how the body heals itself. Also - Just because you don't touch a pimple/cyst doesn't mean that you won't get scarring. A lot depends upon the type of wound, if you are prone to scarring, the strength of your immune system at the time of the wound, etc....

why is super cop a HUGE NO NO?

retin-a + salicylic acid = disaster!

what doesw the combo of retin-a micro & sal. acid create? a bad chem reaction?

i have used both before and my skin improved greatly.

When you mean be extremely careful... what precautions should i take?

thank you so much.