Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
swizzchard

Finding a job difficult for people with facial problems?

I'm going to be looking for my first job this summer...probably some part time mininum wage thing but I'm really scared for a few reasons.

1)I feel really uncomfortable being around large groups of people SPECIFICALLY people I dont know

2)I feel like with many people applying for summer jobs....and the fact that its my first so I have no experience, I would make it hard to make good first impressions.

3)No one would hire me because I dont have the appropriate look for their business and dealing with customers. I also might look "dirty" and "un kept"

I feel like its hopeless...but my dad is really pushing for me to get a job and I always have a hard time trying to express these types of feelings to him.

I had bad acne and some scarring when I was that young, too. I look back in photographs and videos of myself from that time, and I see a pretty young girl, I don't see scars unless I go out of my way to look for them.

I'm not trying to minimize your problems, but you're young and things can get blown out of proportion when you're that age. I've tutored high school students, many with acne and a few with scarring, and I can honestly say that scars just don't look as bad when you're young as you think they do. You've probably still got firm skin, very little sun damage, and no wrinkles, not to mention your skin stores more water and more fat.

I don't think you should try to avoid people or opportunities because of your skin. I only made things worse for myself by obsessing on my skin problems, and if I had it to do over again, I would have tried my hardest to forget about them altogether. I know it sounds trite, but I do think people will see past the scars if you have a good personality and some self-confidence.

I left school almost a year ago and since been looking for a job, full time tho, same worries as you, i blamed the few jobs i got turned dwn for on the condition of my skin not even giving a second thought as to they might of found someone more able to do the job. now im working nights shelf stacking :D it's not great but it's amazing for my confidence actaully getting the job. good luck

I got a job at McDonalds at 14 and 11 months but i didn't start getting acne until 16. Get a job packing shelves don't work where you are in the public eye because it will just make you more self conscious.

I know how you feel about not wanting to be around groups of people, especially those you don't know. I still have problems with this and I'm much older than you. It seems like I always got teased the worse when I was around groups of people.

When I was in school I knew someone who worked during the summer in a photo lab at night developing pictures. This kind of job might be good for you, if you can stand the evening work. As I recall if paid very well, but this was years ago before all the digital cameras became available, so I don't know if many of these jobs are still around.