Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wildrose

Question About Accutane & Hair

Ok so I've got one more month of treatment left and right now I hate my hair color which is naturally medium brown but now has honey blonde highlights, so it looks sort of odd since a lot of my hair has outgrown in the 3 months I've been on accutane. I've been on accutane once but I don't remember everything about it, it was two years ago. When will my hair get its oil back? When can I dye it again? eusa_think.gif

I know I've said it a few times, but for anyone who doesn't know- I do hair.

That being said, I don't take accutane..nor have I had any clients who told me they were on it. In my opinion, coloring your hair during accutane is up to a few factors. Your hair can be dry but still healthy.. If you are dry, damaged and brittle.. stay away from dye. Leave it up to your stylist, basically... I think it wouldn't do too much harm...of course you are risking losing hair, or burning your hair... but if you do a conditioner filler you might be ok... so just go to a good salon, have them take a looksee, tell them you are on accutane and what it does to your hair.... and they'll make the judgement call.

Thank you Frankie,

I have great hair, even while on the tane, not dry but I also spend a lot on my hair to keep it great looking, I don't blow dry or use heat on it. I have very straight smooth hair and don't want to ruin it. I have been under a great deal of stress at work (huge things going on) and plus having a home life added to that I have noticed that I am getting grey hair. I pulled some of them out, nobody on both sides of my family got grey until their 40's and I am just about to hit 25. Nobody says they can see them but I can and I need to get rid of them. I have back to back business trips for the next two months and need to look my best, my skin finally looks great though so even if I cannot dye it till I am done with the tane that is ok cuz the tane has done wonders and is 100000% worth it! I am going to ask my derm about the dye then go to a salon and see what options I have right now.

Thanks again sweetie! biggrin.gif

You are very welcome! I am so happy for you- so your skin is clear!? What a great feeling.

I think that asking your derm is a great idea. You definately don't want to ruin your hair!!! Especially if it's survived the tane thus far.. So, just be totally sure before doing anything. You can always do a demi or semi permanent if you are going dark because theres little to no peroxide in those types of colors..they are considered "deposit" only. Therefore, there is nothing in them to damage the hair..they actually leave it looking conditioned in most cases. So, if you can go darker or if your natural haircolor is somewhat dark.. you can probably get away with using a demi/semi and be fine.

Thank you Frankie,

I have great hair, even while on the tane, not dry but I also spend a lot on my hair to keep it great looking, I don't blow dry or use heat on it.  I have very straight smooth hair and don't want to ruin it.  I have been under a great deal of stress at work (huge things going on) and plus having a home life added to that I have noticed that I am getting grey hair.  I pulled some of them out, nobody on both sides of my family got grey until their 40's and I am just about to hit 25.  Nobody says they can see them but I can and I need to get rid of them.  I have back to back business trips for the next two months and need to look my best, my skin finally looks great though so even if I cannot dye it till I am done with the tane that is ok cuz the tane has done wonders and is 100000% worth it!  I am going to ask my derm about the dye then go to a salon and see what options I have right now.

Thanks again sweetie! biggrin.gif

I'm near the end of my 5 month course and got highlights done Saturday. My hair looks and feels great. My sister (who is my stylist) also convinced me to try Pureology.