Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ive been reading a lot of posts where people have been vehemently bashing the diet/acne link, as well as a number of posts that are hardcore supportive.

one thing that ive noticed a number of people have been saying (and that i find very interesting) is that they eat "extremely healthy," have for a number of years, and yet still have acne.

well, im a new member here, and only just started writing up my current regimen/story, but i understand the frustration.

it was after almost a year of b5 (dramatically improved my acne but i still had days where my face resembled that of a leper) when i decided to stop b5 and try changing my diet. i even consulted a nutritionist. he recommended no soy, gluten, unorganic animal protein, dairy- pretty much the standard acne diet ive seen outlined with a few variations. after about a month with no results, i took it to another extreme, though- and for three months i ate mostly fruits and vegetables. i took a daily probiotic, as well as a "green drink." not only did my acne NOT improve, it got worse. i hadnt had such a terrible complexion since my pre-b5 days. galaxys of zits seemed to be rotating about my face, accompanied by cysts reminiscent of mole hills. i had pimples where i had never had pimples before! my neck was a mass of colorless and red bumps! every pore in my body seemed swollen and eager to spew white pus. i developed a rash that moved about my face, finally settling around my eyes. not onlydid my skin look terrible, but during this time i recieved my period 4 times in 6 weeks! i felt physically ill some days, or miserably tired, or desperately moody/anxious. i cried and cried and repeatedly contacted my nutritionist who kept assuring me that this was all part of the detoxification process and that my face would clear up soon.

by the 3rd month my face was a mess of scars, pimples, and painful swellings. this after months of the most restrictive diet i could imagine- or thought i could imagine, until i decided to cut out all fruits as well (except tomatoes and avocados). it was halfway through the 4th month when i began to notice the tiniest improvement. hopeful again, thats when i made the decision to eliminate almost all fruits. after a week i thought i could see another tiny difference. spurred by the smallest bit of progress, i tried harder. whenever i could manage it, i fasted or juice fasted. for one stretch i ate only cucumbers, for another i drank only wheatgrass. i started alkalizing my water. i added supplements (udos choice complete efa, trader joes flax seed oil, renewlifes advanced cleanse, psyllium seed husk, burdock root (only occasionally), and olive leaf).

now i am rapdily approaching month 5, and i can finally say with confidence that my skin is clearing up. i dont know if it will continue to, or if this is just a fluke, but i have absolutely no doubt that diet has a profound effect on my skin. months before i started following the nutritionists advice, i had been eating "extremely healthy" without experiencing any noticeable change in my skin. it seems that (for me at least) a drastic change and cleansing period must take place in order to experience results. and when i say drastic, i mean DRASTIC. "extremely healthy" just doesnt seem to cut it with most people- a more strict regimen is necessary. for me that includes no dairy, no meat, no eggs, no bread, no gluten, no soy, no corn, no mushrooms, no yeast. for a good chunk of the time i also had no starchy vegetables, no grains, no legumes, no fruit. i still am avoiding fruit and most starch, with the exception of an occasional small portion of legumes.

yes, my friends think im crazy. yes, my family thinks i am going to kill myself with this goddamned diet, why dont i just have some fried chicken? yes it was and still is incredibly difficult, limiting, and even embarassing to maintain this diet. but i am slowly seeing results. hopefully- my god i hope- eventually i will be able to slowly add things to my ridiculously restrictive diet. this "green diet" is hopefully temporary until my innards can sort themselves out.

on a positive note, some other pleasant side effects:

no more pms,

my flaky, terirble nails now grow in straight, hard and smooth,

my general moodiness and depression has dramatically improved,

my anxiety has completely dissipated,

my skin is dry and oil-free (it used to resemle an oil slick),

pores are shrinking and blackheads have literally been "rolling out" of my skin,

my breath doesnt smell,

my excess sweating has disapeared,

my tongue has gone from white to pink,

i do not get sick when the rest of my house gets the flu/stomachvirus/sore throat,

my eczema has disapeared.

