Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I started getting acne when I was about 19 and have had it for about 4 years now. I have tried everything from BP to SA, regimen included, with absolutely no results. When I try something new it seems to clear me for a few days, then it comes right back with continual use. I only get cysts or small whiteheads on the left and right sides of my chin right under my mouth, nowhere else. Right now I have 2 cysts on the left side that I can feel coming up, when I barely push on the skin there it hurts. I have been using tea tree oil and manuka oil on them and it seems to help somewhat, but if I put the amount on them that I need to make it go away, it dries my skin so much that it peels eventually. I eat healthy, but it seems like if I eat chocolate or something like that I get more whiteheads immediately, but the cysts are there no matter what.

I can't deal with this anymore, my skin below my mouth is always red and when one cyst goes away, a new one comes up immediately. Can anyone please reccomend a solution for me that has had the same type of acne? I want to try accutane but I don't have insurance, if I can pay for it somehow online without consulting a doctor I would try it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Jason,

I know how difficult this is for you. I've had cystic acne since I was 20. I'm now 49, so I have tried quite a few things in my lifetime so far. Here is what has worked and not worked for me.

Accutane worked. I've had 3 courses throughout my 20's and 30's. After a course, the effects would last for years; and then a cysts would start cropping up again and I'd go through another course of Accutane. It worked very well for me and gave me a lot more confidence, but it is harsh on the body. Worth it if your body handles it well.

I had a lot of success with Cuticura soap, and it is inexpensive. You might try that. Be sure to just wash with your hands, as scubbing or using a washcloth really irritates your skin and will make you break out much more.

Proactive has worked well for me (and it is what I am currently using), but I only use the cleanser and don't rub hard. The toner made me break out more, so I don't use it. I also don't use their BP, because it even tends to break me out. Their Refining Mask works really well as a spot treatment left on overnight (only on the cyst itself). It contains sulfer, which works really well for me to decrease inflammation.

Right now, I use the Proactive cleanser, and then I use ROC Retinol Actif Pur. It says anti-wrinkle treatment on it, but I am not using it for wrinkles. I find that the AHA in it is really helping my skin by sluffing off old cells. It makes my skin much clearer.

My skin hates: anything Oil of Olay, the BP regime, Clearasil, Stridex, etc.

I am also taking Doxycycline right now by mouth. I took Minocycline for 14 years, and it seemed to help, but then my teeth turned greyish from using it too long.

Noelle

I'm also trying Aloeguard. I've been using it as a cleanser once a day for the last three days. It appears to be working well. It is an anti-microbial liquid soap which kills bacteria for up to 12 hours. I'll let you know how it works.

One more caveat.....

Pleasedo not use Accutane without being followed closely by a dermatologist or other physician. They must take blood tests periodically to see how your liver is functioning while on it. It could be dangerous if not prescribed and followed by a physician. eusa_pray.gif

I started getting acne when I was about 19 and have had it for about 4 years now. I have tried everything from BP to SA, regimen included, with absolutely no results. When I try something new it seems to clear me for a few days, then it comes right back with continual use. I only get cysts or small whiteheads on the left and right sides of my chin right under my mouth, nowhere else. Right now I have 2 cysts on the left side that I can feel coming up, when I barely push on the skin there it hurts. I have been using tea tree oil and manuka oil on them and it seems to help somewhat, but if I put the amount on them that I need to make it go away, it dries my skin so much that it peels eventually. I eat healthy, but it seems like if I eat chocolate or something like that I get more whiteheads immediately, but the cysts are there no matter what.

I can't deal with this anymore, my skin below my mouth is always red and when one cyst goes away, a new one comes up immediately. Can anyone please reccomend a solution for me that has had the same type of acne? I want to try accutane but I don't have insurance, if I can pay for it somehow online without consulting a doctor I would try it out. Any help would be appreciated.