Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
danielle23

Differin--Well, I'm almost clear now but...:(

Well, I have finally cleared up...However, I think that it has nothing to do with the differin my derm prescribed. I always start to clear up when I get to "that time" of the month, that is why I am not happy. Differin has made me do nothing but breakout like crazy the last six weeks. ](*,) I am afraid that after my monthly, that my acne will come back just as hard. I hope the bad acne is just a sign that the differin is working...I am so impatient.

It is just so hard to spend so much money on something that has made my cheeks look like a pizza party. On the bright side, my visit to the derm has made me more health conscious. Now I try to drink a couple of glasses of water before bedtime and I take vitamins everyday. Sorry to vent, but I feel pretty bad looking at all the red marks coving my face right now...wondering when new zits will take their place. Ugh.

On the bright side, my husband is being very supportive, even though he has no idea how I feel (he has beautiful skin). Family is a great thing to have when feeling down...:D

Hello Danielle,

I just wanted to tell you that I'm using differn too! This wasn't prescribed by my current Derm, I asked for it. Coz I remember 3 years ago when I was on accutane, the derm told me after my course, I should use differin or retin-a for the rest of my life. Of coz I didn't heed her advice. Recently my face broke out again. Pimples and cysts, so I went and got some anti biotics and differin.

I've noticed the same thing as you are, that I'm breaking out worse. But then I attributed it to the existing blackheads, whiteheads and comedones coming to the surface. I've been examining my face very closely these past few weeks. I think differin has kept new comedones at bay.

It will take time to see results, I'll give it 2-3 months. Are you using ONLY differin for acne? Maybe that's not quite enough.

Hi Danielle,

I am currently using Differin. I've had acne since I was 12 years old and I am turning 30 this year. My back and chest are the worst areas and I had only mild acne on my face. So for those worse areas I had been prescribed Eryacne gel, Retin A, Minocycline, etc. etc. My face had been manageable with OTC medications. However, since last November my back and chest had been getting extremely worse so I went and saw a derm in January this year. He prescribed me Differin which I didn't use on my face - which wasn't that bad at the time. My chest and back were the worst places. So I used that till the beginning of April when I saw him again and by that time my face was terrible - more cystic acne, and my back and chest had improved slightly. So he said to use the Differin on my face, and prescribed me Erythromycin antibiotics. I am also on Diane35ED - the birth control pill used to help acne.

At first, my face broke out sooo bad, it was disgusting and embarrassing. I broke out around my jaw and neck, which I didn't normally do - I usually have cystic acne on my cheeks. This lasted about 4 weeks. However, in the past 2 weeks I have noticed a big improvement on my face. I had very congested skin on my cheeks and around my nose, and the pores have cleared out!! However I still have marks from the initial breakout but they too seem to be fading and are covered up by makeup. I don't have any cystic pimples on my face at the moment, but I do have some blocked pores and I do have some dry patches. My chest has improved slightly, but not my back. I am seriously considering asking for Accutane when I go back to the Derm in June. Maybe a low dose will help my chest and back as my face is a lot better. I smother Differin on at night before bed, and I wash my face with Cetaphil in the morning and night. I am taking two Erythromycin every day.

I think the Differin helped me a lot as I have used it non stop for about 9 weeks now. I hope you see some improvement soon - just keep persevering with it.

Take care.