i hope that i can eventually add "crystal clear skin" to this list: as it is, im still struggling. i would love to hear some feedback- i am prepared to get a lot of criticism for what ive just posted. unfortunately even fruit is pushing it for me- i exceeded my limit of 2 small pieces a day with handfuls of grapes and received 3 cysts on my forehead. i suppose it doesnt help that blood sugar instability runs in my family. my plan is to wait for my skin to compkletely clear, and then try to hold on for at least one mroe month without changing anything. next i would try to slowly introduce one new thing at a time. as it is i occasionally slip up and eat wild caught fish, starch (be it legumes, rice, or quinoa), or too much sugary fruit.

i think my progress would be more rapid if i got more excersise- im trying to incorporate that as well. (any advice would be appreciated). thsi road is certainly not for everyone- i guess my point was that diet does help, but with some people a more drastic approach (one that not everyone is willing or even able to make) is required.

wow, what an amazing story - and thank you for sharing!! smile.gif i definitely admire your determination! and i especially liked your list of positive changes you've noticed. i've been focusing intently on my own personal diet/acne link for about 5 months now as well. like you, i can say with confidence that my skin is definitely clearer due to several changes that i've made with regard to diet. and exercise is a very important part of my program. my only recommendation would be to keep up the great work, and try to incorporate at least 30 minutes of exercise into your day - even if you break it up into two 15 minute sessions to begin with or something. it helps keep my skin clearer, for sure.

perhaps you had a really bad case of candida overgrowth, hence your extreme sensitivity to fruits? i've read that some anti-candida diets recommend NO fruit whatsoever. perhaps with time, as things balance themselves out and your body has a chance to heal itself you'll be able to add more fruit in? i don't eat a lot of fruit myself. only in the mornings and usually either a golden delicious apple, or half of a canteloupe, or a few red grapes. i do eat quite a bit of raisins almost every day though. again, usually for breakfast, about 1/2 cup.

anyway i wish for your continued success and please continue to share your trials and tribulations! smile.gif

That is really great to hear. You are doing everything right. I have tried and I continue on the path but it is sooooo hard when everyone else is eating out for a special occasion. There is nothing you can eat in restaurants. And when I mentioned to a close friend about doing a short fast to let my system rest, he thought I was insane. People don't seem to understand how unhealthy our lifestyles are and it is impossible, at least for me, to maintain the lifestyle I would like because how my friends and family sort of revolve around eating out and such. I think I sort of noticed the same thing though. I ate real healthy for awhile and my skin only got worse, and I kept getting frustrated because I would get acne on my neck or on my cheek by my eye...just weird places I had never had acne before. Anway, it is difficult to be so strict especially for such a long time. I am really inspired by your story. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Wow, really inspiring story. You seem really devoted. I also eat an "extremely healthy" diet but I can't stick just to vegetables cause I would loose too much weight. I also exercise so I need fulfilling meals.

I also agree that when looking at the symptoms you used to have, you have had all the signs of candida overgrowth. I wouldn't usually say that acne is caused by candida but those are exactly the symptoms that I have read about people's experiences of candida. The fact that you have troubles with fruits and you have experienced a severe die-off effect when you changed your diet only strenghtens my assumptions. The die-off would be then caused by the dying of candida and it's a very long process. If you do suffer from candida the best way to treat it is with diet which you are already doing exactly as you should. And taking probiotics like you are doing already. You can also benefit from recycling the best natural candida killlers like garlic, oil of oregano, grapefruit seed extract, caprylic acid and olive leaf extract.

Another thing you could try is liver flushing. I believe you could really benefit from it. People's experiences with liver flushing as an acne treatment are usually very good. It would also be easy for you to incorporate it to your regimen because you already have a light diet.

I don't find this story inspiring. In fact, It's a sad example how badly misinformed some people are, when it come's to dieting.

I diet consisting of vegetables is definitly not a "extremely healthy" diet! You just can't live from vegetables only in the long run, because it doesn't give you enough nutrients! Where do you get fat-solubles vitamins from? essential fatty acids? sulfur-containing amino acids? important minerals?....I could go on and on.

