Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mouse

how long can i take doryx for?

I asked this same question a number of weeks ago, and the general consensus was that you can take it for as long as your body doesn't develop a resistance to it. Usually, people start developing resistance after a year and the pimples come back, but for others, it's sooner or maybe later. I've been on it for about two months now.

It has worked really well. The worst thing about having acne is waking up in the morning with new zits on your face, and there's nothing you could have done to prevent them. It's like you have no control over it. Since I've taken Doryx, I don't wake up with zits on my face anymore. Sure, I still get a pimple here and there now and again, but they aren't the red angry zits. They're more like red bumps, and I just ice them with an ice cube, and they go away after a few days...and they're easily camoflauged with make-up. I have mild acne, though, so that's why I saw results only after a few weeks. Generally, it takes about two months to see complete results on your face...but my mild acne on my back cleared up immensely within a few weeks.

I take the 100mg pills...twice daily, but I'm reducing it to once daily because my derm said that with the sun during the summer, it's better to reduce it since Doryx can make you sensitive to sunlight. You can check out my Personal Log that charts my progress in the other forums. It's called My Log: Duac and Doyxcycline.

did you get any initial breakout at all? i have the bottle of Doryx sitting here, but I'm scared to take the pills b/c i dont want to break out- right now my skin is under control and doesnt look bad. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanx.

wow 2 100 mg a day and you have mild acne? i thought the normal dosage was 100 mg a day(which is what i am currently taking). As far as an initial breakout, ive been taking it for about 4 days and i havent seen anything.

I didn't experience any intial breakout. I don't think you're supposed to. Well, I am very very very anal about my skin. I had a peaches and cream, buttermilk complexion up until seven months ago. I never broke out...ever. SO, to start getting acne so suddenly was a shock to me and very traumatic. If my skin isn't absolutely perfect, I get really depressed and upset. So, my derm knows that, and that's why he prescribed me 2 100mg tablets per day....to get rid of the acne quicker.

I hope not. Some people don't ever develop resistance anyway. So, I don't really know the answer to that. Starting next week, I'm reducing it to one tablet per day as maintenance, now that the acne is mostly gone.