I strongly recommend to integrate some animal food into your diet! A vegan diet is not healthy in the long run!

I kind of agree with paba about adding animal protein, organic if

you can like the nd recommended. But I also agree with those that

said it sounds like candida overgrowth. I think that candida causes

leaky gut in some of us, that also causes the pimple explosions.

But whenever I hear that fruit breaks one out, it sounds like the insulin/candida thing. Candida die-off can also mess up your hormonal

balance. Well, here's to your healing! eusa_clap.gif

i appreciate the concern, but actually i think i was getting too many efas! i was eating 2-3 avocados a day, as well as tons of olive oil on my salads. lately ive been wondering if the excess omega 6 in my diet might be causing an omega 3 deficiency. i substituted the olive oil on my salads for flax oil and cut down my avocado consumption. almost immediately my skin improved.

in addition to the avocados and olive oil, if i ever fried anything it was in coconut oil- another great fat source which has the adidtional benefit of assimilating efa absorption.

not only that, but i was eating sprouts almost daily (an excellent and potent living form of protein).

dont worry, ive done my research!

i also think that one of the most important things to keep in mind is to pay attention to your body. i FEEL good, much better now then i ever have. i havent lost any weight. i feel happy and stable. for me, those things are the biggest signs that i am doing something right.

i was brought up on a high animal protein diet, with a lot of unhealthy types of fats. my mother is hypoglycemic, and so she has been living on large quantities of dead animals for years in order to control her blood sugar. well, after 20 years of eating primarily animal protein, she has rheumatory arthritis, bad kidneys, bladder problems, liver problems and colon problems- just to name a few. i used to be a hardcore advocator of the high protein diet- it was what i was raised on afterall! but i think there are a lot of other things that must be kept in mind when eating low sugar/carbs, high protein- and i certainly neglected to do so in my teenage and college years. i used to think that if there wasnt a lot of sugar or carbs in my meal, that it was healthy. (mmmm, hydrogenated oils and aspartame!) my mother was guilty of the same crime, and look what happened to us!

my ideal diet is a no sugar, low starch, moderate protein, high fiber, high fat diet- key concepts that are probably not too different from yours, paba. the approach is different, but a lot of the principles are the same.

please, go on and on! id love to be shown that ive made a mistake somewhere so that i can correct it. i make tons of mistakes- id really appreciate your opinion and would like to consider your argument. however, from what ive read, it is entirely possible (and not even that difficult) to get all the required nutrients from plant sources. with the proper oils, proper food combination, and keeping most (right now for me, all) of your veggies raw, a person can easily obtain his or her protein, fat, minerals, etc. im not saying its better, i just prefer it. different things for different people, i guess.

id also like to point out that what i described in my original post isnt meant to be a permanent diet, but more of a temporary healing and cleansing time. in time i will incorporate a larger variety of foods, but for now i will stick to a mostly raw veggie routine.

im glad that you found success through atkins- just dont be sloppy. from your other posts that ive read (trolled) you seem knowledgable and well read, so i doubt that you will make the same mistakes that my mother and i made. when she started on that diet, it was long before it became fashionable, and the resources on the subject werent as easily accessible as they are today. good luck.

Thanks for sharing your story FiveAM.......best post around here in awhile and very inspriring. I totally commend you for not giving up on the diet thing even after months of good eating and breaking out. I'm a firm believer that just about any imbalance in the body can be fixed with the right diet. I agree with Heather that the exercise definitely plays an important role. The more (and the more vigorously) I exercise, the more I can "cheat" without consequences. Good luck to ya.

oh i am so encouraged by the positive responses i got! thank you for taking the time to post them!

i know exactly how you feel, gemma- theres nothing to eat in restaurants! and what do you tell people? god, i was so embarassed at first, trying to think of excuses... same with going out- of course you wind up at a bar- and within the 1st 10 minutes someone turns to you and asks "can i get you a drink?" what do you say, how do you explain? well, i realized that its actually very simple- you say "no."

i think the best part of this experience for me was the emotional factor. before, i was always trying to please people. i didnt realize it at the time (and would have vehemently denied it) but everything about my behavior was formed into an apology- im sorry for looking this way, im sorry for being this way, im sorry for me. the makeup i wore- i reasoned that "if it makes me feel better, why not?" - only undermined my confidence. if someone complimented the way i looked, i was certain that it was only because i had "tricked" them into thinking that i looked like someone or somehting else. and because i gradually put mroe and more effort into my appearance, people tended to focus on it more. i began to believe that my self worth was somehow wrapped up in my face, my body- and, most importantly, my complexion. if someone offered me something- whether it was a drink or a meal, whatever- i felt obligated to accept, as if i wasnt worthy of such a gesture. now i realize that i am worthy of so much more then a compliment or a free beer. i feel 100 times more empowered and in control of my life and my choices. i think that if i hadnt udnergone such emotional changes, i wouldnt have been able to stay disciplined for so long. (god i sound like i could be the spokeswoman for tv for women)

i also got acne in weird places! who gets a pimple on their eyelid? ha. i do, i do! that phase has finally subsided, though, and now im waiting, hoping that the rest of it will disapear for good this time!

pmezak, i appreciate your concern but im not worried about animal protein at this point. ive got no beef with the dead animals (ha) but after my first water fast i just didnt ant to eat them anymore. i dont know why. maybe its a passing phase and theyll seem appetizing again, i dont know. however, i did start using egg yolks lately as a source of lechithin. the strictness of this diet is also temporary- (i hope i hope!)- when my skin clears and i feel 100% better i plan on consuming a larger variety of foods. thanks for your support, though.

geezer, can you tell me anything mroe about liver flushing? ive heard a lot of contradictory information about it. thanks for saying that i was devoted- but i didnt start out that way. i was desperate when i began. looking back at my lifestyle and my mental/physical health i cant believe i survived. i was never a very motivated person- and certainly not a focused or disciplined person! i BECAME one somewhere along the way.

heather- the excersise thing is a great idea! im trying to be more disciplined about it.do you find that you need to shower afterwards in order to clean the sweat from your pores, or is that just another myth? (at this point its hard to tell whats real and whats not) i think youre right about the fruit- i started eating small amounts of low sugar fruits(like raspberries or papaya) in the morning, and havent experienced any negative effects from it.

(god im a verbose one tonight, arent i?)

i had to note these things, though- its so exciting to suddenly see positive results so quickly after 4/5 months of hell!

today i felt better then i think ive ever felt in my entire life. i dont remember feeling this energetic even when i was a child. while driving home from work today, i caught myself thinking, "this must be how happy people feel all the time."

my weight hasnt really changed (i never had a weight problem) but the bloating and puffiness has subsided and my waist is an inch smaller. the cellulite on my thighs has also disapeared (i was surprised by this because i never believed all that nonsense about toxis in the fat cells and such- look who has her foot in her mouth)

the dark circles under my eyes have completely disapeared.

heres a really strange thing- being so fair, i always burned in les sthen 10 minutes. it was terrible- i couldnt even walk outside without getting singed. yesterday i spent 2 hours in the morning sun ( i kept thinking, "man oh man im going to pay for this..." but the sun felt so good that i couldnt force myself inside. "its worth it," i thought.) to my great surprise, i remained unsinged! my cheeks, shoulders and nose were a little pink/burned, but by the next morning nothing but healthy skin! amazing! now, im not advocating laying out in the sun or anything like that, but it is nice to know that i can go for a walk or a bike ride without layering on the spf 50!

i feel so calm- i was so edgy before. 3 or 4 different doctors diagnosed me with every mental disorder udner the sun- including but not limited to add, ocd, generalized anxiety and bipolar disorder. each wnated to prescribe me with a different drug (and when i was younger i did take adderall, ritalin and dexedrine for years- ugh). now, here i am, completely drug free and focused, calm and happy. its amazing, i want to share what ive learned with the rest of the world but im fairly certain that theyll think im crazy.

even if my skin never got any better i dont think i would ever go back to my old ways. with every day that passes my skin seems less important- i am a PERSON, afterall- not just some animated skeleton wearing flawed skin. i dont know. im sure this sounds hokey, but i cant help posting it- im just in such a good mood right now!

oh!- and geezer? how exactly does one rotate the herbs you mentioned? ive been taking them approximately 30 minutes before meals on an essentially empty stomach, but im not sure how much, how often, how long, or even at what time of day i should take them. thanks!

geezer, can you tell me anything mroe about liver flushing? ive heard a lot of contradictory information about it. thanks for saying that i was devoted- but i didnt start out that way. i was desperate when i began. looking back at my lifestyle and my mental/physical health i cant believe i survived. i was never a very motivated person- and certainly not a focused or disciplined person! i BECAME one somewhere along the way.

oh!- and geezer? how exactly does one rotate the herbs you mentioned? ive been taking them approximately 30 minutes before meals on an essentially empty stomach, but im not sure how much, how often, how long, or even at what time of day i should take them. thanks!

Wow, you have come such a long way fiveam, and whether it was desperation or dedication which inspired you to take control of your health, you deserve all the amazing and life changing experiences, both mental and physical, that you are now starting to benefit from. As cjb has already said, your story is inspirational and your determination impressive - I thank my lucky stars that my skin is not really that effected by food (I think my problem is candida and poor elimination) as I am in love with my dinner plate most nights!! Full power to you for sticking to such massive dietry restrictions.

Can totally relate to the cellulite BTW - thoses pesky toxins are for real and they live in our thighs!! Water fasting and salt flushes ( eusa_sick.gif ) have been my salvation and my ticket to good health and skin - feels pretty good to have the legs of a teenager (give or take a little - hee hee!) again too!

Keep up the good work fiveam, may the universe keep on smilin on you..... biggrin.gif

I don't find this story inspiring. In fact, It's a sad example how badly misinformed some people are, when it come's to dieting.

I diet consisting of vegetables is definitly not a "extremely healthy" diet! You just can't live from vegetables only in the long run, because it doesn't give you enough nutrients! Where do you get fat-solubles vitamins from? essential fatty acids? sulfur-containing amino acids? important minerals?....I could go on and on.

I strongly recommend to integrate some animal food into your diet! A vegan diet is not healthy in the long run!

being vegan is not unhealthy.  this person is eating a raw food vegan diet.  I too do not know where she gets her nutrients.  You don't  HAVE to have animal food in order to get enough nutrients.  But you can believe that if you like.

it's not a believe, it's a scientific fact, that you can't get vitamin b12 on a vegan diet. other nutrients are very difficult to obtain without animal food, like sulfur-containing amino acids, fat soluble vitamin a and d, certain minerals and long chain poly-unsaturated fatty acids.

I don't want to open a new discussion about this. we discussed it already in the following thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...topic=47554&hl=

or check out the following web-site:

www.beyondveg.com

FiveAM, have you come across Waisays.com? Its interesting. Im gonna try the liver flush tomorrow, i think. I drank epsom salt with water today, it was nasty but i ate a raisin everytime i stopped gulping to cover the taste. I also took an epsom salt and ginger bath, which is supposed to help "detoxify", and it made my skin sooo soft!

I know that eliminating waste is definetely one factor to acne because i once went to this old chinese herbalist whogave me powdered herbs to boil and drink everyday-and it made me go all the time (cuz all my life my bowel movements had been like once or twice a week!), and the acne i had cleared up quite a bit. So i will see how the liver flush will go, im afraid i will be sick to death, but i will keep everyone posted.

Your story just goes to show you need to give your skin, and by that I mean body really, time to adjust itself. This often means the odd, sometimes more, spot coming up. Perhaps this is even the body getting rid of a toxin through your skin. But after all the toxins are gone and more importantly the things, like problems with your liver, bowls, etc, that create the toxins are detoxed your body will eventually no longer need to rid its toxins through your skin.

This leads to a problem with checking your diet. In my case one day I ate quite a lot of pumpkin seeds and the next day I had a three spots. I though "I must stop eating pumpkin seeds!". But infact it had nothing to do with that, or anything else I ate, as those things had been checked before. It was just body body giving out a random toxin for my skin to deal with. Eventually I hope my body will get better, though all the stuff i'm doing, and stop giving out any toxins.

FIVEAM: Congratulations on your remarkable efforts, and not to udermine them but what you are achieving can be achieved to the same degree if not moreso with a less restrictive diet IF coupled with regular liver flushing. You see, your whole diet is bascially one great big long drawn-out maintenance-level liver flush. All the benefits you are experiencing, at great sacrifice and difficulty by your own admission, can be equally achieved (if not moreso) by performing liver flushes. This significantly improves and often gradually serves to altogether resolve acne in most anyone who tries it. Seriously. It's just that so few do. Sadly. Please give it a try. Of course if you are content with the diet you are currently on by all means keep it up. But do know that performing regular liver flushes can accomplish in a matter of days the same internal cleansing effect that you are taking months and great lengths to achieve. I have a very thorough and effective variation of the liver flush myself included in my own program linked below. http://www.sensiblehealth.com and http://www.curezone.com are also well stocked with a wide variety of flushes.

really??? i am very happy to hear that!

ive read a lot about liver cleansing, but i was under the impression that the bowels had to first be cleansed, etc. ive been cautious about trying them, because i cant seem to find consistant information. some sites say fast after 2 pm, others say fast for 4 days, drink juice for 4 days, cleans eyour bowels for 7 days then take herbs for 2 weeks... and for every liver cleansing site i look up i tend to find 2 or 3 other cleanses- seems that theres a cleanse for every organ in the body! its confusing; im afraid that there is a certain order that these things must be done in, and that i will somehow slip up and upset the balance of things.

in your experience, is it beneficial and safe to do a liver cleanse without proceeding it with other cleanses? i will click on the links you provided (havent looked at them yet) thank you for being so helpful! its so nice to be able to talk to someone about these thinsg and be taken seriously.

PABA- not sure if you were directing the b12 comment to me, as i am not a vegan, but only assumed a vegan diet for temporary cleansing purposes. in the beginning of my transition period to the diet i am on now, i occasionally consumed wild caught fish and organic egg yokes. (i still eat egg yokes occasionally to make sure that i get the lecithin my body needs, just n ot on a regular basis or as part of a meal) when i return to a more normal diet i will again consume organic eggs as well as wild caught fish, but since having been through this experience i do not think i could ever eat most meat again. although i had no problem with it in the past, the idea of consuming captive, tame animals for food saddens me. he more i learn about the food industry, the less willing i am to support it with my hard-earned dollars. if i ever did eat meat it would have to be either wild caught or maybe (just maybe!) raised free-range on an organic-type farm. oops! you probably dont wnat to know all of that!

anyway, about b12. im not concerned about my perosnal intake of b12, as the daily requirements of it are so minimal that a short break from it should not have much (if any) effect on my body. however, as far as i know (which might not be much, as physics is my area of study, not biology!), you are absolutely right about b12. there is no reliable source of b12 that can be obtained from a vegan diet (known at this time). it is a relatively simple matter to supplement it, though, and one i strongly recommend. supplementation is a perfectly adequate method of obtaining nutrients if done correctly. i personally believe that a person following a vegan diet can enjoy vibrant health if he or she takes care to eat a balanced diet, get plenty of sunshine, and supplement the few (extremely few... b12 is the only one i know of) nutrients that he or she cannot get through foods.

I was going to do a liver flush without cleansing before it, but i read that its bad for your kidneys because they have to deal with the toxins you release after a liver flush. So its best to do a kidney cleanse beforehand. There's something called the watermelon cleanse, where you OD on only watermelons for the whole day and pee like crazy, and this is a cleanse that clears your kidneys. I think a day later you can do the liver cleanse.